Power antenna repair

Barney Eaton

Antenna repair<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->I repair Reatta and any other GM power antenna from 1980 to present.

The problem is almost always the plastic line that raises and lowers the mast. If you mast will not move and the motor continues to run that is the problem.

Price to repair YOUR antenna is $60.00 including return shipment.

Email me at (Barney@texas.net) to get shipping address or answer questions.

If your antenna mast is up and cannot be easily pushed down, it can be removed by (1) remove the black plastic part at the base of the mast, it unscrews counter-clockwise. (2) pull the mast out of the part that comes thru the fender.......... see attached photo.

This allows you to remove the antenna from the car and the packaging is smaller.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>111228d1324477549t-antenna-repair-ant-stop.jpg

</FIELDSET>

Great news Barney as no one really makes an aftermarket replacement that has the correct escucheon. What kind of material are you replacing the plastic line that pulls the antenna up and down? How long would you warranty the work? I replaced one and it lasted about 3 years then was broke again.

I replace the plastic cord with steel cable that is plastic coated. The steel gives virtually lifetime performance and the plastic coating keeps the steel from wearing out the other plastic parts. There will be an antenna rebuild article in an upcoming ROA magazine.

My warranty is better than you get from GM (which is nothing) I will cover rebuilt antennas on an individual basis, there are too many things that can go wrong. Like if someone bends the mast then the unit stops working, I cannot be responsible for things like that.

In reality, the #1 problem with these antenna is the plastic line, like you said the plastic breaks, even the new plastic part that GM was selling only lasted a few months.

• 1 month later...

Update....... my original post said 1980 up repair, but I have ventured into the earlier antenna and just finished a 1968 Riviera antenna for a ROA member.

I can repair the broken plastic cable on these antenna but I do not have any spare parts. The mast must be reasonably straight (not kinked) and have all the parts.

My turn around is usually one day after I receive the antenna.

My price is revised because of increased shipping cost and the early Riviera antenna will not fit into a medium size Priority Mail box.... repair price is $75

plus shipping which run $15 at this time

Picture of finished antenna shown below

post-30596-143138852161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Guest 75RivGS

Question about 68 pwr antenna: when the antenna is completely down should the tip be flush with the chrome antenna nut on the rear fender?

Got 2 68 power antennas and both stick out about 2" when fully retracted....

This is just some helpful or useless information. All three of my 85 Riviera's and 84 Eldorado TC have working power antenna's I have taken them out of the cars and took them apart and repacked with grease and cleaned them up of the gunk. When I have taken the units out and got them open there has been a lot of dirt and grime in the cases which can cause the antenna to get dry and brittle and brake. Now with that said I hope I did not bring a curse on my antenna’s

P.S not a fun job

• 2 weeks later...

I am venturing into the earlier antennas, recently did a 1968 Riviera power antenna and have done some mid '70 GM power antenna.

I will gladly work you on repairing your antenna, but I do not have spare parts for the units before 1980....... some people send me two antenna to get one good one.

Let me know if I can help......... 512-869-5114 Barney@texas.net

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I want to thank everyone that has sent me an antenna to rebuild. I even have Ford people calling me now for rebuilds.

Also am getting call about custom car covers, apparantly Ray has placed one of my old ads in the ROA magazine. Yes, I have custom covers for all year Riviera (and other cars)

I do not make covers.... I have been selling Covercraft for 30 years this month and I sell at factory direct prices. We have 14 different materials to cover all your needs (and totally confuse you) I pay the shipping anywhere in the continental US. I take Paypal or checks.

Present delivery is about 1 week. Please call if you have any questions and/or want a quote........ 512-869-5114

• 1 year later...

Barney the power antenna you repaired works great!! It sits just right in the fender, doesn't lean too much. So nice to finally have a factory power antenna working properly.

Guys get those broke antennas sent to Barney for the steel cable replacement. Works great! Thanks again

Guest wildcat465

Yep, just installed on my 84 a few weeks ago before installing fender for paint.

Works like a champ, Barney how do you do this magic so inexpensively?

• 1 month later...
Guest HessLakeGuy

To all:

It is starting to warm up here in Michigan and I will get one of my cars out very soon. Coldest spring ever here in Michigan.

I am taking a 1989 antenna to the Post Office, hopefully this afternoon. I will enclose the $$$$ in the box with the unit.

No hurry.

Tom

The weather here in Kansas is abominable. Two weeks ago there was snow on the ground in Wichita, and yesterday record highs were set all over the state. I was in a salvage yard making a list of parts I wanted pulled and when I got back to my car, the thermometer read 103* Will there be no nice weather that I can spend with my car?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...