Headlight Sensor

Guest 88 Black and Tan

Guest 88 Black and Tan

Looking for a good dash cover & ran into the terminology 'Headlight Sensor'. Don't even know if I've got one & if I do where it is located on the dash. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are two sensors under middle of the dash cover. One measures sun load (brightness) and the other is a "twilight" sensor. Both appear to be photocells.

The level sensor in a 90-91 triggers the most idiotic warning light I have seen, "headlights suggested" which often comes on in my 90 when I pass under a tree canopy and seems to latch forever

Padgett,

I too have noticed the much-too-sensitive trigger for the "Headlights suggested" telltale on my 91. I had suspected it was a bogus photocell, but if yours operates the same way, I guess maybe it is normal. I used to leave the Twilight Sentinel set, so I didn't have to turn the headlights on manually (reduced wear & tear on the headlamp switch) but got tired of the lamps popping up in nearly full daylight when I was in a shady spot or such.

Anyone else have this problem?

KDirk

Guest 88 Black and Tan

Thanks for all your replies. I hadn't heard the term 'Headlight Sensor' so just wanted to make sure it wasn't a Reatta thing that might sense the guy behind with bright lights on and somehow shut off his ignition.:)

Mike - 88 Black and Tan

Guest steveskyhawk

I think the "headlight suggested" function is a joke. I am sometimes tempted to take out the IPC and remove the bulb. Seems to me that if you need to be told that it is dark out then maybe you need to be on the bus.

Guest steveskyhawk

To remove the "headlight suggested" bulb from your IPC you simply remove the cluster, then remove the lens to expose the bulb in question. Then with a needle nose plier you squeeze the bulb as hard as you can. Consider the job done. It will then be a lot less bright. Repeat with SES and "Electrical Problem" as you deem necessary.

Guest Richard D

When flouresent dash panels were new people would see them lit up and forget to turn on their headlights. I have a friend who bought a new 91 GMC pickup that also would remind with a headlight symbol blinking, if you did not turn them on after some time a chime would also start it's harrasment.

Guest Kingsley

Certainly nothing negative intended here but being a purist I would not change anything - that is why my first production of a headlight crank arm was the RETRO-FIT which gives the identical appearance of the OE part when installled as it is, indeed, the original part. By a strong margin, purists are in the minority among owners. To each his own!

Regarding the "Headlamps suggested", later (some 1994-up Cadillacs and certainly 1999 and later) had a message that would appear on the 20 character driver information center display saying the same thing. Would also state "Ice Possible" at vehicle start-up if outside temperature was less than 35 degrees F. Both warnings seem so obvious as to be stupid. Yet in the case of the headlamp warning, since Twilight Sentinel was standard I imagine many people set it and if it was inadvertently turned off, they may forget to turn on the headlamps at dusk assuming they would come on automatically.

I have no real complaint with the headlamp warning, other than the Reatta seems calibrated to show it (or turn the headlights on if the sentinel is set on a 91) much too soon for the level of daylight remaining. My Deville by comparison never turns the lights on until well into dusk levels of daylight. Don't know if this is an aberration of the photocell, or the BCM programming that determines the threshold for turning on the warning (or lights). Could be either or both.

FWIW, three times in the past 10 days I have witnessed drivers well after dark (say 9-10pm) who had no lights on. How you cannot notice that the road is completely dark in front of you is beyond me, but with all the in-car gadget distractions and general stupidity, I guess I'm not surprised.

KDirk

Admitting up front I'm weird:

I tend to put my running lights on (w/fogs on the Reatta) as the ambient light levels are just beginning to lower, usually prior to sunset proper. I'm then usually among the last 10% on the road to switch the headlights on.

I've never liked the twilight sentinel feature and have always left it turned off on my Cadillacs. The only time I use it is for the extremely rare occasion where having the headlights switched on after the car is off to illuminate where I'm walking to is useful, which is for the most part never especially now as you can use your phone as a flashlight.

On my '88 Seville the result of my apparently peculiar use of the cars exterior illumination features is a big orange idiot light that tells me to check the DIC where it informs me that "parking lights are on" (I know, I just turned them on) later followed by the big orange alert directing my attention to the DIC for my "headlamps suggested" warning as it gets darker. Whatever. I'm not changin'.

My 90 also has the headlights suggested come on way to soon and it is a distraction. I always drive with my fogs on in all weather day or night. I do that on all of my cars, its not that I need or want the light to drive but I think that other drivers see me. Kansas has a law now that if you have to run your wipers and you don't have your lights on then you can get a ticket. Seems like a good law to me, If it saves one accident it is worth it.

Kansas has a law now that if you have to run your wipers and you don't have your lights on then you can get a ticket. Seems like a good law to me, If it saves one accident it is worth it.

NC has that law too, and has for a while. Not that it does much good.... :rolleyes:

Most of you know I sell Covercraft custom car covers, I also have "dash covers" and front mask (bras) for Reattas and many other cars.

You can go to Covercraft Vehicle Protection Products and view all their products. Then contact me and I can have the part sent directly to you from the factory in Oklahoma.

* carpet like dash covers are $35 including shipping... they have a new "suede" material also

* LeBra brand front mask are $75 including shipping

* Custom car covers for a Reatta start at $125.95 including shipping and go up... the material choice dictates the final cost.

* Covercraft also designed a "cockpit cover" for Reattas, this covers the windshield and seats of a Reatta when the top is down, several material choices starting at $65

I use the dash covers on all my cars to save the dash and reduce glare. Covercraft has patterns that go back into the '60's for the more popular cars.

Guest steveskyhawk

Padgett,

A company called California Pop Top makes a nice cockpit cover for our Reattas. One of my cars can be seen on the website. I was allowed to keep the prototype in exchange for letting my car be measured. Nice cover for the money. I have 2.

Do you have a link to the "Cockpit Cover" ? I could not find it. Cab covers mirror covers, but no cockpit covers...

I have had a California Pop Top for about 4 years. Got the 1st one shortly after they were introduced on this forum. My R lives outside. On a typical 80 degree day, the interior will climb to 140 or so. With the cover on, it will not go over 85. Amazing difference. My original cover began to tear from wind stress, I returned it and was sent a new one under warranty. No problem. I feel that they are a tad pricey, but a good product....... Jim