1932 Packard 902 Convertible Coupe

Guest Elliemae

I agree with West...

Also I will add to that...

If you are going to "Restore" a car~

Why not find the best and rarest example to restore ?

The initial cost of the project may be more on a Super 8, or better yet V 12 .

BUT...

With a Super 8 or V 12 you would have a far more rare and valuable car that will always be in very high demand.

You would be far likely to be "Upside Down" with the better power cars.

It's also far easier to work on an original unrestored car ~

You won't have to un-do what some other person has done in his "Restoration" un-correctly.

I have seen some crazy mods done to great cars during so called "Restorations"!

I always tell folks~

Buy the rarest & best restored or original example you can afford going in...

The cost of restoration will almost be the same for the rarer & more valuable car~

But you will have a rarer & far more valuable car when you are finished the restoration !

I totally agree with you on buying the best you can afford. I had a chance to buy a 34 V12 Convertible Victoria before I bought my 32 Delux 8 coupe roadster. It was about 50% more than what I paid for my 32 Super 8. After calculating the spent restoration on the 32 Super 8, The 34 V12 might had been the better buy. However I thought I was stretching with the 32 super 8. Also I liked the coupe roadster body style better than the convetible vic.

I totally agree with you on buying the best you can afford. I had a chance to buy a 34 V12 Convertible Victoria before I bought my 32 Delux 8 coupe roadster. It was about 50% more than what I paid for my 32 Super 8. After calculating the spent restoration on the 32 Super 8, The 34 V12 might had been the better buy. However I thought I was stretching with the 32 super 8. Also I liked the coupe roadster body style better than the convetible vic.

Someone else can chime in but I think the difference between super 8 prices & V12 prices are not that great. You probably did right with the coupe roadster over the victoria.

Someone else can chime in but I think the difference between super 8 prices & V12 prices are not that great. You probably did right with the coupe roadster over the victoria.

From what I have seen V12 prices for a 32-34 coupe roadster are about 1/3 more than a super 8.

Gents-

Another perspective for you. I bought my first "old car", a 1938 Chevy 2dr sedan, in 1968. I've probably owned at least 100 collectible, special interest, muscle, sports - you name the category of cars - since then. Usually one at a time. It wasn't until the '80's sometime before I gave much thought to what the next guy would pay, or how rare or desirable the car was. I bought what I liked, played with it until I got bored or something better came along, and moved on. I've never owned a Packard before, or any true classic for that matter. I've always appreciated them and admired their owners. Now that I've turned 60 I'm at the "If not now, when?" point and I'm going to buy a classic.

When I look at this Packard it is a dream machine to me. I think that if I could get it for around $50K, sort out the mechanicals for another $5K or so, knock off 37 years of dirt, and hit the road, I would be incredibly happy. The next person will be buying from my estate unless one of my kids wants to keep it. If the new owner wants to bring everything up to be completely correct, and as nice as it looked on a showroom floor, or anything between where I leave it and perfection, I'll look down from heaven (I hope) and wish them happiness and good luck.

I'm new to this site and really impressed by your depth of knowledge and willingness to help this lady out. If I offended anybody by choosing not to restore the Packard should I be lucky enough to buy it, I'm sorry. I would like to take the next step to get in touch with this woman. If you've been in direct contact with her, please let me know how I can do so as well.

Thanks,

Wayne

Guest Silverghost

Why not send here a PM on this forum here as she checks-in from time to time !

You could also leave here your phone number or email address here ?

West Peterson could also possibly put you in contact with her ?

tbirdman....The reason a 1932 - 1936 Super Eight is worth so much more than a Standard Eight is because the Super Eight is built on the same heavier chassis as the Twelve. The StandardEight is a lighter weight chassis with shorter hood. Not saying it's right, but there have been many, many 1932 - 1936 Super Eights made into Twelves over the years. The Twelve engine fits right in. You can't do that with a Standard Eight. Also, the 1933 - 34 Super Eight looks like a Twelve with the veed headlights. The Standard Eight is noticeable plainer with he flat headlight lenses. The Super Eight is a large 384 ci displacement engine. I don't remember what the Standard Eight is, but I believe it's under 350 ci. I have to agree with West that the car is worth in the 50K - 60K range.

About 15 years ago I was told where there was a 1936 Packard Standard Eight club sedan 1/2 apart in a barn near me. I didn't bother looking into it because I was told it was the Standard Eight with the small engine. Another collector eventually got it, and it turned out to be a Super Eight instead. My fault for not investigating, as I would have pursured it more had I known it was the Super Eight. That 384 ci straight eight is a hell of an engine.

