1928 Chassis Frame number

humber349

Guest jules greenway

Hi Phil

Good to see another member in the UK-do keep in touch- I am compiling a list of PreWar Buick owners in the UK

cheers

Jules

I`m sorry Phil,I thought it was in the manual but when looking it was this site,but I couldn`t find it.My scan is not working otherwise I could have scan it for you.

Perhaps someone else will help you if you don`t find it.

And the question is where to find the lokation of serial number on older Buick:s.

Leif in Sweden.

AOL Lifestream : Login

I don`t know,the site seems to change name.maybe it`s gone.

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Hi, I finally got my body lifted off today to get down to the bare chassis.

Leif, here are the photos I promised.

I found a number stamped on the rear left mounting bracket. I suspect it is the part number for the bracket. Any ideas?

post-71527-143138504587_thumb.jpg

post-71527-143138504589_thumb.jpg

post-71527-143138504591_thumb.jpg

post-71527-143138504593_thumb.jpg

According to The Standard Catalog of Buick, 1903 - 2004, 3rd Edition, 1928 "Serial numbers on right side of frame behind front wheel opening. Starting Standard Six 1901476, Master Six 1911026. Ending Standard Six 2137872, Master Six 2169650. Engine numbers on crankcase."

If the wheelbase is 114.5 inches the car is a Standard Six. If it is 120 to 128 inches it is a Master Six. 5,194 built for export.

Hi Colin, thanks Leif,

I now have the registration plates for the car UC 8426, a 1928 London number.

Does anyone know if the London records survived?

I also have photos of the car being pulled out of a barn in Birchington in Kent in 1987, which show a square brass chassis plate on the bulkhead (can't read it unfortunately), and lots of photos of the chassis restoration.

• 2 weeks later...

humber349,

It seems like you really have a mystery on your hands. Are you planning to have a new body built for the car? I seems we are not sure if the car had an original Canadian body on it, or one that was fabricated in the UK on a "cowl job" (chassis shipped from Canada with cowl, hood on chassis).

The photo you included with the number seems to be a part number for that particular component. Hopefully, some one with a parts book can at least verify that that part number is correct for the year of manufacture. I am curious about what appears to be a double slot screw, where what one would expect a rivit, or perhaps that is a correct rivit in that photo.

Someone really familiar with 1928s should be able to provide more info.

John

Double slot bolt looks really incorrect here. Through this hole is wooden rail of the body attached to the frame using carriage bolt. This bracket is bolted to the frame rail, not riveted. Leif confirmed above the number is partnumber for the bracket.