56 Re-paint progress.

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

I thought I had posted some pix of the in-progress shots of my 56 Roadmaster re-paint, guess not! He found, on the passenger side some really thick bondo, took that off and pulled out the dents. Driver's side so far is not as bad. Just a guy working out of his one car garage.

post-67843-143138359522_thumb.jpg

Looking pretty good. My 56 had a lot of hidden bondo and rust on mine too. As of now its in the barn looking not much different than the pic. Til i can get some time and money. I have the hood and removed fender in primer and ready to paint.

Fender removed due to leaking heater core. Until I can get that fixed paints on hold.

Good luck with your repaint.

Image0016.jpg?t=1290819341

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gunjeep444

Body work got finished up nicely and he started putting the color on. Coral and cream were my picks. The door jambs pix probably shows the actual color the best. By the way, how do you change your avatar picture? Like to delete the one I'm using, or shrink it in size.

post-67843-143138380012_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138380015_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138380018_thumb.jpg

Guest gunjeep444

I'm saving all the pictures. May make up a board/or album to have at the local car show in the spring, if I have it back together by then! Here's the latest shots. Doors are back on and jambs of them painted. He had to replace a few hinge bolts, and did align the one door that was off. Taking trim over tomorrow so he's sure where the paint separates at.

Still polishing trim!

post-67843-143138381428_thumb.jpg

Guest gunjeep444

It's just some colors I picked out, in the DuPont paint book. I just knew I wanted coral and cream(was in my head for some reason). Buick had coral and white in 56. I think 55 Chevy had a coral and cream. Considered an aqua roof with it for a bit, but decided to stick with the cream roof.

Took over the trim pieces today and he marked off where the colors changed around the front fender and rear wheel well/door area. Should get some cream on below the trim line tomorrow.

Guest NikeAjax

Hey Jerry, is there a difference between your coral and Tahiti Coral? Yours seems like the lighter color for the 56's. My car is the Tahiti Coral much darker: I guess I should just ask, what's the official GM color name? BTW, great color!

Jaybird

Guest gunjeep444

Jay, I knew I wanted cream and coral. We looked through the DuPont paint book I borrowed from the Mr Automotive store. I can give you the numbers from that, if I can find them! So, not official Buick colors. Just picked what I wanted. Just want to have fun with the car, so making it a nice driver but that is all. Should get the new interior in this winter and the bumpers re-chromed, then just mess with little stuff as it pops up.

Guest NikeAjax

Jerry, don't worry about the name, number etc. whatever... It's not important, I was just wondering about "coral". I'm sure that the black and white on my car have names too, I thought you were using G.M. SUPER OFFICIAL, TM, COLORS! (add official music and echo) I thought it odd that they'd call two colors coral is all.

Jaybird

You might consider "coral" as a color family rather than just one color, just as there are blue-whites, bright whites, creamy whites (ivory), etc., plus a whole selection of blues, reds, and other primary colors. Not to forget the "poly" (i.e., metallic) versions!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year . . . from TEXAS

NTX5467

Guest gunjeep444

He got some coral on the trunk and rear quarters, these shots are before the clear coat. He needs to get more paint(I didn't think he had enough) but has to wait till Monday. THe passenger side has the cream on, but it was under the paper, so I didn't get a shot of that.

post-67843-143138383785_thumb.jpg

Jerry, what type of paint are you using on your car? Base coat / Clear coat, single stage ureathane, acrylic lacquer? Interested because I will be painting my car this spring / summer. Thanks.

BTW..the car is looking AWESOME!! Keep us posted with pic's..

Guest gunjeep444

He's using DuPont base coat/clear coat. Seems he had a can he said was 'activator'? He does not speak real good English, so I'm not real sure about it. Thanks for your kind comments. Getting bids on the upholstery. Coming in at $1200-1500. I got the new carpet from CARS and the headliner is okay. We bought the cloth ourselves. So need to save up for that, may be Feb, but I'll be busy putting the trim back on(still buffing on that) and putting down the foil bubble insulation stuff. So plenty to do!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gunjeep444

Well, he didn't get the sanding/buffing done before the big snow storm hit. Guess it will be awhile before the streets are cleared. May hire a flatbed wrecker to bring it out to my place in the country.