Tri-city Chrome??

airbrushguy

Well I drove from Raleigh NC to Elizabethton TN, about 250 miles each way on Saturday drop off my bumpers and some other parts at Tri-city. Their prices were reasonable with the following charges for a 1930 Buick model 68:

Bumpers - 2-bar each for front and rear - $400 per each end of the car

Bumperettes - $40 each. There are 3 small ones on each bumper

Sidemount braces with nuts - $110 each side

Cowl light mounts - $50 each side

Couple misc large nuts - $5 each

Note they only plate steel with their primary business being bumpers. They had huge racks of the more popular bumpers already plated and available on an exchange basis.

The customer service was excellent thus far. They said that their business slows after August and thus would be able to complete the job in 5 or 6 weeks which seems to be a good turnaround time. Very positive experience so far and will report back once I receive my parts.

Thanks,

What was wrong with bumper boyz? I have used them twice no problems. Bill

I have used them as well. The only recommend I have is look at the product before excepting. I rejected a bumper before getting one that was done right.

Hi Guys,

OK, Airbrushguy and Michael have gotten me all excited about getting my '30 model 47 chrome done at Tri-City Chrome. I have a few questions:

1)There is a heavy steel plate that encircles the inside of the bottom of the chrome radiator shell. It does not appear to have been chromed, and it is riveted to the radiator shell with large 3/8"? diameter rivets. The rivets are chromed on the outside and plain on the inside. Should I remove that plate before chroming?

2) Should I remove the bolt that is somehow wedged into the back of the three chrome bumperetes on the front bumper?

3)The heads of my hood hold down brackets are brass. Where they polished brass when new, or has all the chrome worn off?

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger
spelling (see edit history)

Hello Dwight,

1) Could you post a picture of this item. Not sure exactly what you are referring to.

2) I left the bolts in my bumperetes as the originals had traces of chrome on them. Don't think this will be an issue for you.

3) These should be chrome plated for 1930. Nickel plated in previous years. For 1930 all the plating on the outside of the car was done in chrome, however the inside was nickel. Note that Tri-city only plates steel, so you might want to send them elsewhere.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Dwight,

On average I would say that my bumpers looked similar to your radiator shroud based on your pictures. Some minor pitting with a considerable amount of chrome left. The same could be said about the other parts that I sent there as well. Your bumpers look considerably worse than mine originally did.

Today I sent out a second batch of parts that needed to be plated to Lakeside Custom Plating in Conneaut, Ohio. That is probably not to far from your location. They quoted me the following ball park estimates on some of the parts in this batch:

Short cowl band trim $80-$90 each

Long Cowl band trim $140-$160

Instrument surround $150

Crank Hole Cover $80-$90

Emergency Brake assembly $200

Some of these are chrome and others polished nickel. Note that Tri-city only plates steel, so I am using a different company for this second group of parts, many of which are non-ferrous metal.

Thanks,

post-63406-143138734627_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Thanks Michael.

I guess I will expect a little higher estimate than yours, but I am still going to give them a try.

I actually drive right past Librandi's Chrome Plating in Middletown, PA three times a week, so I am going to get an estimate there also. I expect them to be very high, but business is really slow.

I will have to look at my cowl band again. I thought mine was steel?

Dwight

Dwight,

The cowl band may actually be steel. I just missed mine on my first pass when gathering up parts to take to Tri-city.

That is in fact a picture of my car, however mine was to the best of my knowledge never listed on eBay although I could be wrong about that. Here is the link to my car from the dealer where I purchased it a couple of years ago. He has never removed the original link from his site:

1930 Buick 68 series 5 window coupe believed to have been owned by Joe Lewis, World Heavy Weight Boxing Champion American Classics | 1930 Buick 68 series 5 window coupe believed to have been owned by Joe Lewis, World Heavy Weight Boxing Champion | ma

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Dwight:

Labrandi's did my 37-41 bumpers and bumperetts over 3 years ago which were not in bad shape. $1,650!!! I am repainting my 25-25 radiator shell with

3 coats of Mastermark silver primer wet- block sanding and respraying in a nickel/chrome like enamel. After all its to be a driver.

Larry in Chambersburg

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback!

What was the finish like when you sent the parts out?

My radiator suround is all chome but has alot of very small pits.

My bumpers don't have any chrome on them at all anymore.

Thanks,

Dwight

If it helps...my '39 bumpers looked terrible. They were not bent or dented but there was very little stable chrome and where it had peeled off the metal was rough and very pitted.

They came back looking perfect. $400 each bumper and about $375 for the five bumper guards.

I'm ready to drop off my tail light potmetal at Lakeside Plateing in Conneaut, Ohio. They did a fantastic job on my trunk lip edging a few weeks ago. It was heavily pitted and cracked at the key hole. I can't see any pits through the chrome and it shines great. They re-welded the key hole opening and reinforced it with a thin wire that cannot be seen.

Bill

I'm interested in Atlantic Coast Plating but haven't had the time to get in touch with them. Has anyone had some potmetal parts rechromed and could they show pics and prices? My pieces have very few pits except for the door handles. I can get rechromed door handles from Bob's Automobilia for $140 each but would like to think someone could rechrome them for less. Am I realistic?

I need my 2-piece '39 grille, 4 exterior door handles,the hood ornament, trunk hinges and the pice on the trunk that the handle goes into. Any idea what that should cost me? Like I said, only the Door handles are pitted, the others are just worn away.

Thanks