1957 Buick Rear Seat Speaker

1957buickjim

I'm looking for pictures of an installed rear seat speaker in the package shelf. I have just picked up a wonderbar / w rear speaker switch and would like to install one. Looking for pics or anyone that has had experience installing one. Also looking for the speaker grille for the mounting. Thanks. Jim

They did offer it as an option. I think it was a dealer installed item. There is a service bulletin on inop rear speakers in the 1957 Product Service Bulletin book. Just looking for a picture of the installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim is right! They did offer it as an option. It is not often you can see one. I was lucky to get one, and also get a original switch to it, which is really - really hard to find. So Jim -you don`t know how lucky you have been to find all in one JACKPOT!

Topper 1961

1957 century Model 63 and 66R

Topper 1961,

Can you shoot a few pictures of your speaker, switch and hookup? I would like to get some pics for reference. I have everything but the speaker grille, which I am looking for. Any leads would be really appreciated. You can send the pictures to my email, jpickard@theasegroup.com if you would like. Thanks.

Sure - I will ask my friend Art to bring the camera and take a couple of pictures as soon as possible! will send them to your email adress.

Jorn

Topper 1961,

Can you shoot a few pictures of your speaker, switch and hookup? I would like to get some pics for reference. I have everything but the speaker grille, which I am looking for. Any leads would be really appreciated. You can send the pictures to my email, jpickard@theasegroup.com if you would like. Thanks.

Just to follow up the discussion - In the 1957 Buick Facts Book provided to all salesmen (ages before women liberations), there is under the chapter "Factory-Installed Options" page 132 the following description: "REAR SEAT SPEAKER-provides rear seat listening without excessive volume. Families will appreciate this highly enjoyable convenience accessory. Driver controlled, it can be used independently or with regular front speaker. Ideal for children`s programs. The high quality tone reproduction matches the high fidelity reception of the Buick radio. Used in conjunction with regular speaker, listeneres are surounded with clear delicate tones insted of having sound "beamed" at them".

I also have an original Buick Accessories booklet For 1957, promoting what you can get true your local Buick Dealer. Here is the speaker described the following way "REAR SEAT SPEAKER. The Buick Autoradio Rear Seat Speaker is engineered to provide an unusally good tone ditribution throughout the car. Rear seat passenger can now enjoy the radio without objectionale volume. May be operated in conjunction with front seat speaker or idenpendently, as desired" In both this books/booklet there are only picture of a speaker without the any speakergrill. There is not with any word that the speakergrill or the switch is mention.

I guess both speaker, switch and any other items needed could be found in the Buick Partscatalog - any one?

I have tried to look up all pictures and forum with 1957 Buick pictures- and I have not found one yet that shows the REAR SPEAKER monted in the package shelf.

Jorn

Edited by Topper1961
Correction and adding of more information (see edit history)

Are you guys referring to this? A couple of photos shows my factory installed speaker switch, the rear speaker inside the car, a few photos showing the speaker from the trunk and a photo of my dash looking from the rear seat forward where you can just make out the radio speaker switch location on the lower dash what would be the driver's right knee area. Hope this helps!

post-56742-143138321585_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138321613_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138321643_thumb.jpg

post-56742-14313832167_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138321698_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138321728_thumb.jpg

post-56742-14313832176_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

David,

Thanks for the great pictures! Wow. Nice looking interior. Now you have me asking more questions. You have a wonderbar radio. I installed one in my Buick, and it came with another switch, that I am assuming goes in the accessory slot in the dash. What does that switch do, if you know? Also, I am interested in how the tissue box is attached to the underside of the dash. I have one of those also, but not sure how to install it.

If I had to guess, your interior is a light gray, and your body color is Dawn Gray with a Dover White. Is the rear speaker painted the interior color (light gray) or is it a fabric material? Also, is your rear package shelf textured? Also interested in any shots of your trunk (sides, floor mat, etc) as well as the hood / grille bar attachement in front of the air dam.

I have attached a couple of pics of my interior as I have been restoring it. Amazing similarities to your beautiful car.

Thanks again. Looking forward to hearing / seeing more pics.

post-65800-143138321827_thumb.jpg

post-65800-14313832185_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138321871_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138321894_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138321917_thumb.jpg

Jim:

Like your photos. That is one nice clean looking Buick!

