FS 1933 Packard 1001

Guest Z71Hobbs

Guest Z71Hobbs

Partially restored 1933 Packard 1001

Chassis restored to original state.

Engine rebuilt correctly by a gentlemen who has restored several pre-war and post war packards. Engine runs great.

New wiring harness.

Gas tank relined.

New radiator core.

Have a replacement carburetor bowl. EE-22 (good luck finding another one!)

Wood rot has been replaced.

Nearly all parts are accounted for, including the "impossible to find" correct 1933 taillights. The couple of missing pieces can be easily fabricated.

NUMEROUS EXTRA PARTS.

If you do not see a part on the car, I have it in a box or sitting on the shelf waiting to go on the car (i.e. correct starter solenoid, bijur jar, air filter.)

I have all of the sheet metal not shown on the car, including 2 sets of running boards. Bumpers are accounted for as well.

Serious inquiries only.

post-58840-143138575381_thumb.jpg

post-58840-14313857539_thumb.jpg

post-58840-14313857541_thumb.jpg

Edited by Z71Hobbs (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Well, interesting car, but there are two turn-offs right off the bat with your ad. No price, and "serious inquiries only", so even if someone is interested they figure you're asking some outrageous price.

If you post a price, and it's fair (considering that it's a car in pieces, albeit desirable, it's not going to bring the big bucks), you may get some action.

Good luck with sale...

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

I agree with your comments on "serious inquires only". Selling a car is work and you may need to put up with some tire kickers. Also, the hardest car in the world to sell is an unfinished restoration. It may be worth less than before the restoration started.

I think posting a price will help sell it too.

I agree with the above. The ad reads like" if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it". What the lister doesn't realize is that he can learn a lot that he doesn't seem to know about selling an old car by putting up with a few tire kickers. Many contacts can be a chance to learn something.

A desirable basket case is still looking for a special person, and if the price is out of line most buyers will opt for a running, intact car. There are nice Packards out there right now looking for buyers. Turn the key and go cars, some on this site.

It is likely this seller bought high during good times and has too much invested for the current market and is determined to recoup.

I would say, if this is the case he should get the car into a much more finished condition. As pictured even moving it is a formidable task, certainly nothing a transporter wants to do, which almost means he is looking for a local buyer. Jim43

Guest Z71Hobbs

I appreciate that some people have taken the time to look at this car.

The quote that was made "It is likely this seller bought high during good times and has too much invested for the current market and is determined to recoup." is very much incorrect.

The car was purchased in 1975 and much of the last several years have been spent finding some of the various parts and enjoying life as we all know happens. As posted previously, a lot of work has been done to the car, and done correctly.

The asking price is 12,500. I am not trying to recoup my investments in the project. The cost is not based on the mythical "its a packard and must be expensive" or "if you have to ask you cannot afford it" thought process. The price is based on research and the costs associated major engine and chassis work that has been done.

But am hoping to find a buyer who truly does enjoy the early 30s packards.

I am selling a complete car. Many of the show cars out there are missing parts that this car has. I have lost count of how many high cost restorations i have seen that have incorrect tailights, headlights, missing chassis components, and various engine modifications.

I'm not here to make a profit and do realize that I will take a loss on the sale of the car. The price shown above already has a significant loss attached to it. Some recent life changes have forced the car to come up for sale.

Edited by Z71Hobbs (see edit history)

No insult was intended in my comments, and there is nothing wrong with trying to recoup ones investment at all. None of us want to take a bath on our cars. But when no price is given and the "serious only" is part of the ad you set yourself up for speculation about what is going on and turn a lot of us off. Me anyway. Your price does sound reasonable for the right person and now that the vital information is out there I think you have a much better chance of a sale. If possible I would set the body on the chassis, it would make moving it much more inviting and easy. I wish you were closer to New England myself. Good luck,,...Jim43

Guest Z71Hobbs

Here is the car after the chassis was restored and on a cruise in the neighborhood. The only difference between when the photos was taken and now is that the grille is off and the radiator has been re-cored. The last photo in the series previously posted showed the car back together.

post-58840-143138878182_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

My Grandfather specialized on these car back from the 20's on. He had his own garage for decades. Someday I'd like to own a Packard, and I agree, the price sounds good to the right person. Good luck with the sale.

Was also able to help broker some parts for Hobbs, he was seriously into restoring his Packard correctly.

Pity that you can't finish the job you started Hobbs I would have loved to have seen it completed in your hands. Good luck with the sale.

• 3 weeks later...