86 Century GS

Guest BJM

Hey guys and gals. Need to save and purchase a couple of the rarest Buicks of the 1980's. I owned an 86 GS Century 'briefly' 3 years ago and of all the cars I have owned I regret this one and my 73 Centurion convertible - getting away.

They only made 1026 of the 1986 Century GS. They are extremely well sorted with the 3.8L V6, specific body and wheels, interior appointments. I am working on the 86 in Texas but if someone beats me to it, I am OK as long as it's saved. (see my footer)

I spoke with the owner of the Texas car. Very nice fellow. Car is east of Austin and is complete. Non runner, won't take less then $1000 as he has the info on it's rarity.

He said it is complete with all GS specific parts. He said he has owned it 10 years and it has 100,000 miles and was pulled because of a transmission leak.

The TN car (I think it's Tennessee, hard to tell on CL) I offered a low ball offer and he said he already has offers of $1500 so there are GS fans out there (as with most limited production cars, there are cult followings)

1986 Buick Century GS

1986 Buick Century GS

Remember if you purchase one of these, to continue the search for parts/parts cars. Although the GS specific parts are not available, other Century and 3.8L parts would be. And the 80's Centurys are on their last 5 year run of availability. They are already 20-26 years old and will drop off of CL soon, but for now are cheap for parts stocking.

Also Remember: 1 of 1029 and how many are left? Maybe 150-200 cars total?

Will we see these at BCA events 10 years from now or will it disappear like an endangered species that has lost it's habitat and quietly went away.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I passed on one back in 1991 in Butler PA, I regretted not buying that car immediately and still do. I find it a great package. It would instantly give a a unique show car with all the comfort and convenience of a modern car.

I think one of the CL is already gone, or at least deleted.

John

John

Either he is "confident" I will purchase or he has sold it to someone else. This is an interesting one. It needs restored, non running, off the road 10 years - and if it has been sold to another party without Buick ties, then it's just another old car. This new owner will probably not do anything to it. But it has dropped off the map so to speak. Hope a Bucik person bought it.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

The paint condition on the one in Texas leads me to think that it was probably overpriced, at least compared to the other one. While parts aren't always readily available nor inexpensive, mechanical stuff can usually be dealt with, but if you need to paint a car, you need to paint a car. There is a variety of ways it can be done, from back yard to the best shop you have locally, which influences cost tremendously, but if you have a car with decent paint that you can get running nicely, I think you'd be further ahead.

The paint condition on the one in Texas leads me to think that it was probably overpriced, at least compared to the other one.

Derek

Good observation. But, Roberta is correct. My dad gave me a 93 Century and it had clear coat peeling and needed repaint after 4 years!

So, the fact that it is salt free Texas is the plus since I do body offs on everything.

The 88 T Type Lesabre I have is under full body off now. I have tried to post photos but my new camera is a 13.2 megapixel and Peter G says I need to reduce to 2g.

Anyway, 2 things to consider. You know the "large" 70's cars you and I own. The sheet metal swept area is probably twice the area of an 86 Century GS or my 88 T Type Lesabre. So painting is not as scary.

#2, modern paint applied correctly (but not necessarily professionally as you note) would ensure a long lived enjoyment of the car. No worries about paint fade down the line. Plus all 1029 of the century GS's were black.

I would pay the $2000 as well. The car I owned I bought for $200! I am still crying. It was a Nebraska seller that just wanted it gone! I flipped it to raise money for another cars parts for restoration. To a Century GS cult guy back east.

See post above on issue with photos. I keep trying to add but get blocked and I think it is due to new pixel capability of my camera.

BUT, you are correct-no frame. I am stripping it to nuts and bolts, Front clip coming off, subframes front and rear off, engine/drivetrain off or out, interior out.

Symantics I guess, a sign of the unibody times....