In 1937, Packard dropped the 384 ci engine and used the small Standard Eight engine in the lighter chassis but now called it the Super Eight, and they dropped the Standard Eight name altogether. The 1937 Super Eight is a far cry from what the 1935 - 36 Super Eight was.

Wayne, my guess is most here would be fine with a strategy of enjoying the car for what it is for a while, not only do you get to enjoy soon, but over time you can decide if you want to pusue an eventual restoration. Hope you consider a Packard as a first "Full Classic" - well supported in terms of clubs, parts networks, etc. and while value may not be a prime consideration, usually a pretty sound financial bet in relative terms. Welcome to the forum. If it were in my budget I would certainly pursue this car, but remember to figure in shipping and logisitcs of buying a car long distance.

Having driven a standard 8 & a super 8 not too long ago, I would also note that there is a noticeable difference in power which could account for some of the value difference as well.

Does not make this less of a car, but the differences do make for added desirability of the more Sr. models. This is why the 745 I refer to in another thread here has substantial value in what is essentially junkyard condition.

The subject car in this thread seems like a really great start. I wonder if Elliemae sells it or keeps it???

I'm new to this site and really impressed by your depth of knowledge and willingness to help this lady out. If I offended anybody by choosing not to restore the Packard should I be lucky enough to buy it, I'm sorry. I would like to take the next step to get in touch with this woman. If you've been in direct contact with her, please let me know how I can do so as well.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne

I don't think anyone took what you said as offensive in the least bit. Most of us are "drivers," and are inspired at the idea of doing what you propose to do. Send me your contact information and I'll see if I can pass the information on to her.

EditorAACA@aaca.org Good luck!

Top down, advantage Coupe Roadster

Top up, advantage Victoria (unless backing into a tight parking place!!)

Is there really a value difference? I would think these would be neck in neck with any phaeton derivative right in there followed by touring? Then maybe coupe, club sedan and then regular closed cars?

One thing is certain, we will all know the true value of the subject car here best if Elliemae or a buyer like Wayne elects to report on the sale price of this car!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Hello-

I've been following your car in this Forum for the last several days. Like you, I'm new to this site and what it has to offer. I posted an opinion last night and asked how I might get in touch with you. I got several responses, one of which was to reply to your original message in hopes that you checked back frequently. Is your Packard still for sale? I would like to talk to you or the mechanic you mention if possible. My name is Wayne Meyer. My phone is 314-308-8236. My e-mail is mayneweyer2310@aol.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Wayne

West-

Thanks for your offer. I took silverghost's advice and responded to her original post. If I don't hear from her by the end of the week I'll get back with you.

Any opinions as to why the firewall might have been replaced, or the huge fuel pump with lines into the passenger compartment? I'm also confused as to why a bulkhead would be missing. Seems like it could weaken the structure of the car. I'll stay in touch. If this deal doesn't work out it won't stop my search for a classic.

Wayne

Wayne

Guest superods

I am interested in the automobile...... and not nearly as concerned about correctness as are all others in this discussion. Please give me a call at 440 281 4478 to discuss. Thank You. Mike

Wayne, good luck in your search. You may already know this but CCCA also defines this car as a Full Classic. Hopefully I did not call that into question when drawing the distinctions between this and the more Sr. cars of the line up for the year. The big pluses there of course, is that it is an entre into CCCA events and can't hurt resale. I would have to say that 1934 is probably the very best year for Packard styling, any '34 is a Full Classic.

The modifications were probably done years ago when these cars were less vauluable, and do not seem irreversable. My first order of business would be to correct the fuel line for safety's sake. IMO the key to the whole strategy is in how it runs, as the difference between sorting things out and a full overhaul would be substantial.

More and more people appreciate the original cars as well as older restorations that get driven and enjoyed.

Keep us posted on your search whether it is this or another Classic!

Guest Elliemae

We are definitely going to sell the Packard. However, we need to tie up some loose ends regarding the sale. I will definitely notify you when we are ready. Thanks for your patience.

Tbirdman, thought the same when I saw the post on Superrod's car however if I am not mistaken he had it on consignment with a well known dealer for nearly 2 years? Agree on the difference in condition - this is a great example of a relatively small increase in cash outlay possibly buying a lot more car, would really need to see them both to determine the true difference in condition. My only point being this type of situaiton is not all that rare, where say 15% more $$ buys 30% more car...