One Million 1963, 64 and 65 Rivieras

lrlforfun

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard that GM's new roof line for '65 really hurt the 3rd year for the Riviera.

Elaborate on this one, as IMO the 65 is the best looking first gen Riv. So much so, I personally would never consider owning a 63 or 64.

Sorry I didn't elaborate more. The '65 Rivera kept the same roof line as the '63 and '64 before it. Other than the vinyl top option and the trim piece below the rear window, all three years are exactly the same.

My reference to "GM's new roof line for '65" was in reference to the fast back styling of the Wildcat, and the other similar cars in the other GM divisions.

Here's a link to the GM Photo Store. Pictured is a '65 Wildcat sporting this new roof line.

Google Image Result for http://www.gmphotostore.com/images/53218185_pr.jpg

Buick went to this roof line with the '66 Riviera and sold almost 11,000 more units than it did in '65. The public must have liked it.

Ed

PS - Best in show at the 2010 ROA meet in PA was a '64. :-) That's gotta say something.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

OK Ed, now I got ya. You are probably right. The car business was so competitive back then. Car makers used to change body styles almost every year in those days to remain competitive.

OK Riviera People: Was my post a Craig's List post where nobody reads the copy and just looks at the pictures??

My question was.......Does anybody out there TODAY have multiple examples (more than say,10 cars or so) of the 1963, 1964 and 1965 Riviera? I would like to know details such as, how they are stored, cared for as well as everything about them. Mitch

Kevin lost the hangers - he had two of them. According to our new chapter roster, he has 18 Rivieras: one GS each year - 1965, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 & 75, one 84 turbo convertible, one 85 t-type turbo, two 85 turbo convertibles, one 96 convertible, one 99 coupe and one 99 Silver Arrow. The last I heard, he was storing the cars at his workplace until he can find another location.

Jim,

Don't forget about the Toronado, the Sunbeam and the 55 Chevy Pick up! I hope he can get another place, the hangars worked out really well!

Dan,

Just need a bucks up local Buick guy to donate the land and building! You being retired and me a state employee, it's not going to be either one of us!

I don't know of anyone with more than a couple first generation cars, Tom Mooney may be an exception. I'm not sure what the significance of the question really is. Obviously, the more cars you have stored, the more it costs to store them, maintain them, insure them, clean them and keep them road worthy! I have a screamin' deal on my storage, $150 per car per winter, but this is the last year for that, I'll be looking for storage next winter.

Tim

OK Riviera People: Was my post a Craig's List post where nobody reads the copy and just looks at the pictures??

Ha, LOL, correct. I can write 4 paragraphs and they still ask questions contained in the paragraphs