Found! Online List of Stations Selling Ethanol-Free Gasoline!

carbdoc

Here it is:

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Simply click onyour state at the bottom of the page, then look for your town or city on the next screen. It lists the stations' addresses and GPS coordinates, and it even includes the octane rating(s) which they offer.

Please forgive me if this info has already been posted, but I have been looking all over for such a site and I finally found it this morning.

Always use ethanol free fuel in your antique car when possible, especially if you have encountered poor fuel economy, any type of premature carburetor/fuel pump failure, and/or vapor lock.

Jeff<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Just a word of caution. This list is not updated reguarly. For example, in my town, there are three locations listed. Two of them no longer sell ethanol free fuel. Only one still does.

So, check the list, but double check at the location before you start fueling up with what you think is ethanol free but may not be.

Guest Bob Call

I just posted three stations in my neighborhood that are ethonol free. Another one was already listed. Another station listed is Reeder's Phillips 66 at the corner of E 21st St and S Lewis Ave, Tulsa, OK. This is a real old fashioned SERVICE station not a mini-mart. The Reeder family has been at this location for about 50 years or more. It is full service only, no self service. One reason is they are located in a part of town where the ladies wouldn't be caught dead pumping gas. Reeder's also does general auto repair service like brakes, exhaust, tune-up, etc that most old time service stations did.

If you guys find this type of info useful, then it is incumbent on us to do like the site requests, and maintain the data. Please re-read the info at the top of the site's pages where it speaks of how to remove stations that are not selling NON-ethanol gas anymore AND the link to a site where State's labeling requirements are listed. This would be EXCELLENT information if we all contribute to helping maintain the info so it is up to date.

I took note of a station near my home that had been listed as selling mid-grade NON-ethanol gas. But in late December someone else also took note (as I did) that they no longer had the mid-grade, only the hi-octane, and had changed the web site's info before I got home to report it! That is what we are talking about here. Taking some responsibility to help maintain this site's info so it is up to date and not just us finding it easier to complain about it's inaccuracy.

This could be a VERY useful tool now that a good portion of the population has "smart-phones" and can look this info up quickly when needed. If more NON-ethanol fuel is purchased, supply and demand will show the need for this fuel and consequently they may be more inclined to produce the stuff longer. Let's help ourselves out! ;)

This would be EXCELLENT information if we all contribute to helping maintain the info so it is up to date.

I took note of a station near my home that had been listed as selling mid-grade NON-ethanol gas. But in late December someone else also took note (as I did) that they no longer had the mid-grade, only the hi-octane, and had changed the web site's info before I got home to report it! That is what we are talking about here. Taking some responsibility to help maintain this site's info so it is up to date and not just us finding it easier to complain about it's inaccuracy. ;)

A little common sense might help as well. No station stocks separate mid-grade gas. It is always a blend of regular and high-octane. There is simply no way a station could have non-ethanol mid-grade and still have ethanol in it's regular.

People are reporting the stickers on the pumps. I wouldn't trust those if I read them myself.

Edited by Dave@Moon
typo not noticed (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
A little common sense might help as well. No stattion stocks separate mid-grade gas. It is always a blend of regular and high-octane. There is simply no way a station could have non-ethanol mid-grade and still have ethanol in it's regular.

People are reporting the stickers on the pumps. I wouldn't trust those if I read them myself.

Good advice for everyone. We are all at the mercy of the post mixing process that takes place as a fuel delivery truck tank is filled at an area distributor's facility. We are also at the mercy of whomever is supposed to be responsible for posting the content of the fuel.

Jim

A little common sense might help as well. No station stocks separate mid-grade gas. It is always a blend of regular and high-octane. There is simply no way a station could have non-ethanol mid-grade and still have ethanol in it's regular.

:rolleyes:

Here is the layout of the situation as I see it. I was at our local "Fleet Farm" gas station about a month ago. I had filled my old car with the mid-grade 89 octane ethanol free gas in late November before storage. I went back three weeks later to fill my gas can with the same fuel to use in my snowblower, but they had removed the "Ethanol Free" pump label from ALL of their pumps. I went inside to ask what was up and they said that they were not able to get the ethanol free mid-grade on the last shipment (they seemed a bit ticked about that), so they HAD to remove the listing on the pumps. They intended to let the mid-grade tanks run empty if they were not able to get the ethanol free mid-grade within a week or so.

I went back this week and found they had the mid-grade 89 octane pumps re-marked "Ethanol Free". I intend to wait another couple weeks (as long as blow-able snow holds off), and then go back to fill my gas can. I want to wait to make sure any crud from the low tanks would settle out again to make sure I got clean gas.

