The introduction, the car, and the problem

Guest 280se-serial#1

Guest 280se-serial#1

Hi everyone.

I hail from a little place called Los Altos, CA nestled nicely against the base of the Bay Area penninsula. Its a nice town with one of the worst money cliques on the planet. I am an assistant to one of those clique families. But to clear the air they are one of the most generous in this town. They treat me like family. And like any freeloading 20 year old male (me) I am to watch over the vehicles. The only, relevant to the forum, to mention are the daughter's 1966 Mustang convertible, and the husband's 1971 Mercedes Benz 280se Convertible 3.5 serial number 1. This man loves this car. So much so that in his will it states that he is to be buried with his Mercedes. :P Now be forewarned, it does not seem that way because their cat lives in the garage and decided to make a scratching post of most of the interior. But the wife, my boss, instructed me to find a restorer for this cream puff. Now I consider myself a car buff, but my knowledge pretty much stays within the confines of hot rods and muscle cars, and a few classics here and there. (My father and I rebuilt our 1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8 from the ground up, it was his first car :D) So I would only be able to direct her to a few auto body shops that have repainted a few vette's and a handful of gto's which do very good work BUT are not going to be allowed to work on the Mercedes. I tried to contact the Pebble Beach Concours as well as the Palo Alto Concours to point me in the right direction and I promptly given the "PFF get out of here kid".... :( But i come to you with my hopes that someone can point me in the right direction in order to get this caramel filled truffle off to get restored!

Looking for a restorer within California with a good reputation :D

THANKS!!!!

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

Edited by 280se-serial#1 (see edit history)

Guest Old48Truck

I'm not so sure your employer would appreciate your posting a picture of his license plate on the Internet...

The one person I know with an older Mercedes is not into car clubs and I'm not sure where she gets her work done and I know that she could use some interior work but has not had it done, so I doubt that she would have a recommendation. The other people I know in the area don't have Mercedes. If you needed recommendations for Model A or Model T Fords or general 1930s American built cars, I might be able to dig up some local recommendations.

I'm guessing that a make specific collectors club chapter in the area will be your best bet for finding local shops suitable for the work needed. Typing "mercedes club san francisco" in to Google turns up some links that might be of interest to you.

Contrary to belief nobody, except for authorized LEOs (the cops) can run a plate number or a VIN, at least in CA. We all display our numbers, every time we leave the garage, to the prying eyes of the public at large.

The point was that the plate does not belong to the person that posted the photo. It belongs to his employer who might take a dim view of it being publicly posted and fire him for it. We were just looking out for him and he seems to appreciate that.

Guest Old48Truck

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There's a lot to be gleaned from the pictures and the posting, plus I think there is probably a lot more access to Motor Vehicle records than just the police. (I can't speak for California, but here in NY, there is.)

Correct, we display our plates every time we leave the house with our cars, and maybe there's too much paranoia out there, but I wouldn't want someone who works for me posting my possessions and the interior of my garage on the Internet. Just sayin'...

Guest 38cadillacjack

look up armands,in the bay somewhere.i used to have a shop in modesto.we did a lot of those cars,even under warranty.armands always had a good reputation amongst our suppliers

look up armands,in the bay somewhere.i used to have a shop in modesto.we did a lot of those cars,even under warranty.armands always had a good reputation amongst our suppliers

Just one reply with useful information as requested :confused:

Thanks for your assistance :)

Jim

Guest Chubb Car Guy Jim

Contact any of the members of the Gull Wing Group: Gull Wing Group

While I'm not a member, my company has some business transactions with them, and I've found them to be a terrific resource for all things Mercedes. There are a handful in the Bay Area that I'm sure would be willing to help.

Guest ken bogren

You might try asking around the Mercedes Benz Club, or maybe contact the folks at the Kemp Museum in Missouri (They have a great MB collection) and see if you can get a referral from one of those sources. The NTX Museum in Dallas also has a nice MB collection, so you might ask the for a referral as well.

Mercedes-Benz Club of America |

Kemp Auto Museum: Welcome

NTX Automotive Museum - Antique, Classic, Collector, Muscle, Race

Guest ken bogren
I'm not so sure your employer would appreciate your posting a picture of his license plate on the Internet...

Photos and license plates of other peoples cars aren't the only thing one might want to think about when posting in a public forum.

Words matter too.

It's a PUBLIC forum, meaning anyone AND THEIR FRIENDS might happen by and read the thread.

Edited by ken bogren (see edit history)