BCA National Meet 2011

Booreatta

As I am sure every one knows the Buick Nationals will be held in Danvers Mass. next July 5-9, 2011

The host hotel will be the Crowne Plaza Boston North Shore at 50 Ferncroft Rd, Danvers, Mass 01923 Phone number is 1-888-233-9527 Make sure you ask for the Buick Club of America Room rate. The rate is for a week before and a week after the meet.

THE REATTA DIVISION WILL USE THIS HOTEL AS OUR HOST HOTEL ALSO.

If you are planning to make the trip to Danvers, I would suggest that you begin to make plans now, it is sure to be a popular meet in a great location.

The Reatta Division directors are looking for a member that lives close to the meet that we might be able to pick your brain for locations to do our Rendezvous at the meet. If anyone has any Ideas please contact George Madsen or My self so we can begin to make plans for the Rendezvous.

If we have half as much fun as last year it will be a memorable Meet

Happy New Year and we will see you in Danvers

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

316-655-1099

Edited by Rawja
spelling (see edit history)

We need someone that knows the area to give suggestions on a place for the Rendezvous.

We would like to keep the drive to maybe 20 miles one way and avoid traffic if possible, remember we could have 30 Reattas trying to stay together.

We need a place to eat that has parking and ideally a side room that we could use.

Pete Phillips (all things Buick) is from the area and might have some suggestions. I will contact him for his input.

I'm from south of Boston but here is some info:

"Danvers is located nearly halfway between Boston and the New Hampshire state border. It is bordered by Topsfield to the north, Wenham to the northeast, Beverly to the east, a small portion of Salem to the southeast, Peabody to the south and southwest, and Middleton to the northwest. The town center lies 4 miles north from Salem, 16 miles west of Gloucester, 18 miles northeast of Boston, and 19 miles southeast from the nearest point in New Hampshire. Interstate 95 and Route 128 both pass through the town, just east of their junction in Peabody. U.S. Route 1 also passes through town, with a large junction with Interstate 95 in the northwest end of town. "

Though I hope everyone takes advantage of the many historical sites in Mass please be aware that it is one of the most congested places in the country. There will probably be absolutely no parking in Boston itself, especially for more than a car or two. However, there is an excellent transportation system with busses, subway, and trains that can get you anywhere. The Freedom Trail includes a ton of sites from the Colonial times and the Revolution, from the site of the Boston Massacre, Old State House (and newer State House), Old Ironsides, burial grounds, North Church, etc. etc. Faneull Hall is a favorite stopover for the shops and history. Everything is in walking distance. There is also a slew of museums (Museum of Fine Arts and Kennedy Presidential Library to name 2), colleges, attractions. However, again, poor parking.

West would be Lexington-Concord battlefield, Olde Sturbridge Village, etc. Again, around an hour but plenty of parking.

South of Boston would be over an hour ride, but for those planning to spend some time here be sure to visit Plymouth Plantation and the Mayflower. Right on Plymouth Harbor (and 10 minutes from me) is an authentic village from 1640, complete with period actors, houses, etc. The staff of the plantation act as if it is 1640 with the English language, crafts, dress, etc. Also a day of whale watching for all of you not near the ocean. Further south in southern Rhode Island is Newport, where you will be able to visit some of the most unbelievable mansions anywhere. The oldest car collection in the country is at the Larz Anderson Museum of Transportation in Brookline, near the JFK Birthplace. Don't know what the exhibit is this year but they are always great.

Salem would be an ideal spot for a drive. (Wiki link:

Salem, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

as it is less than 25 minutes, has some large parks, some walking attractions, old waterfront, and a lot of history. The Salem Witch Museum is there but I would recommend reading about it before you visit. A lot of old shops, homes, and attractions. There is a great park there, and the Peabody Essex Museum.

For the brave you could arrive early and spend the 4th of July in Boston. The Boston Pops play a free outdoor concert with some of the best fireworks anywhere. However, you have to get there real early or compete with half a million people for a spot.

