Keeping it originial?

D-a-n-i-e-l

Guest mounthopewalt

My definition of original would be the configuration of the car as it left the factory. Any dealer modifications that were suggested or approved by the manufacturerer should not not impact it's original status.

I'm sure there are other definitions, as this is a grey area.

Guest steveskyhawk

IMHO: Better, yes. Original, no

I'll second that. I believe that GM had every intention of making a supercharged engine an option. I believe that is the reason the 88-90 cars were equipped with a hydraulic boost system. With pressure in the intake manifold where would the vacuum come from for a vacuum assist boost?

How about "numbers matching" instead of original? I remember the performance cars Buick was accomplishing in the 1980's (think Grand National), and I believe supercharging or turbocharging would have been an appropriate modification/evolution for the Reatta, at least as an option. As others have said/done, the Reatta GS!

Think the hydroboost was for diesel operation (can see "diesel fuel only" in the 88-89 panel). Problem was not a lack of boosted engines, it was the lack of a FWD tranny that could take the torque. 440T4 was pretty near maxed out at 220 lb-ft.

That said I have no doubt that a 1995 Reatta would have had an L67.

My cars have many changes (wheels, tires, air horns, fog lights, etc.) but all are bolt on (reason I do not have a trunk handle).

Hydroboost is typically used with Diesel engines, and also heavier duty (e.g. 2500 series and above, but also some 'heavy half ton') trucks and SUVs. It is a somewhat common mod in the light truck world to upgrade from vacuum to hydroboost in order to get better braking. But a major difference them and the Reatta is that they share the power steering pump, instead of using a self-contained system.

In the video of Barney interviewing the Reatta guys (it is on Reattatudes 3-DVD set), Barney asked the panel why they used the Teves ABS system. One of the engineers simply stated that at the time, it was considered the best in the industry. So they used it.

If you rebuild the original engine block with the suppercharged engine internals and intake (making it 100% supercharged), would it still be considered original?

not original but if done right the car should be worth more.the car would look original to anyone that didn't know reattas.imo as long as you don't stick a small block chevy under there its origional enough.lol

GM did turbocharge 3.8's for more than ten years before the Reatta, although not in the 3800 iteration. Good question about the factory experimentals they did, and it is unfortunate they apparently did not survive. The downside to the S/C engine, (if there is one), is it didn't exist before the Reatta terminated. My personal opinion is that it is a logical upgrade if the model had continued so it is actually a prototype ;-)

Guest Richard D

Why did you remove the turbo/super charger? Or have I missed something in this post? Perhaps I should check my meds. Again.:confused:

No still in there untill the end of the day. I am pulling and rebuilding the engine. I just though it migh be nice to say it is still the original block seeing how I have it sitting in the corner of the garrage. To be honest I was going to throw a series 3 SC engine in (have one here with 15k miles on it), but after looking at it closer I do not need the extra HP. I mean I break loose the tires at 35mph as it is. The series 3 alos lends itself better to the RX7 I am doing next. Do to the series 2 engine being used in the Camaros, I will be able to get the parts to drop in into the RWD config a lot easier.

Guest Richard D

Thank's for clearing that up. It always amazes me when folks talk about "throwing in a different engine or tranny" like I would talk if I was changing my plug wires. I was told that I may have to have my tranny overhauled in the next 15 to 20,000 miles and when I look at the drawings I just can not imagine doing that. My biggest repair job was an engine swap on my MGB, I was 20 years old at the time and quite proud of myself. Until the replacement engine spun a bearing. The wrecked donor MGB only had 20,000 miles on it, or 120,000