Positive ID 20's Dodge 2 Door

Guest dokatd

Guest dokatd

Hi,

I am attempting to acquire this Dodge. There is some debate as to its exact model designation and possibly year of production. The current owner is claiming it may be one of only a few still in existence. Can anyone positively ID this car for me and potential values based on it being a driver.

He claims its a 1928 Dodge 128 "Fast Four"

I was thinking more along the lines of a 1926 2 door roadster.

I have searched far and wide but cannot find good pics of a soft top 1928 128. But the car sure does match the '26 roadster.

Any help would be great.

K.C. Carpenter

post-76009-14313855405_thumb.jpg

post-76009-143138554058_thumb.jpg

post-76009-143138554065_thumb.jpg

post-76009-143138554073_thumb.jpg

This looks remarkably like a 129 series, given the four wheel brakes. It would have been built between october 11 1927 and July 27 1928. Serial numbers are between A-1,000,000 and A- 1.019,644. Number is on the RHS of chassis near rear front sping bracket.

Guest dokatd

Thanks for the info so far guys. I am headed over to get any numbers I can find and will report back.

Im not looking for an original car by any means, just a fun vintage cruiser to compliment my vintage offroad trucks and motorcycle. So if its a hodge podge of parts, thats ok with me.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I am headed over to get any numbers I can find and will report back.

Im not looking for an original car by any means, just a fun vintage cruiser to compliment my vintage offroad trucks and motorcycle. So if its a hodge podge of parts, thats ok with me.

While you are there, can you verify that there is actually a "raised" belt line molding or simply flat and painted black with a pinstripe?

Guest dokatd

It's flat with pinstriping.

The insurance card says it a 1928 roadster with a vin number of D1003763

I could not find any numbers on the frame by the right rear spring shackle.

THAT'S what was confusing to me. Now that I know it's flat it definitely looks like a 1927 Series 126.

Here are some photos of mine, this is a 1926, probably a 90 point restoration. The car is extremely rare but it is just a Dodge. I sold this car for $12,000.00. Wire wheels are very desirable add at least $1,000.00. The top will cost you at least $1,000.00. I would pay $6,500.00- 7,500.00 for the car you are looking at if it is driveable.

post-31312-143138554501_thumb.jpg

post-31312-143138554518_thumb.jpg

post-31312-143138554534_thumb.jpg

post-31312-14313855455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob Scafani (see edit history)

Guest dokatd

So is there any chance it is a 128? I could not find a 128 that looks like this one. I am fairly certain he was misinformed and that is is really a 126.

Does anyone have a pic of where the serial/vin# should be so I can narrow this down. I would rather not go all over the frame sanding it down to find numbers that may not be where I thought they would be.

Basically I just need some sort of verification that its not the specific car he thinks it is so that we can get the price down to where it should be..

Bob, I agree with you on the est. price of the car, but I'd love to know where you could get a top for $1000. I'd say at minimum double that, then add another $600 plus for the missing top bows. Then add $400-500 more if you need side curtains made. Add another $150 for the rear window and frame. And that's conservative. If it was a Model A, you could be a bit closer at $1000. In the last year, the bows, the top side curtains and top boot on my DA Phaeton was over $7K.

Guest dokatd
Those fenders sure look like 1927 and not the flatter looking 1928 items to me.

I noticed that as well. Does the number I posted above define anything about the car assuming it's correct to the car.

Im used to old mercedes that have a VIN# that tells you every little detail about the vehicle.

Edited by dokatd (see edit history)

The VIN you posted D1003763 doesn't agree with any list I have, since the VIN in the years in question all start with an "A". If the "D" were an "A" then the car is likely a 1928 128/129. If you don't want to verify the actual # on the frame (which you should do), you could measure the wheelbase. The 1923-26 WB is listed as 116" as are the 1927 Models 126 and 124. The later 1928 models 128/129 the WB is listed as 108". Big difference.

Guest dokatd

I would love to get the frame number, but the frame has been painted or undercoated a few times. I am not certain of the true location of the number so any "Sanding" I would be doing would be blind and possibly not even close to where the numbers are. A better description of location might help.

