A Fantastic OHC Rear-Engined Streamliner

mechanician

Aero-I.jpg

I was fortunate to be able to visit The Old Motor Shop last weekend for the first time. David Greenlees

who runs it showed me this photo of an unknown streamliner from the UK that had just arrived in the mail.

They posted it just this morning,so take a look and see if you can help ID it for them.

Edited by mechanician (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards

Certainly an interesting looking power plant in that car even if it appears to be otherwise flat ugly. Wonder if anyone today has any idea of the nature of the engine type and transmission arrangement.

I can say that it was registered in Berkshire County Council in June 1930. I know I have seen a photo before but cannot recall anything about it. It does indeed look as though it had an aero engine.

That is a Burney Streamline. It was designed by Sir Dennistoun Burney after he completed work on the R100 airship for Vickers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamline_Cars

The complete story of the R100 and R101 airship were given in a book called R100, also sold under the title Slide Rule. The book was written by Nevil Shute whose day job was engineer on the R100.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I wonder did it handle well and safely, or like a centipede with the scrub itch? Other cars with an overhung engine out the back, such as Isotta Fraschini 8C, and the Steyr of the brilliant Hans Ledwinka, were the much more compact V8, and apparently handled well.

That gifted sometime imitator of Ledwinka, his native countryman Ferdinand Porsche, used an even more compact engine axially in Volkswagen and Porsche. Perhaps that early streamliner may best be considered either as an experimental design concept; or as another triumph of workmanship over design.

My first thought was that it was a British version of the USA-built Scarab from back then, which used a Lycoming aircraft engine in the rear, as I recall. The rear styling of he Scarab was more "normal" in shape, though.

Looks interesting, though!

NTX5467

Guest Jim_Edwards
My first thought was that it was a British version of the USA-built Scarab from back then, which used a Lycoming aircraft engine in the rear, as I recall. The rear styling of he Scarab was more "normal" in shape, though.

Looks interesting, though!

NTX5467

At least the Scarab had a metal body, if you look at the notes along the illustration, you will note it was fabric covered just like many small aircraft. Would definitely not fair well in an accident, not even one involving a Vespa.

The Burney was a fantastically advanced design for the late twenties. But proved to be somewhat impractical. The long straight eight or straight six hanging out the back made it somewhat tail happy in high speed corners and the suspension design did not help. Later rear engine cars were more refined and tamed the eccentric handling to some degree but could not eliminate oversteer entirely.

Guest Casper Friedrich

Browsing the Austrian Allgemaine Automobil-Zeitung on Österreichische Nationalbibliotek's site.

The same Burney cut-away drawing appers in a feature from the 1930 London Olympia motor show.

It says that the streamliner already caught much attention previously at the Paris Salon, but that the idea is infact old. The text says that already before WWI there was a similar bodied Renault in Vienna. The Rumpler-Tropfenwagen is of course mentioned, although it's admitted that it in some technical details differs from the English car.

ÖNB/ANNO AustriaN Newspaper Online

Edited by Casper Friedrich (see edit history)