New 88 & Radio Issues

Guest TAC

Hello all! I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot about Reattas. After drooling over one in 1990 and not being able to afford it, I finally purchased one in May...

Red Coupe w/tan interior. Here's the best part, 23000 original miles and everything works (worked).

My first project was fixing the headlight crank/motors. Then the headlight switch went out.

Next on my agenda is doing something about the radio. The antenna works well and the stations seem to come in, but the sound is strange. One day the sound is pretty good and the next day, there is a loud screech coming out of the speakers.

After searching on this forum and reattaowner.com, I learned about the radio module going bad in some 88's. How tough is it to replace and since I don't know of any pick &pulls near me, where do I get a new one?

Welcome to the forum!

Definitely sounds like a radio module will fix your problem.

On your '88, the radio module is located inside the center console on the driver's side.

Supposedly, there are two ways to remove the radio from the console.

1) Remove the top of the console where the window switches and stuff are, and remove it from the top.

However, I have never been able to get option #1 to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The method I use is this:

2) Remove the driver's seat, then remove the screws that hold on the carpet panels on to the driver's side of the center console.

From there, you'll be able to see and remove a small silver box about 9" long, about 4" tall, and an inch or so deep.

On the subject of getting a new module, I sell rebuilt modules that are cleaned and have all the problem parts replaced. I also offer a 2-year unconditional warranty. http://forums.aaca.org/f200/rebuilt-radio-modules-318350.html

Good luck!

You can have the radio repaired or find another in a salvage yard. The standard Riviera used the same module. Rivieras has a Bose option and that would probably work but you would not have the powered speakers.

I have never looked inside the 88-89 radio module, but suspect the problem is the same output caps that go bad on the 1990-91 radios.

OK, I'll admit that 40 degrees on Dec 31st in NE Ohio is warm, but the temps will drop soon and the salt trucks are just waiting!

Guest steveskyhawk

It was in the high seventies here today. Not a cloud in the sky with a light breeze. I find that taking the 88-89 radio module out from the side is easier and there is less chance of damaging the console top. M&R Electronics in Saginaw has done a dozen or so radios for me and no complaints