1927 dodge brothers coupe carberator

Guest 27 coupe

Guest M R Simpers

1927 Dodge,

That is a Model "A" Ford Tillotson carb, or some other cheap pot metal brand.

Back in 1975 afterr I bought my 1927 DB, I pulled off the Stewart carb, cleaned it up, and put it back on only to have the can not start. As a result, I put on a Tillotson carb. I notice, like my car, you are not running with a vacuum tank. Like me you probably have an electric fuel pump. I have been told that the original Stewart carbs will not work with the excessive pressure of an electric fuel pump.

I am in the process of detailing out my engine compartment. I have rebuilt the Stewart carb, the original vacuum pump, etc.

Your air cleaner looks like an original DB cleaner. The intake end should be cut in a turbine fan type pattern. If so, hold on to the air cleaner. It is worth more that that pot metal carb.

M.R. Simpers

Cocoa, FL

1927 DB, Series 124, Cantrell Bodied woodie

1928 Ford Model "A", Tudor

Others....

I believe that is actually a later DB Carb, Looks like about a mid 30"s model 6 cyl carb. Hard to tell without seeing some numbers. I own "The Carburetor Shop", and have seen these on many 30's Dodges. Fred

I believe that is actually a later DB Carb, Looks like about a mid 30"s model 6 cyl carb. Hard to tell without seeing some numbers. I own "The Carburetor Shop", and have seen these on many 30's Dodges. Fred

Mmmm...I thought that all DB carbs were downdraft after 1932 (except trucks).

Guest 27 coupe

thanks all.....there is a problem with the carberator i think.....i used a funnel to add gas to the carb by gravity...when the bowl fills, the float did not raise and shut off the flow and gas dumped out the overflow port.....thats not right, right? I checked the float and it does not appear to have gas in it....pushed the float up and tried to blow the jet port and could not blow through it.....what do you think

Edited by 27 coupe (see edit history)

When I purchased my '27 3/4 ton truck it came with the original Stewart carb and an electric fuel pump.While it is a "C" motor not a fast four (not sure carb would be the same as yours) it works fine with an electric fuel pump with the use of a regulator to control the pressure. While it runs great as is I plan to convert back to the vac. tank for originality.

Guest 27 coupe

found out that this is a FAST 4 motor....and IT'S ALIVE>>>>>>i got her to start up today and is music to my ears.....my father-n-law would be proud.......RIP Woody...

post-70252-143138317204_thumb.jpg

The "Fast 4" would have used a true updraft Stewart. Earlier fours used a Stewart that was technically a sidedraft carburetor, due to the 90 degree gooseneck which was part of the carburetor.

The Stewart is an excellent carburetor, made by the Detroit Lubricator Company, and would be included in what I consider to be the top three carburetor makes of the era. Stromberg and Zenith are the other two.

Jon.

Guest M R Simpers

Regarding the 1927 version of this Stewart carb that Mr. Wellens posted, you will note, if you look closely at the top of the float chamber, there is a special round "something-or-other". On the older versions of this carb all you'd see coming through the top plate was the round rod that comes up through the float.

What did they do in 1927? Is this "something-or-other" some sort of float adjustment?

I am running - if I can ever get her started again - with the older version. Does anyone know where I can get a correct float assembly?

What say?

M.R.

Cocoa, Fla.

The "something-or-other" is simply a dust cap. Virtually all of the carburetors using the round float with the needle through the center had some sort of dust cap.

Removing the dust cap gave access to the fuel valve, and if the carburetor were flooding (often) the fuel valve could be pushed down into the seat to stop the flooding. The fuel valve could also be rotated against the seat to cause debris to clear.

Flooding was so common, these dust caps normally resided in the glove box (or coat pocket, or they just were thrown away in anger).

VERY uncommon to actually see one on the car.

The details on the picture don't permit verifying that the dust cap pictured is original.

Earlier Stewarts had them as well as the 1927.

Jon.

Jon - Thanks for the info, now I know what to do when the carb floods. Of course sometimes I will remove the dust cap and lift on the rod so that I can tell if the carb is getting gas. By lifting up on the rod eventially gas will come pouring out and I know that there is gas in the vacuum tank. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...