Hey thanks for your comments on my interior. What you see is what came from the factory. My Roadmaster has never been redone. All I did was spend actually around 85-man hours in cleaning the interior and exterior right down to using toothpicks & cotton swabs when necessary - but at the end of the day it's all original.

The accessory knob you refer to was for that year, "Speed-Minder". ( This may be a place where the convertibles had an additional knob for the top but not sure on this) By turning the knob that would be located there as on mine, you can adjust a speed where in turn when you reached that speed a buzzer goes off letting you know you are going over the speed you have adjusted for. The dial for this is located in the lower left hand corner of the speedometer cluster if so fitted from the factory. It was standard on all Roadmasters and optional on other models. I have yet to complete taking my Buick out of it's 40-year hibernation sleep and therefore have not even driven the car yet, but if how things have turned out so far for me and this car then, well let's just say I have a sweet feeling that everything is going to be O.K.

The rear speaker is covered in a speaker cloth and the speaker ring is metal. The rear deck on my Roadmaster is covered in a textured material which can be seen in the photo.

The exterior color of my car is a solid Antique Ivory of that year. The interior is Interior Code 731 which is Antique Ivory Cordaveen (Early Vinyl) Black Cordaveen and Broad Tooth Black/Silver Nylon Fabric.

My trunk carpet is out of the car and is being cleaned. It is grayish taupe with blue thread detail in small squares.

The headliner is a perforated ivory cordaveen material as shown with stainless runners which the Roadmasters had.

I forgot to get those hood latch photos out to you and will as soon as I can.

Hope all this helps!

post-56742-143138322022_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138322051_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138322079_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138322108_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

David,

Great pictures! Unbelievable that the car is pristine original. I wish my car was like that when I got it, but here in Michigan and with this car - it just wan't so. I have had my car for 25+ years, am the 3rd owner of it. It originally came from Chicago area and wasn't registered by the original owner since 65. However, it was never garaged (he didn't have one with his house), so..it sat in his driveway, uncovered for 20 yrs through rain, snow, heat etc..alll the beautiful weather MI has to offer. Needless to say, it needed alot. I have been treating it to that slowly but surely to get it back to it's beautiful shape that it should be like yours.

So, the speaker grille is a 2 piece construction? outer ring and inner with speaker cloth. Interesting. I would have never guessed that from what is shown in the Product Service Bulletin.

I could spend 3 days going over your car and getting about 2000 photo's for documentation just to make sure that I am getting the right things (details) in the right places. You really have a wonderful artifact (living museum piece?) that is invaluable to someone like me who has been working to get a basket case (well maybe a grocery cart case) back to its original factory condition.

I appreciate your help with the photos and answering my questions. I hope that I am not a pest, just that I am curious and want to get it right with my car, even though it is restored. I am trying to use NOS parts when available, and digging for really decent used ones to replace corroded, missing or broken parts.

Thanks again, and I will keep the questions coming, if you don't mind. Looking forward to the other photos.

Jim:

I like the detailed good looks of your trunk area. I'll have to work on mine. The period suitcase is a nice touch.

Yes, as I progress into my Buick, I am finding it in overall well preserved condition. Detailing the inside and the outside got me real familiar with it. So while considering everything life can throw at you it is in remarkably original and overall good condition on the inside. Considering the variables and such, if the older lady who was the original owner had not just kept it in the garage and had let others use it or had it sat outside, then it would be a different story all together. Yes, truly almost a miracle.

I need to repaint on the outside, detail the frame, engine bay and bring everything back to life. This will take some joyful effort. The seat foams are toast as is the foam on the clove box. I will unfortunately have to redo the seats which will stray from my keep-as-is theme, but it is necessary. Thats the original carpet and it is in really good condition. But your right, all the pieces are there for me to work with.

You know when I first got the car you really would not know that I could of brought back the interior as I did. That alone really surprised me. I was able to bring back the outside chrome for the most part. It had sat in one garage for 30-years. I am guessing a pretty good tight location that preserved it. Then it got moved to a new garage that had very little ventilation for about 8 years and that caused some degradation to set in.

Keep me posted.

