The Bugle features Dealerships...

Dandy Dave

Strongly agree! To me, a purpose-designed facility, as the vast majority of "fancier" car dealerships were, are architectural and historical treasures to be cherished and preserved. They are an integral part of our American transportation history, but not everybody understands that. As in the featured facilities in the article, it can be surprising just how much fine-work went into making those places unique and a treat for customers to visit--a very special feel about the places which the buildings which replaced them might not have carried on.

It always seemed amazing to me how they did what they did, on such a grand scale back then, with a typically smaller size than similar dealerships several decades later. And usually just ONE brand of product! In more modern times, a dealership that small generally could not survive, but they did back then. Makes me wonder "What's changed so radically?" between then and now.

I recall a picture in THE BUGLE of an inner-big-city dealership which had a parts counter that stretched "for miles", with a glass block face on it, right on the service drive. There could have been 10 parts person stations there! Such a deal! And all BUICK, too! And they probably had almost every mechanical part to repair their Buicks with, plus a shop full of technicians who knew everthing about BUICKS (in their area of specialization). Other similar downtown dealerships were probably similar in order to compete.

Those earlier buildings were built out of CONCRETE and STEEL. No wonder they generally stand the test of time. Having the multi-floor approach is neat, too.

Several years ago, I found a book which is on nothing but car dealerships of the 1950-1970s. LOTS of pictures, even some of the seasonal advertising on the windows! Not all any one brand of vehicle, but many, most in California (it seems). Back when it was somewhat popular for all dealerships to be in the more "business hot spots" of town, whether in the Downtown area or the suburbs. Usually along a main "thru" highway. Unfortunately, many of them are gone now . . . or house other businesses, but their distinctive architecture is still apparent to those that know what it is.

When most cities were "new", the main (and generally considered "The Best") stores and car dealers were right in the downtown mix of things. As population expanded into the suburbs with freeway connectors, manufacturers advocated their dealers follow the population trends, or recruited new dealers for these sales areas. End result, as things moved outward, the downtown areas fell from prominence and many retail businesses left (including car dealers and repair shops). Now that the focus is on revitalizing the central city areas with new apartment/condo/retail developments (as is happening in Fort Worth, TX), the few dealers (Jag, Porsche, BMW, VW, Land Rover) and repair shops who were a little on the outskirts of the downtown area are now being joined by a new Audi franchise. With the generally young and affluent clientel who are renting the new residences and working downtown, it all fits in quite well for them. American brands? They're 20+ minutes farther west on the outskirts of town. Now who's in the better place to grow their business?

Just some thoughts and observations . . .

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

When I was in high school in the 50s, I recall one of neighbors was workingas a parts manager for, I believe, a Dodge dealership. It must have been quite large, as I remember that he came up with the idea to have his people use roller skates to reduce the time it took to get the parts. No, they order and it comes from the warehouse in one or two days. In the 50s, if it was not in the shop, it took about 2 weeks for a part, as I recall.

Just Evolution.

John

Great collection of pictures, Rob! I've seen the print of the Jack's Garage picture in a bunch of pictures I found at a Fort Worth, TX antique mall. I figured that as all of the pictures in the group I found were from Fort Worth, I figured that that's where Jack's Garage was, too.

Thanks for the link!

NTX5467

Guest Dan Cook
I'm guessing that was a hail storm of BB's. Note the side windows are also broken.

And not even a dimple anywhere in the paint jobs.

All of those dealership photos brought to mind my remembering the old Buick garage in downtown Portland, Maine. The building is still there, might even have some Buick "signage" still visible. I remember riding by seeing early 50's Buicks in the windows. The ones I can see in my mind would have been '52 or '53 and I was just 2-3 years old. I know they couldn't have been 50's-as I would have been too young and they definitely weren't '54's. I just remember the big, toothy grilles. In the mid-50's, the dealership moved to a new building near the main drag that was automobile row through the 50's and 60's until the Interstate went through. Now all those dealerships are closed, moved away or have been merged into other dealerships. Pretty much every dealer in the city was within 2 miles of each other. Every February, there was a Washington's Birthday open house and I would get my father or uncle to take me around to look at the cars and collect sales brochures. It was one of the highlights of my young life!

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)