Driving in a Winter Wonderland

Dave@Moon

Guest Jim_Edwards

I think that clip made all the network news programs and most local as well. What I found amazing was at least two of the drivers involved appeared to be accelerating while heading out of control down the hill. Wonder who taught them how to drive?

Jim

I think that clip made all the network news programs and most local as well. What I found amazing was at least two of the drivers involved appeared to be accelerating while heading out of control down the hill. Wonder who taught them how to drive?

Jim

I never heard any explanations myself, but the Hyundai that winds up off to the right side of the road (screen left) early on in the video looked to me like someone who hit the brakes at the top of the hill, felt the ABS pulse, and panicked. There obviously was no attempt to stop on the way down.

I grew up on Pittsburgh streets like those, and am familiar with this very street in the Beechview neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Anybody that tells me that driving in the winter is no problem if you're careful, I tell them about an event I had as a teenager (as a passenger in the front seat of a Pinto) on a hill almost exactly like that. We were going up the hill, a cement truck was trying to come down. It always ends with the question: "Have you ever seen a cement truck sliding sideways down a steep hill at you??".:eek::eek::eek:

After we dug the car out of someone's lawn, we went home. It just wasn't fun to be out in a car any more, even for a teenager.:rolleyes:

Jim

As I was growing up in the Detroit area for 20 years I learned one thing on the icy roads.... if your car breaks loose when you hit the brakes, it goes faster due to the lack of friction.

Jim

As I was growing up in the Detroit area for 20 years I learned one thing on the icy roads.... if your car breaks loose when you hit the brakes, it goes faster due to the lack of friction. Chances are, the guy broke loose and did not really mean to go faster. Icy roads can make the most skilled driver look like he does not know how to drive.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I never heard any explanations myself, but the Hyundai that winds up off to the right side of the road (screen left) early on in the video looked to me like someone who hit the brakes at the top of the hill, felt the ABS pulse, and panicked. There obviously was no attempt to stop on the way down.

I grew up on Pittsburgh streets like those, and am familiar with this very street in the Beechview neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Anybody that tells me that driving in the winter is no problem if you're careful, I tell them about an event I had as a teenager (as a passenger in the front seat of a Pinto) on a hill almost exactly like that. We were going up the hill, a cement truck was trying to come down. It always ends with the question: "Have you ever seen a cement truck sliding sideways down a steep hill at you??".:eek::eek::eek:

After we dug the car out of someone's lawn, we went home. It just wasn't fun to be out in a car any more, even for a teenager.:rolleyes:

I think it is fair to conclude that anyone who believes they can completely control a car on Ice is not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer and it is a really good idea to stay out of a car being driven by anyone who is that over confident or who is maybe just flat a blockhead.

I have always figured that if the roads or streets have Ice on them the best thing to do is stay off of them. While I might be able to navigate successfully that doesn't mean everyone else can and I'd just as soon not fall victim to their bad judgment.

Jim

As I was growing up in the Detroit area for 20 years I learned one thing on the icy roads.... if your car breaks loose when you hit the brakes, it goes faster due to the lack of friction. Chances are, the guy broke loose and did not really mean to go faster. Icy roads can make the most skilled driver look like he does not know how to drive.

Yeah, I've heard this before and it STILL violates the laws of physics. :rolleyes:

Yes, if you are on a hill with little or no friction, gravity will cause the car to accelerate. If you are on a flat surface and the wheels lock, causing the car to start sliding, it CANNOT accelerate unless you have discovered a new source of energy. Yes, it won't DEcelerate as much as you might be expecting, and it may start moving in a direction other than what you expected, which can fool the inner ear, but there is no physical way for it to ACcelerate.

Yeah, I've heard this before and it STILL violates the laws of physics. :rolleyes:

Yes, if you are on a hill with little or no friction, gravity will cause the car to accelerate. If you are on a flat surface and the wheels lock, causing the car to start sliding, it CANNOT accelerate unless you have discovered a new source of energy. Yes, it won't DEcelerate as much as you might be expecting, and it may start moving in a direction other than what you expected, which can fool the inner ear, but there is no physical way for it to ACcelerate.

I guess what I meant to say is the vehicle SEEMS to go faster. You are absolutely right. I did not have my "rocket scientist " hat on.

Guest windjamer
:) Hey thanks Keiser, I done been look for that there scientist word spelling in the dick-shun-arry fo two days now. Who da smart alick what put a c after the s?? No wonder I no find.:):)

Years ago when i use to drive a 40' school bus , one of the other drivers got half way up a hill, stopped to pick up her kids once she applied the Maxi (air brakes ), she slid all the way back down the hill in reverse, and took out 5 cars that where right behind her on the way back down,,

I went out to drive the GMC and the throttle was frozen stiff..... Wouldn't move!!

I guess it's some kindda safety feature

When the weather warms I need to get out the can of Breach Grease!

5 pound can you can see the bottom thru the stuff.... then the doors will freeze shut before the gas pedal :)

I HATE WINTER.....

3826-dsc05754.jpg

The only problem I've had here is the ice has frozen the two front power windows on my 1996 Buick Century Custom. The right rear works slow, and the rear left wiggles. The fronts will not do anything. I guess I'll have to put it in a spot with heat, or wait until spring.

Move over Punxsuatwney Phil..... :D Dandy Dave!

Dave,

Why would you want the windows down in this weather? If you need to pay tolls, get an EZPass.

John

When I take ma to the Medical Center, I need to get a Parking Pass, and then give it back on the way out. Everything worked before the freezing rain. Dandy Dave!