Very nice pictures, and a beautiful original car you have there david. It is the switch I have, but I see that I miss the clothing on the speaker. Do you know if this is order with the car from the factory, or if it is aftermarket. I know this could be difficult to answer, but at least what is your impression when you look at it.

This is great support and shows how this forums work - and should work!

Thanks Guys

Jorn

Edited by Topper1961
Adding text (see edit history)

I have my '57 RM outside waiting to wash it. It has a dealer-installed (?) rear speaker with a 3-position F/R fader pull in/out switch on the left side of the lower dash, unlike the pictured separate switch. Also, the speaker grille is one-piece metal painted black, original though the shelf was replaced. The grille shown in the Facts Book appears to be cloth/metal, but that could have varied widely in the field as the RS speakers were being installed.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Wow! Three different switch configurations and two types of speaker grilles, maybe three? TGRoadmaster, do you have a wonderbar radio in your car? Do you have the speed minder as well? I have seen in some literature that the speedminder was sometimes located under the dash. I purchased and installed a wonderbar in my car and the radio came with a switch that looked like a speaker control that hooked into the back of the radio. The knob was chrome just like the other control knobs on the dash (heater blower, light switch) I assumed that it was to go in the accessory slot on the lower left hand dash trim, which is where I installed it. It has green and black wires going from it to the radio and based on the product service bulletin, those are the wires that go to / from the rear speaker. Having three different installations is wild. I wonder which is the correct. Maybe it depended on whether you had factory installation or dealer installation and what options you have on your vehicle. The quest continues...

Jim,

I can't answer the question as to how many switches or speaker grilles were used,
or whether they were dealer or factory installed. The Facts Book alludes to the rear
speakers as being dealer installed...

post-87514-0-09913900-1449457473_thumb.j

This speaker appears almost round, but all the body part illustrations (Master Body Parts Book)
show an oval opening, for an oval speaker.

post-87514-0-52606700-1449457537_thumb.j

At far left is the 3-position pull out switch for the front-only/ front & rear/ rear-only speaker.

post-87514-0-85013600-1449457594_thumb.j

Same switch showing position under dash (it matches the other knobs).

post-87514-0-14885600-1449457656_thumb.j

The black metal speaker grille in my parcel shelf.

post-87514-0-97165100-1449457707_thumb.j

From one of the BPSB's on the rear speaker.

post-87514-0-14569500-1449457767_thumb.j

Continued from the BPSB.

post-87514-0-74466200-1449458041_thumb.j

The knobs and switches listed in the Master Body Parts Book
pertaining to the speaker.

Two things to consider:

1. Our Buicks were assembled at 8 plants all over the country, and suppliers to
these plants may have provided similar, yet different parts if, indeed,
any rear speakers were factory-installed;

2. Dealers across the country perhaps had even more leeway in "making it work"
with parts on their shelves, regardless if they were '57-specific or not.

It's just a hypothesis, but it may explain the variety of equipment we've found with your
question. I don't think anyone knows for sure, and I would argue that no judges know,
either. For the purpose of judging, if ever challenged, I'd have as much documentation
as possible to prove that what we have is correct.

My car has a WonderBar with foot switch (which doesn't work); I've looked for 20 years
for that switch, to no avail.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Topper - When I look at my speaker it has that same covering all those rounded wooden shortwave radios had when I was a kid. I am in my mid 50's and remember that stuff. Hold over from the forties and early fifties I guess. So yes it looks very period correct. Look at the black switch for my speaker selection, looks pre Heath Kit ( for those who remember those ) and definitely the fifties.

I purchased my car from the lady who bought it new and I am told took passionate care to give it regular good care dealer maintenance as shown on the photo of the maintenance tags.

For example below is a photo I took of one of the last maintenance service tags posted on the inner driver's door which the lady had performed on the car. I bought the car with 60,040 miles on the clock this past spring. These service tags are from 1968 & 70 and show the mileage at below 57.000 miles sometime in spring of 1968 and then again just below my current mileage in the fall of 1970 just before Thanksgiving of that year. She rarely drove the car but maintained it apparently very well. Therefore I believe everything about this car is right smack correct and dated on the money.

post-56742-14313832359_thumb.jpg

Going strictly by the Master Body Parts Book, the same knob (part # 1175180) is used for

the rear speaker knob (Group 9.655) and the heater/defroster knob (Group 9.740).

