1955 Special rear brake question

Don McClair

Has anyone ever installed early 70's through mid 80's rear brakes on a 1955 Special? I realize to get the wider drums and more easily obtainable shoes that you would have to change the drums and rear backing plates. Can anyone think of anything else that might be an issue?

Thanks in advance,

Not 100% sure but I'm thinking it's only the Roadmaster that has the wider front drums. I just pulled a set (backing plates and drums) off a Roadmaster that I plan to put on my BlueBird daily driver this spring. I can probably scare up another set if you're interested. You're in Atlanta eh? Did you just happen to rob a little 55 Special in a junkyard in Commerce? ;):)

Has anyone ever installed early 70's through mid 80's rear brakes on a 1955 Special? I realize to get the wider drums and more easily obtainable shoes that you would have to change the drums and rear backing plates. Can anyone think of anything else that might be an issue?

Thanks in advance,

How about the distance from the backing plate to the hub for the wheel? Seems from 55 to 70 there could be a significant difference in this particular area. Also parking brake hook up may be different.

Thanks for responding guys. Mr. Earl, I was not the one in Commerce but those parts did go for this same 55 Special. This car belongs to a new member of our Chapter and is just a nice driver. The problem started with the left rear axle seal going south and the left rear shoes are soaked. Working on this car on a tight budget I thought that maybe the backing plates and drums could be changed so a less expensive set of shoes could be installed. As Mr. Earl knows there are some salvage yards around here called Pull-A-Part and everything there is VERY inexpensive. But, if you guys know to get a deal on the rear shoes, let me know.

Thanks again,

RockAuto Auto Parts

I guarantee they are cheaper than buying backing plates, drums, etc. Besides, anything from the 70's is over 30 years old, not exactly "recent".

FYI: series 40 used 12x2.25 front and 12x1.75 rear

series 50 and 60 used 12x2.25 front and rear

series 70 used 12x2.5 front and 12x2.25 rear

Rockauto while very good source has an error and does not list the correct shoes for the series 40.

There are some 12x1.75 shoes on ebay. The best and easiest would be to take the old shoes to a local brake/clutch rebuilder and have new linings installed. Ask for linings with the best stopping efficiency and not necessarily the longest life.

Willie

A very big part of keeping brakes working their best is regular adjustment. I just do it at every oil change at two thousand miles,

Follow the service book to the letter, and it will make the old brakes much more livable.

As said before, upgrades to the larger plates, shoes and drums is an easy adaption, though you need the Roadmaster for the big front ones.

Bob, if you were layin in an alley and got ran over by a 54 and a 55 Buick, if you didn't pay close attention to how the front and rear bumpers mounted to the frame, you'd be at a loss to know which ran over you first, a 54 or 55.:o

all that to say that the 55 still had the cool looking, great functioning knee shocks. :D

Bob, if you were layin in an alley and got ran over by a 54 and a 55 Buick, if you didn't pay close attention to how the front and rear bumpers mounted to the frame, you'd be at a loss to know which ran over you first, a 54 or 55.:o

all that to say that the 55 still had the cool looking, great functioning knee shocks. :D

I'll remember that the next time that happens....good to know. :rolleyes:

It does beg the question, why would you see me (or Freud way say want to see me) under the rampage of two mid 50's Buick's in an alley somewhere:eek::confused: :D

So to clarify to the OP, any new "upgrade" in rear braking systems would have to include a mod for the shocks...but know that your Buick will no longer be recognized as a 55 Buick by people as you drive over them in some alley. ok.gif

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)