Using a 6V Horn on a 12V car?

MikeC5

In order to use a 6V Horn on a 12V car you need a good heavy duty ceramic resistor (either 1.0 ohm or 1.5 ohm -you'll have to calculate which one based on the current draw of your horn). This fellow on eBay sells them.

1 Ohm Voltage Reducer H/D Ceramic Resistor 12-6 Volt a | eBay

The cheaper way (not necessarily the best way) would be to try using an ignition ballast resistor from your junk pile (or perhaps two ballast resistors in series that add up to your target Ohm rating). Test it out first to see if it can handle it. As you reduce 12v to 6v, all the extra current will dissipate as heat, so make sure you mount these things safely. (think Heat sink mounting).

The Harbour Frieght plastic horn is probably worth the money. The 100 db is not that loud as far as horns go. I had one on my 36 for a couple of years before it failed. I think I had it mounted to close to the road and it got wet a couple of times and that killed it.

If you can find a place to hide it (you dont want anybody to know you are running the POS)and it will stay dry you will most likely get your $14.95 of fun out of it.

Did the DBs have ahoogas?

I can't see a problem as I have been putting 12V through a 6V starter for years with no bad consequences. There is a el cheapo plastic oogaa horn available for about $12 made in Taiwan and probably at Mac's or Lang's model T stores. Looks OK after painting it black,as the original has a red trumpet. Sounds OK on my T model,(12v horn on 6v system) looks cheap but got her licensed OK. I used it to license her as my klaxton is an intermittant oogaaah job and I didn't want the gamble of it not working at the time. Only an el cheapo suggestion though.