The other knobs matching their appearance in various places on the dash have different part #s.

After 20 years of ownership (and much pleasurable driving, all over the country),

I'm fairly intimate with the car and most of its quirks, so this speaker thing is most intriguing.

My upholstery, carpet, and trunk lining had to be replaced (with NOS upholstery) due to wear,

but the dash, headliner & door panels are as they left the dealer. All Roadmasters had the

Safety Group as standard, which included the Safety-Minder (Speed-Minder). The rear bumper

(and ends) were rechromed, and recently I finally added the correct muffler/resonator

system with the thru-the-bumper dual exhaust set up. It sounds great, and when the car is

cold the puff, puff, puff coming out of the bumper ends looks great, too.

57_rwb_show_2008_2x_12458.jpg

Larger. She sports her original Dover White/Dresden Blue paint; this was before the

correct bumper exhaust tips were installed.

Threads like this are important as we learn about and navigate through the '57's many nuances,

so thanks for starting and contributing to it. I would say that within the last 7- 10 years the cars

have finally attained recognition (long-overdue) as one of Buick's finest '50's designs.

Page one of the Chassis Section of the '57 Product Service Bulletins shows a Caballero Estate Wagon

with the tag line, "Dream-car styling" floating above it. We see so much influence from the

Motorama cars' designs in the '57's that, at times, I forget I'm driving a regular old production vehicle.

TG

Really fine Roadmaster you have there TG.

By new correct muffler/resonator exhaust system do you mean the actual original system consisting of the long oval muffler, then just behind that a much smaller oval resonator and then just before the tail pipe comes out of the rear corner another smaller cylindrical resonator which had drain holes that would be pointed down, then about 12-inches of rear tail pipe coming out thru this chrome corner bumper piece - A correct 3-piece system per side? If so let me know where you found the third drained resonator as I can only find the muffler and front resonator 2-piece system.

TG..what a beauty! Isn't great to be able to discuss items like this with people of similar interests. Thanks for being part of this thread as well. Collective knowledge increases everyones understanding.

Just reading and seeing the beauties posted on this thread prompted me to install a Wonderbar radio that I had purchased in my vehicle. Got her in, and by golly it works really well. It is pretty amazing technology if you think about the time when it was designed. The original station seeking radio, and believe it or not, the foot switch works as well.

Regarding your installation of the correct exhaust, I have single exhaust on my Special. I am not sure that they had a resonator on them with the 2 barrel carb. However, if I ever wanted to install dual exhaust on it, will it fit without changing the exhaust manifolds? And, where would suggest purchasing an exhaust system? I am also interested in what you mean by the correct exhaust tips? Looking forward to your reply.

TG!

This is excellent reading, and I can support what your writing. The switch you has on the "new posted" pictures, are the same as I have. I happend to know that the look of the jack could be different, and I found documentation that there where different producers which had the contract for delivering this item to the Buick Plants. So it is not so strange if it is the same case when it comes to Speaker Grill and the Switch. The problem or should we say challenge about 57 Buicks is the lack of - or wage/weak documentation available on the net.

Again - good pictures and good discussion!

Thanks TG

Edited by Topper1961
Adding more text (see edit history)

Topper,

Thanks for the good words, and I think we all would benefit from seeing the documentation about the different plant suppliers. Is there any chance of posting it here? The BCA Judging Manual for the cars needs to include this documentation, too, so that those who have their cars judged (and the judges themselves) can prove that what works for one '57 may be different on another '57.

(A case in point about about Judging Manuals. Back when I got my '57, my biz partner and I also acquired three original '47 & '49 Roadmaster sedans; two '47's, and one '49. They needed new tires, so we bought a set of five for one of the '47's, based on specs in the Judging Manual. At the time (1992) the manual showed tire sizes based on info from the '48-'49 Buick Shop Manual, the only reference available, as no '47-specific manual was produced.

After the tires were mounted, we couldn't get the fender skirts on or close the trunk because the tires were too big! I then consulted my Red Book, Nat'l Used Car Market Report (an incredibly-reliable used car saleman's guide), and found that tires for '47 RM's were 700-15's, and for '48 were 820-15's. We were able to use the 820's on another car, ordered the 700's, and they fit just right on the '47.

