Removing lock cylinders from glove box, pass through latches, etc. (with pictures!)

NCReatta

I'm sure I read this somewhere before, but I cannot seem to find it. So, I will make my own.

Ronnie, Feel free to add this to your website! :)

Here we go.

If you've ever broken a latch somewhere on your Reatta, and been able to find a replacement but said replacement had the wrong lock, here's how to get it out.

First, you must have the correct key for the lock.

Second, you must put the latch assembly in the closed position (see pictures)

IMG_7537.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

Then, push the silver tumbler (see picture) in.

IMG_7542.JPG

Next, insert the key into the lock. The picture below illustrates the silver tumbler when it is pressed in, and the key is inserted therefore making it flush with the rest of the cylinder.

IMG_7544.JPG

Finally, rotate the lock cylinder clockwise to the 10 o'clock position, and pull out.

IMG_7545.JPG

To install a new lock cylinder, simply do the inverse of these steps.

Hope others find this helpful! :)

• 5 months later...
Guest ssantoro

Today the locking/latching mechanism for the pass-through to the trunk broke and when I stopped it banged open. How exactly does this lock work? I see no latch at the top (like the others). I presume I have to get a new locking mechanism and have it rekeyed to fit mine.

Today the locking/latching mechanism for the pass-through to the trunk broke and when I stopped it banged open. How exactly does this lock work? I see no latch at the top (like the others). I presume I have to get a new locking mechanism and have it rekeyed to fit mine.

It's pretty much the same procedure to remove/replace the cylinder. Just no need to move the latch. What color do you need?

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

The pass thry latch looks the same as the others from the "pretty" side but it is more of a lock than a latch. You must shut the door and turn the key, that cams catches on both sides that keep the door from coming open. It will not stay shut when unlocked.

One thing to add if I may. If you do not have the key to the lock, place the assembly in a vice and start with a drill bit just a bit bigger than the opening and drill to the depth of the key. Walk up bit size until the key ways are gone at this point the drill will start to jam, push on release at back and pull up. This takes a little fineness put not hard to do. I have done this numerous times.

Guest ssantoro

Thanks, everybody. I do have the key. I had noticed turning the lock was getting stiff (I rarely opened the pass through) but didn't think much of it. Now it doesn't turn at all. Do you think I need a new lock or is it possible that the lock can be fixed? I think I understand that the cylinder can be changed if I get a replacement so that I can reinstall my old cylinder. Is that correct? The cams are not sliding. Is the pass-through assembly including these cams? I'm kind of hoping it's not necessary to replace these, only the locking mechanism itself.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Have you removed the latch from the door and tried lubricating all moving parts in the latch and in the door with spray silicon lubricant?

Then you figure out if problem is with the mechanism in the door or with the latch.

Whenever I sell a latch I also include the directions on how to change the lock cylinder.

I big problem is if a person buys a latch that has not had the cylinder removed as it is extremely hard to get the cylinder out without the key.

This is the same as mentioned in the posts above but here is what I email to folks who have bought a latch from me.

Subject: RMV lock cylinder

Do not attempt to operate the handle on the new latch with the lock

cylinder not installed. In this condition the latch is in the lock mode and

needs to have the cylinder installed to be operational

To remove the lock cylinder

1 Turn the latch mechanism by hand as if you were closing the glove box door.

2 Turn the key to lock ( clockwise ) and remove the key.

3 Hold the unit on it's side and insert a small screw driver or pick in

the small square hole on the side of the assembly and depress

the spring loaded tab.

4 Reinsert the key and turn a little further than you did when you were

locking it, and the cylinder assy. with the key will come out of

the latch assembly.

Do not remove the key from the cylinder but put the unit directly into the

new latch. If you do remove the key you will have to depress the small tab

before putting the key back in.

Guest ssantoro

I will open it up and try lubricating it. I suspect it is broken, because the key turns freely but nothing is going on inside.

Guest Mc_Reatta

That does sound like the actuator rod on the latch that the key operates is broken, more than a problem in the door.

I use an old lock pickers trick to remove the cylinder from a latch when I don't have the proper key.

Use your latch key or any other key that will insert into the lock cylinder but won't turn. (Correct key blank but wrong cut)

Insert the key all the way into the cylinder. While applying some pressure counterclockwise on the key in the unlock direction, rapidly move the key in and out of the cylinder about half of its length that is inside the lock. This will exercise the tumblers up and down and after a short while they will all catch on the side of the hole and the key will turn. Then just proceed with the instructions for removing the cylinder from the latch.

I have yet to find a cylinder I couldn't remove this way in just a minute or two. Much easier than drilling,

If you're caught or captured I will disavow any knowledge of telling you how to do this. :cool:

Scott,

I took a door apart and see inside there are two arms that go over to the latches on the ends. The latches pivot on a stud and there is a return spring there also.

Looking at this mechanism it is possible if you remove about 10 Phillips screws that hold the front panel on and remove the latch you might be able to lubricate the pivot points.

I am also sending you a reply to your email from last evening.

Jim