1926 Chrysler carb problems

impacsys

I replaced the original carb with a new Zenith with an acc pump. For some reason it is very difficult to cold start. I have to spray lots of starter fluid. I suspect the motor does not create enough vacuum to properly operate the carb. Can someone recommend a good carb and/or suggest a fix for my current carb? Thx!

Edited by impacsys
spelling corrections (see edit history)

ALL vehicles with updraft carburetors, if in proper tune, should be started cold with choke. Once the engine has warmed to normal operating temperature, choke often is not needed.

There may be a Zenith updraft somewhere with an accelerator pump that is mechanical, but if so, I have yet to see it. Zenith used vacuum accelerator pumps. The pump functions ONLY after the engine is started. Once started, engine vacuum pulls the vacuum piston into the vacuum well, charging the pump spring. When the engine is accelerated, vacuum goes to zero (or very close), and the charged spring drives the pump plunger through the pump well, activating the pump squirt.

Attempting to use the pump in starting the engine succeeds only in exercising the ankle of the operator.

Assuming the Zenith was properly sized for the engine, it should work well, assuming the engine has no other issues. One size may be made to fit all, but that doesn't mean one size will work on all.

Jon.