59 Invicta for sale on Ebay

Guest sintid58

That is Tom Liddy's car. He passed away last month after a long fight with kidney cancer. This is one of the most beautiful 59's I know of. I too hope it brings top dollar and goes to a good home (preferably here in the US so we can see it in person some day)

I brought it to Thrillers attention as I think it would look good next to his 61 Invicta convertible :).

Wow, I would say it brought top dollar. Two ticks shy of $30,000!

Pete Phillips

Pete, I agree that the car performed spectacularly on Ebay. I have asked Rollie Toenges to let me know the car's destination when the transaction has been completed.

This is the second strong sale for a closed '59 Buick within the last two weeks. The transaction price (U.S Seller and U.S. Buyer) for a fine 1959 Electra 225 4-door hardtop was also in the $30,000 range.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Brian

That little 1959 gathering you put on last year in Colorado has really put the 1959 Buicks in a good spotlight. That, along with the Bugle articles on the 1959 Buicks, have people excited about owning one. I think the great publicity has increased their values a lot.

Guest 60electra225

Apparently the car is going to a Florida collector, so it will remain in the US, but probably not see the light of day too much, which is a pity.

$30,000 is a surprising number. I think most of us are a little surprised. A very nice car, but the market has a lot of nice cars out there.

It goes to show what a well presented honest ebay auction can still do to move a car.

Now, the 59's are the new 58's. That is to say, collectors used to grab 58 Limiteds because of their ode to excess of what the 50's represent, but the 58's are a bit passe on the "general" collector crowd and suffered from a little over exposure.

I wonder if collectors are piggy backing on the popularity of the 59 Cadillacs and Chrysler 300's? The wild styling is the key. Why collect boring, we drive boring every day in our modern cars.

A beautiful car indeed! Being more of a Chevrolet guy, having only gotten into the Buick scene less than a year ago, I'm still surprised at the prices some of the Buicks bring... they are a real bargain! $30k would be a starting point for a '59 Impala Sport Coupe in that condition with those options. Buick guys have it good, nice cars are still "cheap"!

A beautiful car indeed! Being more of a Chevrolet guy, having only gotten into the Buick scene less than a year ago, I'm still surprised at the prices some of the Buicks bring... they are a real bargain! $30k would be a starting point for a '59 Impala Sport Coupe in that condition with those options. Buick guys have it good, nice cars are still "cheap"!

That may be to an extent. The problem is that only 1/4 million or less were produced each year, compared with 2-3 million fords or chevys. Parts are much more difficult to come by....but that's half the fun!

$30,000 is a surprising number. I think most of us are a little surprised. A very nice car, but the market has a lot of nice cars out there.

It goes to show what a well presented honest ebay auction can still do to move a car.

Now, the 59's are the new 58's. That is to say, collectors used to grab 58 Limiteds because of their ode to excess of what the 50's represent, but the 58's are a bit passe on the "general" collector crowd and suffered from a little over exposure.

I wonder if collectors are piggy backing on the popularity of the 59 Cadillacs and Chrysler 300's? The wild styling is the key. Why collect boring, we drive boring every day in our modern cars.

I do like the 59 Buicks, but wouldn't trade my 58 Roadmaster coupe for nothing. All original, including Flight Pitch dynaflow. If I were to get a 59, it would have to be an Electra 225 with 3T dynaflow. Those sloping headlights have never been duplicated as far as I know.

Chrysler put some out....I specifically remember the newports, but they certainly weren't as attractive and seemed to be slanted at a higher angle.

1962 Mopars were canted...Chryslers for sure. I remember a fellow who had a number of one of the smaller models.

62 dodge and 63 dodge , a slightly different treatment.

I'm not entirely sure these were quad headlights but I think I see separate parking lights..

And remember the 58 Lincoln Continental Mark III had the canted headlights a year before.

I think car designers were spying on each other's designs. to create so many similar design features between car makes in same or next years of production.

post-37461-143138284491_thumb.jpg

post-37461-143138284493_thumb.jpg

Edited by ewing (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke today with another Florida collector who just purchased the Bryan Burns '59 Electra 225 4-door hardtop from California. He personally knows the individual who acquired the Liddys' '59 Invicta, and commented that it is going into an incredible private collection that includes some other remarkable Buicks. Among the other Buicks he specifically mentioned were a red/black '56 Roadmaster 4-door Riviera, yellow '58 Roadmaster 75 convertible, and bucket seat '62 Electra 225 2-door hardtop -- as well as several Riviera GS cars.

Sounds like Tom and Sally's Invicta, while unlikely to be driven much, will be carefully maintained and displayed in a first-rate collection that fills four warehouses.