HELP! I just bought a Reatta!

Guest Double M

Guest Double M

Hello everyone! I'm A.J. From Long Island NY and I just bought a 1990 Buick Reatta! I am excited and concerned at the same time! I dont know much about it yet and any help or assistance will always be greatfull. I hope to be a valued member of this forum and thank you all for any advice!

58995_476002397315_755087315_6728766_2255234_n.jpg

Guest Double M

Just about everything! Ive read alot online, which is a confusing bunch of posts that tell me many different contrasting things. Does a 1990 have the troublesome electrronic dash that the earlier ones had? I hear alot about tranny problems. Mine in particular has a sunroof that doesnt work, a toggle switch to operate the headlights and a light that says electrical lit up. Could that be the sunroof? Have I bought an electrical nightmare?!!! Are there parts available for these gizmos?!! I also hear they have a brake sysytem that needs to be replaced? Forgive all the q's, I am trying to sort it all out.

Guest Kingsley

Double M - you have just made two good decisions, the first being the purchase of the Reatta and the second taking advantage of the almost unbelievable Reatta expertise available on the Forum - it is freely and enthusiastically gven. Welcome!

How mechanically inclined are you? Makes a difference on terminalogy used and when you should seek outside help AFTER you've consulted this fine group.

The Reatta is a complex car, but one problem at a time.

In a nutshell, the 'issues' that tend to reoccur on the '90 are:

Dash (IPC) goes blank. '88-89 didn't have this problem.

Teves brake system.

Headlight door linkage.

A shop manual is a must have; one is download-able on Ronnie's site. Best to buy on off of E-bay though, as the download is quite large..

Go to Reatta Data Page , register, then download the 1990 Factory Service Manual and the 1993 Parts book. While waiting for the password, study the rest of the site.

Mechanicals and electrics are little different from the same year Riviera. Headlamp switch is special and why you probably have the toggle switch for the headlights.

Sunroof may operate with help but if it starts cocking, you need to replace3 at least one cable. With guidance you should be able to get closed again if it opens some.

Ronnie's site has more advanced how to information.

Sounds like your first task is going to be to remove other people's fixes that were rong.

Guest Double M

Thank You! If some of these "wrong" fixes work, then I will probably leave well enuf alone. I havent picked up the car yet, I will have it in about 2 weeks. I won it on ebay and its a 2-3 hour drive away. I am on Long Island in NY and it is in Conneticut. I got it for $1190 bucks!

Hey A.J., welcome to the cult. :D

I know how nerve-wracking getting one's first Reatta can be. The brakes in particular can be a bit daunting as they are a type of system that was fairly exotic and cutting-edge back in the day, but was supplanted by later technologies. There's nothing inherently wrong with the systems, just there aren't many mechanics who are familiar with them which often leads to expensive and ineffective repair. This forum gots you covered on that though.

The Reatta brain-trust here is exceedingly skilled at remote troubleshooting and once you've sorted out the issues with your new ride, you'll find that Reattas are extremely reliable and a uniquely satisfying drive.

I cannot suggest more strongly that you remove the previous bodge-job "repairs" that have been afflicted on your car, leaving it alone is asking for trouble.

I too live on the island, and while I'm not as proficient a mechanic as some others here on the forum, I've been dis- and re-assembling my Reattas for going on 10 years now and would be happy to assist you should you need it. I'm presently off on my own new-old car adventure driving an '89 Cadillac Allante back from AZ. I should be back to civilization by next weekend. ::knock wood::

You're gonna love this car, trust us.:cool:

Guest Double M

Thank you for such a cool responce. I need re-assurance, as this is the newest used car I have ever owned. I currently drive a 1985 Dodge Diplomat which is a Dinosaur compared to the Reatta.

I dont have the car yet, I have to go pick it up in Conneticut. I will know more about what I have then. I seemed to have been spared the woes of the Touch Screen, from the pics I have and the research, the 1990 doesnt have that, and I am greatfull. It seems like a major headache with these things. I hope that the brakes are good enough to not have to worry about them until I have too!

I am on an VERY low budget and this car is going to be my Daily Driver on a 30 mile each way commute on the LIE, so driveability and mechanics come first before restoration. I have had 25 cars so far, either new or restored in one way or another and I am fairly handy with the tools. I also collect Vintage Scooters and work on them often. I work for a High Performance Engine Company (Bill Mitchell's World Products in Ronkonoma) and have a few local contacts, but I havent had the need to use them yet.

