61 Olds 88/SF Rubber Conduit Needed

bjtstarfire

I am looking to create my own rubber conduit for the electrical wires that travel between my front doors and the body for the power windows.

I am also trying to see if some later model cas may have a setup that fits this older application but in todays salvage yards they don't let you window shop due to legal issues. With that stated you have to know what fits and no one want to take the time to search with you for a few bucks profit.

Anyone run into this and find a suitable replacement form a new car?

Thanks,

Ben

I am looking to create my own rubber conduit for the electrical wires that travel between my front doors and the body for the power windows.

I am also trying to see if some later model cas may have a setup that fits this older application but in todays salvage yards they don't let you window shop due to legal issues. With that stated you have to know what fits and no one want to take the time to search with you for a few bucks profit.

Anyone run into this and find a suitable replacement form a new car?

Thanks,

Ben

Have you tried Fusick and/or Steele Rubber for reproductions?

Guest Jim_Edwards

Keep in mind that every GM "B" body car of the era will more than likely have used the same exact flex conduit between the body and the door, so don't limit yourself to just Oldsmobile restoration suppliers. It's also probably one of those things that may have endured several years of production so don't limit yourself to the year either.

Jim

Thanks Jim and I do try to look at all the sister type cars also from GM when hunting for parts.

I just found a local U-Pull it junk yard - Wow! not many left and I thought they we all gone... I hope I will get a chance soon to look around for something from a late model that will fit my needs.

I have from time to time found things for my '62 Olds Starfire that were supplied by Impala Bob's (Chevy, of course), and Ames (Pontiac).

Another source may be USA Parts Supply, out of Kearneysville, W. Va.

Even if Fusick's doesn't have it in their catalog, did you talk to Mike or Dave, or any of the other great guys there? Sometimes they can find it anyways!

Guest Jim_Edwards
Dave,

That is correct and from what I see the chevy one does not have an angled end like the 61 SF.

Not a big deal - I have a plan to fix the original ones for now...

Be very, very careful with the handling of those armrests. The plastic used for the base portion has probably become quite brittle and it won't take much to accidentally knock a chunk out of one. Even a short drop to the floor can be catastrophic.

Re-chroming the bright areas can also be a bit of a problem and I'll suggest you'll find the answer to that issue with Caswell Plating an online supplier of a variety of plating options you can do yourself. They do have kits for the plating of small plastic parts.

We need for someone to duplicate the armrest base for '61-'62 Starfires as the chances of finding decent pieces from a parts car are getting just about nill.

Guest Jim_Edwards

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to get passed the brittle plastic bases, which after nearly 50 years have nearly reached the point of self destruction. I've thought about silicon molds to make a new set but have scrapped that idea because of all the support webs molded into them. Not too sure it wouldn't be better to fill the cavities with some sort of spray foam and then cover with leather grained vinyl if the base is already cracked and chipping.

I have a couple of damaged sets, just need time to experiment on a solution that will endure a bit of time. I have a feeling that it won't be long until the armrests even on cars that have been babied for the last fifty years begin breaking all over the place when someone actually rests their arm on one.

I just noticed a single salvaged armrest on ebay at $99.00 (good luck with that) and the seller admitted it already has a crack in the base and use cracks in the pad. Probably won't even survive being shipped if I had a guess.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

If you think that is bad look at this:

1961 1962 OLDSMOBILE STARFIRE COUPE CONVERTIBL ARMRESTS - eBay (item 360320104420 end time Dec-16-10 11:08:44 PST)

ebay <TABLE class=sp1 summary="Other item info" cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TD class=inf_lab vAlign=top width="1%" align=left>Item number:</TD><TD vAlign=top>360320104420</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Item # 360320104420<TABLE class=sp1 summary="Other item info" cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TD class=inf_lab vAlign=top width="1%" align=left>360320104420Item number:</TD><TD vAlign=top>360320104420</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guest Jim_Edwards
If you think that is bad look at this:

1961 1962 OLDSMOBILE STARFIRE COUPE CONVERTIBL ARMRESTS - eBay (item 360320104420 end time Dec-16-10 11:08:44 PST)

ebay <table class="sp1" summary="Other item info" cellpadding="3"><tbody><tr><td class="inf_lab" align="left" valign="top" width="1%">Item number:</td><td valign="top">360320104420</td></tr></tbody></table>Item # 360320104420<table class="sp1" summary="Other item info" cellpadding="3"><tbody><tr><td class="inf_lab" align="left" valign="top" width="1%">360320104420Item number:</td><td valign="top">360320104420</td></tr></tbody></table>

I've looked at some of that IDIOTS ebay listings before and now just ignore them. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind paying the prices he puts on anything. Guess he doesn't realize he ain't the only game in town.

And on those things I'll guarantee not a one of the bases isn't so brittle that a drop to a hard floor from less than three feet won't break a chunk out of them. (speaking from direct experience)

I suspect the reason has them taken apart is he has some bases, some ends and some pads from no telling how many that had bases so badly broken they were worthless assembled.

Jim

Heh. I'll give it to ol' Imperial Bubba- he never quits. He, like another notoriously overpriced vendor in SoCal, is counting on people with more money than sense who don't have enough gumption to go searching elsewhere, or who don't have or know how to use parts books and interchanges.

Plus we all know guys for whom paying top dollar for parts is a badge of honor. Gives them ammo to say how much $$ they have in their restoration.

But for some reason I was thinking Impala SS used this same armrest base? and that the Impala crowd had reproductions?

Guest Jim_Edwards

We've gotten way off topic here but I can say having checked across GM production years for "B" body coupes of all brands the '61-'62 Starfire and 98 Holiday "A" body coupes are the only vehicles to have used the exact same armrest base with reflector extension. I don't know if the 98 4dr Holiday cars of the years may have used a variation. There does appear to be interchange of the armrest bases for all others across several years of "B" body production.

As I have mentioned before the nature of the plastic used for the bases has unfortunately lead to it becoming very, very brittle and fragile and I would doubt if there is a single one anywhere on or off a vehicle that cannot be easily broken, even mounted on a door. Treat very gently!

Jim

Check the Fusick online catalog. I'm bound to think these conduits are the same as for my 64 Starfires, and seems like they were repopping those at one time. How about Ames? sometimes they have stuff for Pontiac that crosses over to the rest. This is that flat s-shaped thing, right?

On Paul's 61 Chevy brochure- check out the Impala 2-door sedan- the only year it was made. Production was ridiculously low. I think I've seen two in my lifetime. Note that I'm not counting the 77-later coupes, as none of them had a true hardtop by then.

• 1 month later...

If you have not solved the issue with the rubber conduits yet, I purchased a set from Ecklers Late Great Chevy part # 561148 (their number) for my 62 Buick ($80). Same parts used for all GM 61-62 models. Not cheap but a perfect reproduction and complete with all the clips as well. They have an online catalogue to view. As mentioned earlier, many parts interchange between the GM brands in those years and Chevs have a much larger selection of reproduction parts to choose from. I have used this option quite a few times myself.