Loose fan belt on 24 touring

DoubleG

I cannot keep my fan belt tight on my 24 touring! I tighten the fan pulley and the belt starts to squeal after about 2 to 5 miles of driving. I make it tighter and it does the same thing all over again. I'm worried the bolt will shear off if I tighten it too much. What is causing the pulley to slip? Or is the fan belt shot? Thanks for any help on this guys.

Double G.

Thanks 1930. Do you know if the belt should be as wide as the pulley? The one that's on it now is a modern belt and is a lot narrower. It has room to travel back and fourth across the pulley. Do you think maybe that has something to do with squealing? Thanks again.

Defanitely on that could be a big part of your problem, as Dave mentioned it should be as wide as the pulley, V -belts I have noticed are getting tougher to find but if you are presistant with Napa than you will most prob. be in luck.

I use a ribbed belt with the ribs down. This proably gives better grip than the other way due to the ribs flexing - no slippage. The size is 7PK920 (seven ribs x 920mm efective length. The width is very close to the original one inch flat belt.

Tony

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same issue with my 25. I'm using a modern belt with the ribs contacting the pulleys. I get it as tight as I dare and tighten the bejeezus out of the clamp bolt but it loosens up withing a few minutes of driving and squeals badly at elevated rpm (forcing short shifts). Would a leather belt be quieter? Has anyone come up with any improvements?

The original belt was 1"x 34-3/4". The fan pulley is 1-1/4" wide. The "drive pulley" is one inch wide. The original flat belt was of a red rubberized multi-layered cloth. The fan pulley has to be levered up with a 2 X 4 on the timing cover and bolt tightened very tight. There can be a few things that will lead to your belt squealing. Even the fan hub itself. A temporary fix can be made with a spray can of belt dressing sold at NAPA & other places. These original belts are getting impossible to find and very pricey when found. Leather can stretch BIG time, as some vendors sell replacement belts for early Ford "T"'s, and modern flat belts don't stretch AT ALL. I would think the a fore mentioned toothed belts would be the best bet if a good original isn't located.

The original belt was 1"x 34-3/4". The fan pulley is 1-1/4" wide. The "drive pulley" is one inch wide. The original flat belt was of a red rubberized multi-layered cloth. The fan pulley has to be levered up with a 2 X 4 on the timing cover and bolt tightened very tight. There can be a few things that will lead to your belt squealing. Even the fan hub itself. A temporary fix can be made with a spray can of belt dressing sold at NAPA & other places. These original belts are getting impossible to find and very pricey when found. Leather can stretch BIG time, as some vendors sell replacement belts for early Ford "T"'s, and modern flat belts don't stretch AT ALL. I would think the a fore mentioned toothed belts would be the best bet if a good original isn't located.

Hi I just patiently stitched up with nylon thread a nylon or "synthetic" belt into a new one a couple of years ago and it works fine and isn't too tight eather. cheers

Thanks guys. Maybe the belt dressing or synthetic belt are worth a try but I'm pretty sure the problem is the bolt/friction set up just isn't holding. The pulleys don't look excessively smooth. I suppose I could rough them up a bit though and maybe do the same on the fan pulley mount post.

I would bet either the bolt diameter and/or the pinch clamp is worn. When you have the bolt tight look at the seam and see if it is closed. You can probably spin the clamp by hand if it's as loose as you say. If so you could replace either part or take the clamp apart and file a little clearance in between the clamping area where the bolt clamps. You are working with 90 year old cast iron so don't over tighten the bolt. The original belt was a flat leather belt as has been stated, but you can use a V belt or a ribbed flat belt too. I've heard of people useing a piece of string in an emergancy. The belt should be loose enough to still be able to spin by hand. Remember you are dealing with bushings NOT bearings. Keep them lubricated.

Yep, bushings all greased up. I'll check the clamp clearance too. It is tight enough that I can't move it by hand but it doesn't take much for the belt to go from tight to loose since there is very little stretch in it. Maybe the clearance is a little sloppy between the mount post and arm clamp hole. I might try to get some brass shim stock in there...

Mike, DON'T roughen up the fan pulley drive surfaces. It will only lead to belt failure. Think back or remember seeing pictures of those really old drive pulleys in large shops--they were SMOOTH. Your problem is at the fan hub clamping system or the wrong type belt.

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

Mike

This may be a long shot, but have you checked the length of thread on the cap screw which secures the fan bracket to the mounting spigot. The screw may have stretched, preventing the clamp fully tightening on the spigot. Try another screw or put a few washers under the head of the old one to test this theory.

Tony