It is great to have somebody familiar with this car, on the Island and hope not to be a pain in the but with questions. I guess my first thing is to find somebody good with electrics. I am psyched to get it and enjoy!

Hi Double M. I also have a black/tan 1990 and although I have had it in storage for 6 years, I drove it over 100,000 miles before that. I am a "girl" and know NOTHING about auto repair, but I have successfully made all of my own Reatta repairs with the help of the guys on this forum. It has been EXTREMELY reliable. Basically still 100% factory (except for perhaps an oxygen sensor or ignition wire). One major issue years ago (can't recall the exact symptoms). A mechanic had it for 3 weeks with no progress, so I took it home, researched the symptoms on the forum and in the service manual, and ended up replacing one of the onboard computers (purchased from another forum member). Installed it myself, and it was good to go.

One note on the brakes: When the car was new I lived in Chicago. In the winter, the antilock brakes would ofter "go out". They would do it at the precise moment you needed them. Example: you drive to work with normal brake action, then a car pulls out in front of you and you slam on the brakes... instead of braking, the pedal is hard as a rock and you think you can't stop. But, you can push through it and stop the car. Lived in California for 15 years and did not have the problem there. So, if you're on Long Island, be prepared. Not sure if the problem is on every vehicle though.

Good luck, Kimber

Guest Double M

Thanx Kimber!

Did you ever find out why the brakes do that?

I havent picked up the car yet, but I have found out that the left side headlight doesnt come up.

I guess this is my first problem to solve. I see a few Repair Kits online at EBAY, they all say they are the best, so I wonder if you all have a suggestion on a repair kit for the headlight doors.

I have decided to keep my Dinosaur Dodge for awhile as a back up untill I sort out the Reatta and press it into daily driving, but I am psyched to get it this weekend and hopefully have an uneventfull trip doing it!

Wish me luck!

Buy your headlight repair parts from one of the guys that frequent our forum. A few to choose from,your choice. You will love your new car. Congratulations!

Guest Double M

Well, I brought my Reatta home on Saturday!

A 3-4 hour non stop ride from almost Boston to Long Island w/o incident.

Not bad for $1190 and 123,000 miles!!!

I do love the car! :D

It handles and ride really nice, looks cool, has new tires, the stereo really cranks with a cd in it and so far it has started up every time, so far...

But I do also have my work cut out for me...

1 Headlight doesnt flip up

Service Engine Soon Light on

Anti-Lock brake light on

Parking Brake no worky

Electrical Problem Light on

Fuel door button no worky

Ciggie lighter no worky

Sunroof no worky

Discolored vinyl Steerring wheel air bag cover & Console

Headliner flappin in the breeze

Missing headlight switch replaced with simple toggle, but it works

no fog light switch

Power antennae no worky

The headlights and brake issues are number one as I have to get this car to pass NYS Inspection. I have corrosponded with one of this forum's headlight repair kit sellers, but havent determined if the sellers kit will fix my problem yet. But I need to get on this asap, so I can drive home at night from work!

Thank god they put a manual fuel door release in the trunk! I nearly ripped the door off the car and the nails off my fingers before I found this out!

This is my 26th car and my 4th Buick. Previously I owned a 1964 Skylark, A 1969 Buck GS 400 and a 1970 Buick LeSabre.

I am on an very low budget... This car will be my daily driver and will be a rolling restoration, not a trailer queen or Garage trophy.

Here we are...

60942_478987878318_645928318_6788203_3937304_n.jpg

Welcome!

On the headlight door, start digging. Could be either the crank arm, the rollers in the gearbox, or both. The hole in the crank arm where the motor shaft is inserted wears, so eventually the motor just spins. And the rollers disintegrate both from age and use. Either way, the repair is a very easy DIY job. Don't need to mess with ebay. The proper sellers are right here.

On the headlight switch - the '90 headlight/foglight switch is a one-year Reatta part that is hard to find and expensive. (The '91 Reatta used the Twilight Sentinel version of the switch, which was optional on the the '90-93 Riviera, and relocated the fog light switch to the center console.) In a pinch, maybe you could find a base non-Twilight Sentinel Riviera switch. But you still won't have fog lights.

SES light - easy to read and reset the codes using the built-in diagnostics. No scanner needed.

Perform the ABS test at: http://reatta.net/brakes/brakes_troubleshooting.html and report back.

