1935 chevy suburban

Guest crafty2148

Guest crafty2148

Hi,

I currently own a 1935 suburban in good condition and still runs. Since this year is so rare for this car, i am having a hard time putting a value on the car. Does anyone know or can direct me to someone who would know about how much this vehicle would be worth. I have talked to some collectors and they seem to think that it is priceless and that it is only worth what people are willing to pay.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

You need to give us some kind of idea of where you're located if you're interested in someone looking at your vehicle. Otherwise, you need to post some good quality photos of the vehicle. One person's idea of "good condition" is another person's idea of "almost a parts car," and visa versa.

That was the first year for the Chevrolet Suburban.

Guest crafty2148

The car runs fine. It was repainted back in the late 80's but hasn't seen much sunlight and always has a cover on it. The inside is in good shape with new upholstery and everything is clean and working. This vehicle is not in show room condition mainly because it was tried to be kept as original as possible but it is in really good shape. The Chevy museum in Detroit offered $20,000 cash back in the late 60's for this car and is still interested, which is why i am looking around to see what other people thought. I am kind of looking for a ballpark number but doesn't have to be exact. I don't have any pictures to post as of now but i will try to get some up as soon as i can.

I agree with West. This is an iconic vehicle brand and model, and sight unseen in the condition you describe, the $20K sounds about right.

A lot of moderately restored cars (i.e. not up to current restoration standards) have barely retained or lost value over the last 30 years, as the cost of restoration goes up and up.

When the EPA finally shuts down the next to last chrome shop, and there's only one shop left in the U.S., THEN the restoration will cease as costs become truly prohibitive (instead of just exorbitant as today)....

Guest crafty2148

Hmm thats interesting. I have been in talks with some car collectors and they are giving me estimates in the $100,000 ranges.

I think the reason why Restorer32 is asking is because there isn't a Chevrolet Museum in Detroit. Which leads us to believe you're yanking our chain. And your chain is being yanked by your car collector friends as well, if they've led you to believe the value is six figures. They must be snickering behind your back.

In the 1960s, you could get any number of exotic and high-end Classic cars for much less than $20,000 (much less than $5,000 for that matter), so why would anyone offer that much for a Chevrolet Suburban?

The old line about Chevy wanting to buy it should have been a red flag. How many times have we heard this, or them offering any new vehicle that they make make for some old car. Then there's Harrah and Leno calling them weekly, offering absurd amounts of money for it. 20K may be fair, six figures is ridiculous

Guest De Soto Frank
Hi,

I currently own a 1935 suburban in good condition and still runs. Since this year is so rare for this car, i am having a hard time putting a value on the car. Does anyone know or can direct me to someone who would know about how much this vehicle would be worth. I have talked to some collectors and they seem to think that it is priceless and that it is only worth what people are willing to pay.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

Suggest you bring this question to the web-forum of the Vintage Chevrolet Club or America (VCCA)...

Unless you had Donald Trump and Jay Leno in a bidding war over it, I doubt it would fetch much over $20,000; perhaps $30,000.

It is a "rare" vehicle, but it is also a truck with a fairly heavy body on it, powered by a very mild 75-80 HP six. Its performance is very modest.

Its desireability is probably rather limited.

It is NOT the luxury barge that "Suburbans" have come to mean in the present culture.

I believe Chevrolet already has one in their historical collection...

If you're trying to determine what your rock-bottom line should be, check auction listings from R&M, Meachum's, and ( God help me ) Barrett-Jackson...

If the vehicle is truly an unmolested original, showing all original wear & tear, with no repaints, re-upholstery, mechanical up-dates or "git-r-dones" to keep it going, then its value as an historic artifact increases.

If it has had cosmetic "freshenings" over the years, perhaps an engine swap, later wheels to avoid trying to find tires for those 17" wire-wheels, then the value decreases... the value decreases further if the wooden body framing is damaged by dry-rot or insects...

I would be surprised to see a flawlessly restored example top $50k.

Ultimately, it ( like any other object ) is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

If you need a firm valuation for insurance purposes, then you might be well-served to seek-out a professional antique auto or truck appraiser and get a documented number...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crafty2148

Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah one of the chevy museums (i thought it was in Detroit but i could be wrong about that) offered my grandfather (who bought this back in the 50's) around $20,000 for it back in the late 60's. He said they started at $10,000 and he refused, then they returned like 4 days later and offered $20,000. The only reason why he didn't take it is because any antique car he has owned (which he has owned 10 of them) he couldn't part with. Plus he didn't need the money and thought it would be a good investment to keep it. Those other guys i talked to basically said if you find the right collector that actually has money and loves rare items like the 1935 suburban (rare because that was the first year they were sold to the public and there are very few, last i was told was 4, that were original without and alterations in the world), then they will pay well over $100,000 if negotiated right. Obviously i may never find a collector like that and probably have to settle for $20,000 - $30,000 but i will keep my eyes open for that guy. I have also been advised to take it to the auction in Hershey PA if i am interested in great car collectors so i may look into that.

Once again, thanks for all the input guys, it helped alot.

Those other guys i talked to basically said if you find the right collector that actually has money and loves rare items....

....then they will pay well over $100,000 if negotiated right. Obviously i may never find a collector like that

I have also been waiting to meet that collector........:) Todd C