We notified the BCA with the documentation, and the Judging Manual was changed to reflect the correct information. Although speaker switches and grilles are not as expensive a fix as a new set of tires, it's an example of why supporting documents are critical to our collective knowledge base).

I'm always excited about the "discovery" of new information, as it leads to a better understanding of all our beautiful Buicks. Especially as it applies to what went on at the plants, since none of us were there back then.

TG

• 4 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoying this thread as I do any thread discussing correct original accessories and options of 53-57's. I have a Selectronic radio, power antenna w/switch and rear seat speaker switch out of a 56 Roadmaster and I am thinking the rear seat switch looks like the one pictured that attaches under the dash. I was told it came as original equipment. I will pull it out and take a picture for comparing. I know that on 54's and 55's there was a switch and knob same as all other knobs (round on 54 and flat top on 55's) that fit on the left side center of the dash, not under the dash.

I take it these are factory switches. Then the 54 and 55 where mounted in the dash but the 56 was not? BTW: How do you know that the bottom mounted switch is for a 1956?

The round knob one came out of a 54 Century, the flat top one with the white circle came out of a 55 Super and the round flat one that mounts under the dash came out of a 56 Roadmaster, looks like a 56 radio knob and although not visible in the above picture it is still attached to the Selectronic radio with a factory wire, so I just kinda assumed it "is for a 1956" .

post-31987-143138349604_thumb.jpg

Great - now I'm confused as well. That makes mine from a 1956 as well? Well maybe, well maybe not!? Guess the mystery continues as to what type is 'very right' for 1957? I have kinda tracked down the production date of my Roadmaster and have so far come up with a 1st week of December 1956 Build Date. Perhaps they were still using what was left over from 1956?

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Do any of you have a parts book? That will tell you the number of the proper switch. It will also show if there was indeed a midyear change.

It is kind of strange that 54-55's used an integral switch, then in 56, Buick changed to an under dash solution. It seems that would actually take more time on the assembly line.

The plot thickens...

This is a great thread.

..... "It is kind of strange that 54-55's used an integral switch, then in 56, Buick changed to an under dash solution. It seems that would actually take more time on the assembly line."

. . .Or maybe they just said in 57 - The heck with integrating it into the dash anymore since we came up with this 'Speed-Minder' boom to safety switch just where else are we gonna put it . . .!? So under the dash it went.

The more I think about it, I don't believe that they would of put it where TG's is located to the far left and under the air vent. I think in TG's case the same guy who put in that remote starter switch is one and same who installed his radio switch. I think Buick ran out of dash board real estate with their options and had to start putting things below. They also did this with the electric antenna mounted below the dash on the left side of the steering column.

With all this said however, I do like like the look of TG's and how it is mounted I just do not think it is factory. Furthermore I would speculate to mention I believe there were no factory radio switches mounted at the factory. I think they were all dealer mounted otherwise we would have a standard switch and it would of been mounted like the antenna & look just as integrated and cool.

Now take my switch for example - Mine looks like someone yanked it off of some 1940's hospital equipment or something similar like that - don't you think?

The part number on the inside of the escutcheon of the switch I am showing to be for a 1956 is 1171334. According to the parts book, that is the correct number for a 1956 Rear Seat Speaker Control Knob Escutcheon. There is not a number listed for a 1957 Escutcheon, only for a knob. This would support that TG's "instrument panel" knob is correct. In fact it should be correct for 1957-58 based on the parts book.

post-31987-143138350415_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138350433_thumb.jpg

Aha, the plot thickens like good gravy..Mr. Earl, your documentation would support the concept of the rear speaker switch being installed on the dash, under the accessory switch area, if the car did not have: 1. speed-minder; 2. was not a convertible; From what I can piece together, it may have depended upon the options on the car (speed minder, rear speaker) or type of body (convertible). If the car had only one option, then the switch could be placed in the accessory slot on the dash. If it had two or was a convertible with either, the speaker switch would be attached to an escutcheon (ala TG's Roadmistress) with the priority switch in the accessory slot. If it was a convertible and had all three items, the switches may be made to go in more than one location, i.e. under dash, in trim plate, in escutcheon. Comments?