A Shocking Question.

Guest Double M

Guest Double M

Shocks.

I need new ones. The car is getting quite bouncy.

I know a some Buicks ride like a boat, but I think it is time to get new ones up front for sure.

Any recomendations? Are they Shocks or are they Struts?

Angelo

I believe they have struts in front. Look in your wheel well front and see if the coil springs surround the 'shock.' That's a strut.

Might be struts in back, but not much difference.

Guest Kitskaboodle

They are struts all the way around I believe.

Would NOT recommend KYB's anymore because I have found they lose their

compressability/strength at relatively early miles.

Would suggest Monroe Sensa-Trac's or something else instead.

Kit

The front units are easy to come by. They are the same as a Riviera and while I don't have the needed parts books, believe Toronado, Seville, and Eldorado of the same years used the same front units (the factory valving may have been different, but 20 years later, the aftermarket probably makes one part number for all of them)

On the rear, same as above except everything EXCEPT Reatta use air leveling suspension, so there is a air connection on the rear unit. This makes the Reatta a different part number and while available, most parts stores must special order them.

You can use the air strut and put just a small amout of air in them.

Rivera uses air ? Could use air on the back of a Reatta, just add tubing and a fitting. Handy if towing a trailer or carrying cement pavers in the trunk.

Or 20 each 20 pound turkeys. It is Thanksgiving time again... No need for rear shocks yet.

Also DoubleM Based on Padgetts advice I just now placed an order on Amazon for two Monroe SensaTraks #71854 front struts and two front Monroe strut mount kits #901990 Total delivered cost $234.00.

I had shopped around and Amazon had the best price.

Rivera uses air ? Could use air on the back of a Reatta, just add tubing and a fitting. Handy if towing a trailer or carrying cement pavers in the trunk.

The Rivieras of that generation have an air pump back by the gas tank that auto-levels the car. Bet it would be easy to retrofit to a Reatta.

Some vehicles, like the Rendezvous w/tow package, route the air line up to the cargo area in the rear and provide a panel with an outlet and manual on/off switch. Handy for filling beach balls, air mattresses, and the occasional tire.