So, from this I see that the stations are VERY regulated and seem to be complying with those regulations concerning correct labeling of the pump gas. I also have personal knowledge (because our town is a storage and distribution point for gasoline) that there ARE separate blended tanks for 87 octane, 89 octane, 91 octane, 92 octane, and a host off others including different grades of aviation-gas. These are all stored separately and the distribution tanker trucks are divided into separate chambers so that the different grades never mix. Also, each brand has their own proprietary blend of additives that are added at the local storage facility. The "base gas" is already refined into the different octane versions and proprietary additives are then put in locally to make "Shell" or "Citgo" or "BP" or "Mobil", etc. Whatever proprietary blend each uses. The base gas is from essentially the same tanks.

For the conspiracy experts out there, the only way to "prove" this all, is to test the gas yourself. (Good luck with that. If you would like -and trust this test kit - you can purchase an Alcohol Fuel Test Kit from the following source: Order page - Ethanol Alcohol Fuel Test Kit.). If you rely on the "regulators" that are supposed to check this stuff, like labeling, pump distribution accuracy, etc, you may NEVER truly believe it is right unless you personally check the accuracy of the regulators. Then - "someone" may need to check your work! (This could go on forever). Let's try to believe that the regulators have enough pride in their jobs that they are doing them right. Why else would the above mentioned gas station take all that time to change ALL the labeling on their pumps for just one late delivery!?! (The regulators MUST be doing their jobs!)

Hope this helps "clear the air". ;)

Hence: Back to the original issue - we should all take the time to help keep the info up-to-date on this informative website to give us the best chance to find the different types of fuels we need.

post-67404-143138418933_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2
Added link & photo (see edit history)

I also have personal knowledge (because our town is a storage and distribution point for gasoline) that there ARE separate blended tanks for 87 octane, 89 octane, 91 octane, 92 octane, and a host off others including different grades of aviation-gas.

I also have personal knowledge.

I use to be the state environmental inspector for all of the tank farms (8) in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh). Part of each inspection was a review of the hazardous materials inventory for each one. There were no mid-grade tanks at any of them, only premium and regular. Refined gasoline came out of the pipelines in just 2 varieties at all 7 facilities (2 were side-by-side at the same pipeline outlet).

I also participated in the startup of PA's underground tank registration program, mainly by way of monitoring removal and cleanup operations. There weren't any mid-grade tanks at the stations either.

I'm not saying that there's no mid-grade storage tank anywhere on earth. I haven't been everywhere. But in my professional experience any mid-grade I ever saw sold in Pennsylvania was a blend of regular and premium made at the the station inside the gas pump as it was dispensed. In the modern world it would be an unnecessary expense to do it any other way, and an extremely high expense at that.

Edited by Dave@Moon
explained 7 vs. 8 discrepancy (see edit history)

Here it is:

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Simply click onyour state at the bottom of the page, then look for your town or city on the next screen. It lists the stations' addresses and GPS coordinates, and it even includes the octane rating(s) which they offer.

Please forgive me if this info has already been posted, but I have been looking all over for such a site and I finally found it this morning.

Always use ethanol free fuel in your antique car when possible, especially if you have encountered poor fuel economy, any type of premature carburetor/fuel pump failure, and/or vapor lock.

Jeff<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course my state ( the peoples republic of California ) is not on your list!

10% ethanol cost each of my cars 4mpg. Think of how much fuel we are wasting EPA & LAWMAKERS!

Don

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10% ethanol cost each of my cars 4mpg. Think of how much fuel we are wasting EPA & LAWMAKERS!

Don

I wouldn't blame it on California.

In 2008 roughly 7% of every drop of fuel put into a gasoline vehicle in the United States was ethanol.( Renewable & Alternative Fuels FAQs - Energy Information Administration ) Now, 3 years on, it's expected to top 8%.( U.S. ethanol production to rise as EPA sets share | Reuters ) If 10% is the limit and the average is 8% there can't be a whole lot of 0% out there anywhere. 5% maybe, but 0%...no way.

If you're anywhere near a farm you can bet you've had nothing to burn but E10. At this point ethanol is ubiquitous, and here in the midwest it's been ALL E10 for years. Avoiding it is almost impossible. Frankly I'm at a total loss as to how any retail outlet could possibly avoid ethanol in it's product 100%.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Don

I was once convinced the mpg loss with E10 and E15 was horrendous as you note. However on computer controlled engines that should straighten itself out to a large degree. With the shift from "summer" fuels to "Winter" fuels in this part of the world, one could easily see initially a 3 to 4 mpg loss. A month and a few fill-ups later, mpg's had returned to normal. Of course, I would have no similar expectation with a normally aspirated engine in a 1980s or before vehicle.

Though I personally think that ethanol is stupid for many reasons, it does have the distinct benefit of helping to keep the inside of an engine cleaner than fuels without ethanol content.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)