Spark Plugs, and wires for V12

Guest tomw51

Which are the best spark plugs for 1946 Continental, V12. I have mixed plugs on mine now, and one of the is a H10. Are Motorcraft AL7C good or are Champion H10C better ? Im also looking for the spark plug wires anything special about them ?

About my plug wires. Now I have wires that have bare metal ends exposed that clip onto the spark plug. Would anyone recommed using rubber shield wire instead of the exposed. Looks wise I like the bare metal. What are you guys using out there for your V12's ?

Ijust installed a nice repro set , and bought a spare..but am disappointed to report arcing in the conduits..really

ticks me off.....time and trouble to do'em right......Yes to answer your question..they were stock black laquered with bare metal ends,.. wreak havoc on radio reception and bad on

rainey days but correct for historical review......not certain what i will do now....

I use Packard 440 wire you can still get spools of it cheap at the swap meets, I think I paid 10 dollars for a brand new spool last year. I use the red crown 90 degree ends still with exposed metal on the H10c plugs. The red crown ends are old school hot rod stuff like what Packard used on thier V12s, it just adds a little color to the engine compartment.

Guest Silverghost

I cannot understand the arcing you say you are now getting after installing new ignition wires in your conduit.

Was the wire you used old stock that was stiff and possibly the insulation cracked internally ?

Old dried-out and stiff ignition cable is almost worthless in my opinion.

You still find spools of it around on eBay and at auto flea markets.

I bought an entire spool of NOS Packard ignition cable in a box on eBay that was dried-out & pure worthless junk!

Did you possibly nick or chafe the wire while threading it into the conduit ?

Did you hear cracking when you tried to bend this ignition cable ?

New old style ignition wire should not have any external leakage sparking or arcing !

I suspect the new ignition cable you used was too old or internally the rubber insulation was dried-up, stiff , cracked and defective.

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

I purchased my new wire sets from a honorable lzoc member ....and i refrain from naming out of a great respect... no they were not stiff...and i dont think i damaged em, but obviously must have...they slid in pretty easily but i fought with a couple after wrong routing forced me to pull and put back ...(answered my own question i suppose) I have always run h-10s.. but

for the heck of it installed a set of ngk's (jim zeffer said it was sacriledge ..jap plugs in a 40's American car!) but they have run properly so far...H-10c is just the new copper cored version of traditional plug that came stock.

Ditto on NGKs. I have used them in many of my old cars with better results than Champions or other brands. The only reason I can think if is that one of the features of any spark plug is its ability to "self-clean". NGKs seem to stay cleaner longer in older carburetted engines that run richer mixtures. That has been my experience.

• 9 years later...