A real bug screen!

Guest Paul R.

About 10 years ago I bought one of those for the 1960 Buick I then had. Someone on eBay had dozens of them up for auction, but only one for each kind of car they had (specific to model/make/year). I used it to drive to the 2003 Buick National, but stupidly never took a photo of it on the car. doh2.gif

Guest Siegfried

The bug screen shown was what I used as an idea for mt '71 Bug in '71. Not for bugs, but for stopping pebbles, cinders, etc from chipping up the paint. It worked, but was not pretty. I used plexiglass. When vinyl masks (aka: car bra's arrived) I switched. Much nicer looking, but the name stinks.

Years ago when I bought my 1941 Dodge, that was off the road for ten years, stashed in the trunk was a bug screen so full of dried bugs that it did not look like a screen. The elastic cords to fasten it were there but worthless.

I think these accessories detracted from the cars looks. Some people in the mid west would put window screen between the grill and the radiator. To clean them just remove and shake.

I bought a 46 Chevy sedan for parts and when I opened the hood there was a screen between teh radiator and the front sheetmetal panels. It fit so good it looked factory. Fit the opening about like a glove. I still don't know if it was homemade fro ma window screen or if someone sold them. If it was homemade they did a nice job. They could have marketed them.

I bought a 46 Chevy sedan for parts and when I opened the hood there was a screen between teh radiator and the front sheetmetal panels. It fit so good it looked factory. Fit the opening about like a glove. I still don't know if it was homemade fro ma window screen or if someone sold them. If it was homemade they did a nice job. They could have marketed them.

These were called radiator insect screens and were a factory option for many makes. I have been looking for one for over 10 years for my 55 Pontiac as they are shown as an accessory. Unfortunately they weren’t too durable.

The factory front bug screen for the 55 is a 3 piece unit that wraps around the bumper ends and is huge.

Guest Foggy norm

Yeah, I too remember those. Must have been pretty young not to notice the Dagmar's sticking through?