A TRUE AMERICAN HERO - WILD BILL

Mr Riviera

A number of years ago while attending an ROA Meet in Florida I met Wild Bill . I was parked in my mini motor home enjoying a Cold Beer when I observed someone on crutches heading my way (one leg ) . It was Very Hot so I called him over and offered him a Cold One . We had a nice chat about the Rivs and he left . I found out later that he was Wild Bill Guenere and a Member of The Band of Brothers! I have seen him at ROA Meets after that and the last time I checked he is doing well .

I am sure Gene Guenere of AB&G Riviera Parts is VERY PROUD of his Father !

Check out

Thanks for posting that Dick. I too have seen Bill at many meets over the years but never talked to him for any length of time other than to say hi and now I'm wishing I would have.

Indeed he is a true American Hero in my book.

They just don't come any finer - we had the pleasure of meeting Gene's dad at an ROA meet in Denver quite a few years back. Shortly after watching the Band of Brothers series, we both realized we had met a true living legend.

It was an honour to share some time with Bill, and his family !!

Thank for the post, Dick. Mr. Guenere is a true American Hero. Humble, gracious, and full of life. A great representation of the Greatest Generation.

My mother's uncle was a tail gunner in a B-52 and was shot down twice. He's still around. We can't thank these heros enough.

Later,

Mike

• 2 years later...
A number of years ago while attending an ROA Meet in Florida I met Wild Bill . I was parked in my mini motor home enjoying a Cold Beer when I observed someone on crutches heading my way (one leg ) . It was Very Hot so I called him over and offered him a Cold One . We had a nice chat about the Rivs and he left . I found out later that he was Wild Bill Guenere and a Member of The Band of Brothers! I have seen him at ROA Meets after that and the last time I checked he is doing well .

I am sure Gene Guenere of AB&G Riviera Parts is VERY PROUD of his Father !

Check out

Dick, et al;

Sad news .... I just read that on Saturday, William "Wild Bill" Guenere has been transferred to the

Staff of the Supreme Commander. Here's a link to the article in the Philadelphia newspaper:

http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries/20140310_William_Guarnere__one_of_the__Band_of_Brothers_.html

Gene, sincere condolences to your family from your friends in Iowa.

Flag flying at half staff ......

Ed & Sherry

Thanks for the update Ed and Sherry. It seems all too common these days to see WW II vets passing away as many are in their 90s now. I'm afraid as time goes on it will erase from younger generations the huge sacrifices these heros and their families made. Fortunately for Wild Bill he made it home (unlike his brother) and lived to a ripe old age which is one way to look at it in a positve light.

My sympathy and prayers go out to Gene and the family.

I have the complete seven disc set of the Band of Brothers and try to watch it at least once a year. I can't get my daughters interested in it but my grandson knows very well what sacrifices were made by this "greatest generation."

When I was teaching American History to middle school students, there was little interest in WW II, more interest in the Viet Nam war, in which their grandparents fought. It's truly a shame that more emphasis isn't placed on these men and women and what they did for the U.S. and the rest of the free world. But if it's not part of the state assessment, it's not taught any longer.

I was just looking at the WW II National Museum's website and it says that WW II veterans are dying at the rate of 550 per day. Sixteen million veterans returned from WW II and there's barely one million still alive today. No generation since will ever take their place.

My condolences to Gene and his family. May God be with you in your time of loss.

Ed

Condolences to Gene and family. Your father was a distinguished example of what true patriotism and service to country is all about. Military heroes from many wars and conflicts walk among many of us almost everyday and we rarely know, or acknowledge them. From my experiences, they prefer it that way. If asked most will say they were just doing their job, nothing more. It is unfortunate most never get the honor, or even the thanks, they earned and deserve.

My sympathy and prayers go out to Gene and the family.

I lost an uncle (my mother's only brother) at the Battle of the Bulge. He was assigned to Patton's 3rd Army. My dad was a Pearl Harbor survivor having served on the battleship Oklahoma on Dec 7th.

To those that think no one remembers...that isn't true. Maybe they are dwindling, but those heroes still inspire people. I grew up on WW2 stories from my grandfather and great uncle and share them whenever i get the chance. My grandfather's brother inspired me to join the Marines and i hope my passing on the stories to others did the same. As long as people keep telling the stories none of these people will be forgotten, even if no one remembers specific names. They were still part of something bigger than any of us will likely have a chance to be involved in. I can only hope these guys know that some of us draw daily inspiration from their stories and use them as a signpost on how to live our lives.

I want to thank all the ROA members who have sent their comforting words. Many of our members have met my dad at the ROA meets. He enjoyed the shows very much. He had a couple of 64's at one time. I thank everyone again. Gene