1965 Rambler Ambassador 990 Convertible!

Guest Rami

c496-rightside-remote.jpg

I ike very much here looks, but Ramblers never have been very popular here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:country-region w:st=</st1:country-region><ST1:pSwitzerland</ST1:place where i life. Therefore spareparts might be a problem

-are spare parts available in <ST1:p<st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></ST1:p?

-was the continental-kit an option for this car?

<O:p-are there other things that might be interesting for a greenhorn on these Rambler’s

(I do own other American cars though: 1929 Ford A Phaeton, 1948 Jeepster, 1952, 1954 Willys Wagon)

Thanks for your support

regards from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pSwitzerland</st1:country-region>

Edited by Rami (see edit history)

The car you show has been slightly modified. The rear tire continental kit is likely an aftermarket accessory. The fender skirts are called cruiser skirts and they are also an aftermarket accessory. The wheels were not painted red. The red top, I cannot say for certain, but I believe they did not make a red top.

I thought that in their day, Ramblers were one of the more popular American cars in Europe. They are smaller than most American cars, and were known to be very dependable and economical on fuel.

They were also known to have a very smooth quiet comfortable ride and for having the best heating and ventilating system in the industry.

In America they were thought of as a boring car, bought by older motorists looking for the best value, economy, comfort and long service at low cost. They were not thought of as a car for swingers and young folks.

The Ambassador was AMCs largest, most luxurious model. Your convertible is likely the most expensive car they made.

Common repair parts are generally available through normal channels.There is a loyal AMC car club. They can help you with the hard to find parts.

The Ambassador will be harder to find parts for than the common Chevrolet and Ford models but not impossible.

@Amphicar BUYER

@Rusty _OToole

Thank you very much for your answers which helped me very much.

regards from Switzerland

Ruedi Mueller

Guest De Soto Frank

Restorer,

Since I have only Rambler, does that mean I'm only "slightly boring" ? :D

Ruedi,

That's a gorgeous example; Ambassador convertibles are not often seen here in the US anymore....

All mechanical parts are readily available, and there is a surprising amount of New Old Stock parts out there from old dealer stock...

Normally I'm not a fan of fender skirts and continental kits, but they don't look bad on this car...

Regards,

Frank

:cool:

@Restorer32

@De Soto Frank

You two made me :D

Thank you very much for your answers as well

regards from Switzerland

Ruedi Mueller

That type of fender skirt was originally used on the '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser; thus they were known as cruiser skirts. They soon became popular for a while on '57 Fords, '56 Fords and Mercurys and a few other cars. It also seems I have seen them on '60 Pontiacs but never before on a Rambler. I remember getting slightly interested in buying a new Rambler Classic convertible in 1966. The fact that the dealer did not stock one probably saved me.

I am beginning to wonder about the continental kit and fender skirts. The way the skirts match the line of the fender and blend into the continental make me think they were made specially for that car. I doubt AMC made the skirts, or the continental kit. So either some aftermarket company tooled up for them which is unlikely, or someone had them made for the car, or someone was very lucky in buying universal parts and having them fit perfectly.

It would be interesting to know where the accessories came from.

Incidentally the Ambassador should be easier to get parts for than your Jeepster or Willys wagon.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I have a set of those skirts and they look the same except mine and most others I've seen have a chrome strip on the top edge which goes all the way around to the front. As was stated above they started on the turnpike cruisers then all Fords and Mercs in the mid 50s. If you liked them you could hang them on practically any car, They reproduce them in fiberglass that might explain the lack of chrome.

post-66242-143138608799_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143138608805_thumb.jpg

@Rusty_OToole

@Dave Mellor NJ

I'm new with this continental kit and fender skirts, but have learnt a lot from you. Tank you all.

Here pictures of the car and videos from yesterday Saturday:

https://picasaweb.google.com/ruedimuel/1965Rambler?authkey=Gv1sRgCMLgkMrM77DUzQE#

and

‪Rambler Motor starten‬‏ - YouTube

and

‪Rambler Cabriodach‬‏ - YouTube

regards from Switzerland

Ruedi Mueller

• 2 years later...
Guest WillieMac

Hello sorry I am new at this I have a 65 rambler ambassador 990 I got in alittle accident and need parts for the front and left fender of the car how could I go about that??? thank you so much

Guest Skyking

Willie, I hope you'll find your parts. Somehow I missed this post in 2011, thanks for bringing it back. These Ramblers are so underrated. What a pretty car.

There was a rust free Arizona one on EBay 2 years ago that I wish I bought. I still have the photos on one of my hard drives.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

Many wrecking yards are now linked by computer so finding one that can do a search is probably your best bet for a used fender. Other than that you could try advertising on ebay for a NOS, but that's a shot in the dark and most of the replies you get in the first hour will be people trying to scam you.

Guest WillieMac

Thank you for your feed back. I currently have a rambler that was in an accident about a year ago but it's got many parts I can provide pictures if interested. I'm interested in selling the whole car I can't find the parts that I need.

Very sharp looking car! I have heard that if this car is powered by an inline six cylinder engine, a replacement from a late model 4.0L Jeep will bolt right in, as these engines all came down the same assembly line in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Guest CarLova
actually my younger brother crashed the front so 'm looking for someone who needs parts

Are you kidding me?

The car pictured dates back to Rami's post in 2011. WillieMac's damaged car is a recent post, so there seems to be some confusion here about what got wrecked... 2 different cars. Willie, you will get more response selling your car in the buy/sell part of the forum. Make sure you read the rules on price, condition, location and post pics of the car in it's current condition. Parts for that car shouldn't be impossible to find if there is no serious frame/unibody damage.

• 3 months later...
By the way your Jeepster and Willys are related to the Ambassador by marriage. American Motors bought Jeep in 197O.

You're so right Rusty. But, it doesn't stop there.

jeeps are related to most every make.

Bantam's design.

During the war manufactured by Ford and Willys.

Then by Kaiser.

Some of the 1970 AMC Jeeps had Buick engines.

Later Jeep was sold to Chrysler.

Chrysler lately owned by Daimler,

and now owned by Fiat.