So my understanding is that the chassis number is on the right hand side of the car, "near" the rear spring shackle

I think Tony above said that the VIN is on the right hand side of the frame near the REAR SHACKLE of the FRONT SPRING. You may be looking in the wrong place. You still may have to get a wire brush to remove paint and dirt to see it.

Guest dokatd

To clarify, I was looking at the front right leaf springs rear shackle as seen from the right front wheel well. It is clean paint no dirt. It seems to have been painted or undercoated a few times. I saw what looked like the impression of a zero and was about half inch tall. This was just forward of the shackle. I rubbed it by hand and it sorta disappeared so I didn't take time to sand it.

Would the serial number be 1/2" tall. Again, does anybody have a pic of what it should look like.

Guest dokatd

Well, as expected, the owner was not receptive to the car being anything other than what he claims it is. Even with a very detailed explanation of why it is what it is, and why he might have thought it was something else.

Now that he is insulted, the car is no longer for sale!!

Bummer!!!!

Well, as expected, the owner was not receptive to the car being anything other than what he claims it is. Even with a very detailed explanation of why it is what it is, and why he might have thought it was something else.

Now that he is insulted, the car is no longer for sale!!

Bummer!!!!

A lot of guys are VERY touchy about what they think their car is, or is worth and get insulted by people trying to convince them otherwise. Sometimes, if you are really diplomatic about it and gradually let them in on the information you have discovered, they will be receptive. Hopefully, some rube does not come along and be convinced that it is a certain car by what that guy says it is.

That guy may come around to selling that car to you if you work your way back into his good graces.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Too bad. It is indeed a 1927 124 Sport Roadster. Many people get these confused with the 1928 128/129 as they used the same engine (but almost nothing else). Then the local DMV insists on using the engine number (ala Model T, Model A Ford) instead of the correct frame number. That number is 50,000 to 75,000 higher than the frame, which quite often puts it into the next year. Or possibly the car didn't get sold until 1928 and they titled it then. Who knows? If I am not mistaken, DB never made any 128/129 Roadsters. Only Cabriolets.

Guest AYP241
Ahah, hows A928822

Hi,

I see that you finally found the car number on the Dodge you were looking at and wondered if you or anyone knowledgable can help me.

I am trying to find the "car number" on a 1926 Dodge Business Sedan that I recently purchased. Is the number etched on the frame or on an attached plate? I finally found where the plate on the toe board was but it has been removed and so far have been unable to find it on the frame. From the included title the number should be "A747281" but I need a pencil trace of the actual "car number" to transfer it to my name in Pennsylvania.

Hi,

I see that you finally found the car number on the Dodge you were looking at and wondered if you or anyone knowledgable can help me.

I am trying to find the "car number" on a 1926 Dodge Business Sedan that I recently purchased. Is the number etched on the frame or on an attached plate? I finally found where the plate on the toe board was but it has been removed and so far have been unable to find it on the frame. From the included title the number should be "A747281" but I need a pencil trace of the actual "car number" to transfer it to my name in Pennsylvania.

Hi, I also struggled with finding the number. It is right where my mechanic's manual and everyone hereon the forum said it would be( above the rear spring shackle of the right front spring). I looked at the frame a number of times and couldn't see it. I finally went at the frame with a wire brush and saw a few faint lines. Then I used sand paper and a wet rag to wipe out the rust. The numbers are very thin lines, not very deep, and only about 3/8" tall. The rust on my frame didn't look heavy enough to be obscuring the number, but it sure was.

Good Luck.

Guest 1930

So when did they switch from the crossmember to the R rail near spring? I thought 26 would be on the crossmember

My Mechanic's Instruction Manual for 1914-1927 Dodge Brothers Motor Cars and Graham Brothers Trucks says the car number is "Stamped on the small plate on the upper toe board; also stamped on the right side of frame back of the front spring rear bracket." The description is a little funny and it took me a little work to both be sure that was the spot and to find it under the rust, but it is there.

Jari12

Jason, the switch was sometime in 1923. I have found it in both places in 23, in fact my 23 roadster has it in BOTH locations! Most have it in one place or the other. 24 and later (4 cyl) cars have it on the frame rail only, at the rear spring hanger of the right front spring. Have found them on top and the side of the frame at the same time too.