New 88 Reatta owner

SeanR

Hi everyone,

Well looks like I was already registered years ago when I was looking for either a Reatta or Fiero. I just picked up a pretty clean blue 88 coupe. It will join my two Fiero GTs and '10 Acura TL SHAWD fleet. This Reatta has 16 way power seat, no moonroof, and 43k miles. Spent over 5 hours reading threads last night before making the decision to buy the Reatta late today. I was freaked out about the lack of windshields and other $$$ issues.

Although must admit this one is pretty mechanically sound. It just has a sagging headliner, storage latch that's broke, and door pull caps are missing. The power seat control box seems to be busted because can't help but mash it down when getting in/out of the car. Stupid idea to put a large control box there. Don't understand why they put the power windows in the middle and the seat controls on the door. :rolleyes:

So much yet to learn. I'm subconsciously disliking the rear bubble window (feel like I'm in a fishbowl being watched by drivers behind me). Nothing tint can't fix. :D Hope that feeling goes away soon but other than that the car has great lines.

Is there a registry for VIN? Anything I should watch out for?

Welcome. I hated the rear of the reatta at first but you'll grow to like it. I like the window in the back. You turn around and you have no blind spots, you can see everything. Like the rock said "dont worry it'll sink in" :D you're going to get the disease just watch

Welcome to the forum! The cure for being watched is to put a spoiler on the rear to block their view. :) You may not like the one I have but there are lots of choices:

Alero Spoiler Installation Instructions*-*ReattaOwner.com

You can replace the headliner yourself:

Headliner Removal Instructions*-*ReattaOwner.com

Visit my website and spend a little time there. Lots of good information there for new Reatta owners.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree, the back window will grow on you. There's virtually no blind spot!

If you're in need of any parts, feel free to call or email me at any time. I'm happy to help with what ever I can. In the unlikely event I don't have the item you need in stock, I can get it for you.

Don't fret parts availability (I.E. windshields, etc), I've never had a problem at all finding any parts for my cars. Windshields cost a pretty penny, but they're not unobtainium yet.

Most any problems you have on your car will be able to be fixed easily and relatively affordably.

Again, welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay! :)

Thanks for the suggestions. The headliner should be easy as I've done several in the Fiero, so I know how they can turn into flaky potato chips. Just not sure where I could find exact blue match material. Are the door pull caps still available? How do i fix the power seat control box? Is it common for the mounting hole to get ripped?

This one has 43k miles and no sun fade. The inside is a rich blue. I picked it up for 5k out the door price from a dealer who initially listed it for $12k. It is a 2 owner car. Came with leather covered owners guide and warranty booklet. The dealer replaced a leaky water pump and trans gasket, ohh and did a plug/wire replace because of a misfire code. Is that good deal? All my F&F are just in disbelief asking why i would want "an old bubble car with a Tron tv". ;-)

The only one I can help with is the control box. Usually overtightening breaks the plastic bottom of the four screws. I have used JBWeld and four small (#10 ?) flat washers to create a new bottom for each of the screw tunnels. It works for me.

Hi everyone,

I'm subconsciously disliking the rear bubble window (feel like I'm in a fishbowl being watched by drivers behind me). Nothing tint can't fix. :D Hope that feeling goes away soon but other than that the car has great lines.

wait til summer when the car gets up to 150 degrees sitting in a parking lot.

wait til summer when the car gets up to 150 degrees sitting in a parking lot.

Not too worried here in the PNW where the average Summer temp struggles to get past 85 degrees. Although there was the unique summer of 2008 where inside of my house was cooking at 113 degrees at night time (PNW homes rarely have central A/C). :rolleyes:

Guest Kingsley

SeanR - With reference to your seat control pod mounted on the driver seat, this is not an uncommon failure at all. In analyzing the frequency of complaints, it would appear that the potential volume for an injection molded replication is not warranted; however, I have made a mold from an existing part and will try some different approach. Will keep everyone posted as to progress. I currently have three projects underway which have an impact on all year models of the Reatta. The market for them is known and, as the devil is in the details, it is a matter of making certain that the product is professional in every way.

Did you buy that 88' that was in Olympia I think it was?

1988 Buick Reatta

If you did you got a beauty. I just love that color and the car looked well cared-for.

That would be the one! When I first saw the ad it was around 12k and I kinda laughed. Then I kept watching it for several weeks drop dramatically and thought there is no way this car is gonna last at 4990. I went to go look at it and someone had the car overnight. So I figured I was too late. I first looked at it and was NOT impressed but I had this nagging feeling that I couldnt let a 43k mile car go to some dirtbag that would just destroy a limited production car.

They replaced the water pump, trans gasket, and battery so to me that felt like it brought the mechanicals up to 100% reliability. The windshield didnt even have a single pit on the glass. The front bumper has zero nicks or scratches. I just thought it was strange to have broken latches and power seat controller damage for a low mile car.

I made them a lowball offer and they took it. When I picked it up, they did a thorough detail on it that made it look brand new and totally changed my prior hesitation to buy it.

Sean,

Congrats on a great find. That car looks really sharp. I do like dark blue paint of the 88/89 models, though not so much a fan myself of the blue interior. Anyway, looks like you made out well. Very similar to the story of my 91, it also started out very high on price, came down 3 times before I jumped at it. It was not nearly as nice as the one you just bought at the time I purchased it, and I put a lot into it.

It is my qualified opinion that it is much better to start with a good clean lower mileage car than to spend so much time and money chasing problems and fixing/restoring a car in lesser condition because the money saved on the purchase will be quickly blown on repairs and upgrades.

Luckily my 88 was a deal more like the one you just picked up, it needed much less work to get back into the condition I prefer.

In any case, enjoy and take good care of that car; it is a very clean specimen based on the pictures.

KDirk