Best of all, the Red Sox will be playing Toronto and Baltimore at Fenway Park, my favorite place. Hopefully they will be in first, way ahead of the damnyankees (damnyankees is one word here, or he-ah if you haven't heard our accent. Translation: Pahk yoa cah heah means "park your car here"). Tickets are sold out in hours, but the resellers often have them and there is no bad seat at Fenway.

Plan a week and you will still have plenty left to do, especially if you are a history buff.

And if you still want more the American Motors national meet will be in Mass for 2012.

Guest steveskyhawk

"We need someone that knows the area to give suggestions on a place for the Rendezvous"

How about Palm Springs?

Guest HessLakeGuy

Filled out and mailed my registration forms yesterday.

Also, I started my 2010 taxes.

When its 4 degrees outside you become a bit more focused on inside tasks.

Tom

You can google "Danvers, MA" and link up with a number of hotels real close to the host hotel for reasonable $$/night. You might also consider Gloucester Harbor, or Rockport, or Boston's USS Constitution for your Reatta rendezvous...all "google-able".

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see that Tom Benvie posted and hope he will be at the Danvers meet. Tom has been a Reatta owner for a long time, with an absence in the middle. I remember he was very active around 2000.

I attended the Danvers BCA meet in 1997 (or '98) and the host site is very nice and apparantly is even nicer now. The only down side to the location, nothing is within walking distance. The hotel is off a limited access road and to get to other hotels, resturants, etc you must use your car. I was looking at Google maps and there may now be a back way into the Hotel, but I am not sure that is any advantage.

One reason for attempting to keep the Rendezvous within reasonable driving distance is getting the group seperated in congested areas. This was not a problem in Iowa....even downtown Ames was not congested. When we take 30 Reattas on the road, it would be nice to keep them together and/or make certain we don't loose anyone.

I am sure there will be good maps giving directions to the destination.

Also, Danvers was the meet that originated the Rendezvous. There was a group of owner coming across Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc that had the idea to meet at a location and drive in to Danvers together. The theme of the Rendezvous has changed and the number of cars has increased, but this would make it about 13 consecutive Rendezvous for the Reatta Div.

Steve,

I a word, NO. Judging at a National Meet is run by the BCA. If you would like a copy of the by-laws you need only to email me personally. When and if you participate, you will discover that a judging team is composed of four members and a team chief. Each member judges a specific part of each car, interior, engine, exterior and undercarriage. The team chief coordinates the efforts of the team, settles questions and is responsible for score sheet tally and turn in among other duties.

There is no prohibition that I know of as far a judges entering his/her own car. If judges could not enter their own car, there would be very few cars to judge since judges are meet attendees who volunteer their time. Many judge in a class they enter since they are most familiar with the class car they own. I am not sure where you got the idea that someone had to enter a car in a spouse's name so they could judge it.

I will give you a personal example. I have judged at several meets. Last year I judged engines in the Reatta classes ( I would not have a clue what to look for in a 1939 Buick engine bay). I believe there were three or four teams judging Reattas. When it came time to judge my car, I asked a person judging engines for another team to judge my engine and I stepped away from the process until my car was judged. I would guess that is the way most judges handle the situation.

I hopes this helps with your understanding about the 400 point judging process.

I made a reservation at the Crowne Plaza for July 6th-9th. Hope to bring the white car. Hope to bring Elin too. No interest in judging, to be judged or judging the judges; however.. the last Reatta rendezvous I went on was a lot of fun and hope to do it again. What day would that be? It's a ways off, but have it on the calendar :)

Edited by NYBobP (see edit history)

I hope with one reply most questions can be answered. The first question is what day is the rendezvous on and the answer is we don't know yet. I am hoping; that it will be on Friday evening but that is yet to be determined as we try to work around other meeting and events going on. Hopefully that will be determined by George in the near future. The second question is when is it too late to commit to going to the National. The official date is June 17,2011 if you wish to have your car judged. I don't know of a date for just attending the national, but bear in mind that the people putting on the National need to have as much time as possible to make it a successful event. An event like a national meet requires a lot of planning and most of the planning needs to be done as far in advance as possible. I would think that everybody's travel plans should be final by the middle of June 2011.