Cig lighter - blown fuse in drivers side fuse box in center console. Look for a dime in the cig lighter hole.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

It's too late now that you bought it and survived your first solo test flight.

Try to warn people who think they want a Reatta that there is no know cure once the bug gets a grip on you.

Plenty of help here to solve all your listed problems.

Set up bookmarks in your web browser for Barney's and Ronnies sites too (your going to use em to death) and start looking for a FSM on eBay if you haven't already.

That's Tom's site (reatta.net) and where you need to register and download the complete parts list (93 P&A) and the complete '90 factory service manual (FSM). We'll be advising what pages to study and making reference to diagrams so you will need it.

I would suggest starting a seperate thread on headlights and brakes, headliner and sunroofs have been covered here before (think on Ronnie's site also)

How are you fixed for garage space and tools ? Can do a lot without the first but the second are essential to DIY. We put together a list of Reatta essentials some time ago so might look for that.

For now you have the ABS light on so first thing after downloading the FSM, study section 5E on the ABS and learn how to pull trouble codes. If the light won't flash that tells us something also.

Double M,

Welcome aboard. You have definitely come to the best source of DIY aid you will ever find for the Reatta. Good luck and keep smiling! By the way..like the color of your ride.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Trying to learn how to use the search function on this forum will prove helpful as well.

Most all of your problems have been covered before.

I find specifying specific words by using the + sign in front of each key word works wonders in narrowing down the field.

Sorry for my faux pas about your website Tom.:mad:

to start you may keep the headliner from flaping with push pins, I got some at a good parts store for $1.50. That will give you time & weather to do a perm fix. remember temps are needed to cure glues.

Guest Double M

Thanx all! I am ordering my headlight repair kit today! This is a low budget project, so it takes some time to save up to get things done.

This week, besides the headlight repair, I hope to give it a shot on figuring out the on board diagnostics, though the fan buttons?!

I'm turning over the brake issue to my mechanic and get his take. They work fine, pull a little, very little to the right, just the ABS light is on all the time and the parking brake doesnt seem to work.

Over the weekend, I pulled the wires to the Cigarette lighter and found they were good, but the lighter still didnt work. I could not get the lighter socket itself out, so I disconnected the wires from the plug and attached then to a new power socket. I gained access to this by accidentaly removing the coin tray! I dont smoke but need a power socket for my GPS. The whole kit and koboodle fits in the space under the console. The Garmin GPS fits almost perfectly in the ash tray compartment with the power cord snaked thru the hole near the ash tray. I intend in enarging the hole slightly to allow it ti fit even better. I will post pics asap.

I also pulled out the light and socket and am having a heck of time getting that back in. I may reroute the light someplace else. It comes on when I put headlights on.

You should open up the console properly. It is very easy and full instructions (and I think even photos) are at Ronnies site. But in a nutshell:

1.) Pull out the storage box under the arm rest. Pry from the rear first, then pry the front to release it.

2.) Unscrew the two Philips screws that are now exposed. Then separate the black top from the silver border by running your fingernail between them. Pry the rear (just in front of the two now-removed screws). Then pry the front starting in front of the shifter.

3.) Once the black top is off, one more screw under the ash tray, and two screws up near the stowage bin (or CD player) and the silver portion pulls right up.

You can then access the cigarette lighter wiring to your hearts content.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Need to think of the Brakes as two seperate systems. Red light is the boost (power brake) portion and yellow is the ABS. If the yellow light is on, the ABS is off. If the red light is off, you have power brakes.

Most common cause of ABS on all of the time is the ABS relay on the firewall.

If giving to a mech, make sure he/she has access to and understands section 5E in the FSM. BTW some of the codes listed may be wrong.

Guest Double M

Cool!

I may not need to remove the whole console, but when I do I'll refer to this.

I do not the lighter to work and my newly installed power socket is working fine so far to power my GPS.

I was able to get at it all thru the whole where the coin tray lives.

My next interior modification will be to run the ipod in to the storage compartment, but I have to figure out if its worth switching decks from one car to the other or just buy a new ipod controlling stereo.

The Brakes: Since I only have the manual on PDF at the moment, I will try to print that out and hopefully my mechanic can deal with it. Hopefully he wont have to.

Any thoughts on the parking brake? It goes down - BUT DOES NOT STAY THERE, it works the indicator light. Usually there is a clicking noise and it stays down when engaged, I am used to older designed cars, but maybe the Reatta is different????