Another question

414TATA

Just asking advice here on start up. The car is garaged and the inside temp has not been lower than 55 F. The car sat for 4 days with out starting it. It has a new battery, and the carbs have been rebuilt. This morning when I went to start the car I just depressed the peddle to the starter and it would not start. Just kept cranking. I tried a few times, using a few pumps of the peddle. I was thinking I flooded it, so I waited. a few more tries and it finally did start. My question. In this moderate temperature should I pump the peddle a few times if the car has not been started for a few days?:confused: When it is up to normal engine temp. I only depress one time to the starter and it kicks.

Thanks

Wayne

1941 Super

post-78086-143138737564_thumb.jpg

Check if the same problem happens the next day.

Our car starts no trouble if it's only a few days between runs. But anything over a week and it has to wait till petrol gets to the carb. Some people use electric pumps to get the petrol there a bit quicker - or ether to hurry it up.

I would also guess that the carb dries out (mine does), so pumping the pedal has no use if there is nothing left in the carb chamber. If you don´t have an electric fuel pump, starter spray does it or fill in some gas through the check hole of the carb with a syringe. It has become almost a ritual with my Coupe when it sat for a while.

Christian

On both of mine, if there've been sitting for more than 3/4 days they will take a bit more cranking to start. If left overnight, or a couple of days, they generally start right up with one pump, and then hit the starter and away they go.

If the carb gets flooded, you will smell gas pretty quick, if you don't then the carb was likely just dry.

Keith

Guest Grant Magrath

The coupe starts a lot easier since we addressed the leaky carb. The float bowl would empty overnight and we would have to wind it over for ages to refill the bowl. But a few pumps of the gas pedal is normal.

Cheers

Grant

Wayne,

If my '41 sits for a few days, it sometimes takes about 30 seconds on the pedal. I just about give up and stop, but then it turns over.

I have resisted putting an electric fuel pump at the gas tank on my straight eight Buicks. In the air cleaner plenum I drilled a tiny hole just large enough to fit the red plastic wand from a spray can of Walmart carburetor cleaner into. I drill the hole so that the carb cleaner will enter the throat of the carb. I then hit the gas pedal and it gives me several good RPM's before stopping. Sometimes 2 shots will bring enough gas to the carburetor so it will then start. The idea is to avoid cranking the starter too long. I use carb cleaner instead of starter fluid as the latter is too volatile and may cause damage.

Unless I tell someone they never see the hole in the air cleaner plenum.

Joe, BCA 33493

Wayne,

You California guys have it so good !

Pity us here in Colorado. 8500 ft above sea level (no air), 16 degrees (F) in the barn (cold), full of 10% ethanol (what they now call gasoline) and she's sat for a week with 15w-40 in her belly.

Now try to start the old girl.....

1. lift hood passenger side and hook up battery ground.

2. lift hood drivers side.

3. open drivers door turn key on and flip on electric fuel pump.

4, run around to see if fuel has filled the glass bowl filter (period correct) @ the carb inlet.

5. spray a shot of either in the copper air filter screen.

6. pull the throttle (gas pedal) rod at the carb (carbby for Grant) back to engage starter.

7. if she starts, play with throttle rod to keep her running till warm.

8. if no start, repeat steps 5 and 6.

9. close both hood sides and back out of garage.

10. go get wife (who's been patiently waiting in the house) and announce "she's ready dear".

Works every time, unless you have a "marvel" carb like Sandy.

In that case, your on your own..........

Mike in Colorado

BCA# 45728

AACA# 994416

Guest Grant Magrath

Didn't they have those heaters you could hook up under your hood to keep things warm overnight? Kerosene fueled or something like that.

BTW Mike, you have bushings, we have bushes! Danny and I should compile an ANZAC to American dictionary!

Cheers

Grant

GRANT,

Bushes (?) aren't they something you hide behind ? Did I not spell "carbby" right ?

Having had an MG-TD for several years, I do know boot, bonnet, and which end of the car they are @.

Haven't heard from Sandy yet on how he starts his "33's. I think he rebuilds his Marvel for each trip and takes it in the house after each trip.

Mike

Guest Grant Magrath
GRANT,

Bushes (?) aren't they something you hide behind ? Did I not spell "carbby" right ?

Having had an MG-TD for several years, I do know boot, bonnet, and which end of the car they are @.

Haven't heard from Sandy yet on how he starts his "33's. I think he rebuilds his Marvel for each trip and takes it in the house after each trip.

Mike

Bushes never fail to amuse! Your carbby spelling is fine.

The English have some weird names for things. A station wagon is a shooting brake I think. I'm sticking to American!

Cheers

Grant