Chuck

Ed - generally, when one recuses oneself from judging your own car, the team captain takes over that responsibility. Keep in mind that most classes don't have multiple judging teams for a class - the Reatta classes could be considered lucky that way.

The host hotel has filled the BCA rate rooms for the Tuesday and Wednesday nights. The regular rate is only $20 more though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Road mister

I can suggest a few things; I grew up in Boston, still jump on a plane now & then for the 2 1/2 hour ride from Tampa to visit family & friends. I don’t miss the cold though.<O:p</O:p

I will put up a link to a reasonably priced Comfort Inn, Zip code 02124, Dorchester Ma. This is close enough to the city, and handy to the Transit system. You don’t want to drive or try to park downtown.<O:p></O:p>

A great and inexpensive way to see and get to the City is to drive the water shuttle, in Weymouth, plenty of free parking at the shuttle, and pay about $6.00 for a great boat ride.<O:p></O:p>

And this thing cruises you across the harbor and drops you within walking distance of everything. Runs about every 2 hours both ways. <O:p></O:p>

Attached is photo I took from the shuttle as it approaches Boston this past fall. <O:p></O:p>

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-boston-massachusetts-MA109<O:p></O:p>

post-63023-143138443496_thumb.jpg

If its the one I believe Road mister is writing about, the shuttle is on the Weymouth/Hingham town line at the old Hingham Shipyard on route 3A...a WWII US Navy ship building facility that cranked out "tin cans" by the hundreds. The shipyard has been transformed into up scale indoor/outdoor shopping and restaurants. There is a wicked load of parking for small bucks.

Guest Road mister

The shuttle parking lot has room, but intended for leaving your car while you take the boat, not much to see there or hang out at.<O:p</O:p

Gave this some thought and what would be good Idea is to get the group together and beach hop, and hang out a bit at each along the shoreline, one of the few places that is a nice drive. There are several parking lots along the way that abut the beaches, most have picnic areas or a burger stand, or save your appetite and thirst and finish the cruise at Marina Bay, a great place to hang out with a crowd. All handy to the Comfort Inn.<O:p</O:p

I would start the meet at the Inn Parking lot, cruise to Castle Island, the route is all shore line and this is the furthest point, work your way back with several lots and beaches and sites along the way and finish up at Marina Bay. And you are also back in the vicinity of the hotel. Note speed limit strictly enforced along the beach.

<O:p</O:pAttached are some links that can get you started and goggle what catches your eye. <O:p</O:p

http://www.discoverquincy.com/marinaBay.htm<O:p</O:p

http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/placestogo/?nid=2&sid=14<O:p</O:p

http://www.celebrateboston.com/castle-island.htm<O:p</O:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest 1990WVReatta

Hello every one, 1st off I plan on attending this years BCA National.... My 1st ever btw. I am courius if there is anyone around the West Virginia area or travling close to W.v. in route to the BCA that would like to meet up and make the journey together Kinda a small reatta convoy so to speak :)). This will also be my first long distants trip in my reatta. and the first time ive been further north than P.A. lol

• 1 month later...

For those of you who are staying at the Crowne Plaza in Danvers for the BCA Meet, you will find out it isn't a Crowne Plaza anymore. You cannot get a confirmation on the Holiday Inn website either. If you call the number listed on the back of this month's Buick Bugle they will tell they "no longer have anything to do with the Buick group". (The last time I was on hold for 7 minutes before a live person came on.)

The correct number is (978) 777-2500. It is now called Coco Key. If you want to confirm your reservation you might also be on hold a long time. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Good luck with your reservation.

See you in Danvers!

Edited by NYBobP
update (see edit history)