Do you buy suspension at a swap meet

Dan Marx

I have a chance to buy 1000 pieces of MOOG suspension in MI. Most are for cars in the late 50's to 70's. Ball joints and tie rod ends. Maybe an idler arm or drag link in the mix. I have not seem many vendors selling suspension at a swap meet. I have all the books, but curios of what the list lurkers think of buying suspension pieces at a swap meet when you can buy complete sets from Kanter and others. The price per box is reasonable. Thanks. Dan

I do because it is the only way to get the real deal, Moog, TRW, and NOS. I know my numbers and can quickly scan boxes of suspension parts. Kanter and the other catalog houses sell the reproduction stuff in the white boxes.

I've been in contact with some of the manufacturers of this white box stuff at the big trade shows from India and China, offering to manufacture this stuff for me to resell based on the Moog Part#s.

In all fairness, I don't know how this stuff holds up compared to the real deal, but I'd rather not take a chance. I do buy suspension at swap meets for that reason.

IF you have the books to confirm what the parts fit it would be a worthwhile purchase. However that stuff is heavy and you need a space to store it in a proper organized way. eBay and FLAT RATE postage boxes would make it a money maker I would think. I just don't know what the market is for late model stuff.

Whenever a large lot of old stock is purchased, assuming it hasn't already been cherry-picked there will be some hot items, some not quite so much in demand, and possibly quite a bit that will be around for a long time. After all, for reasons unknown it didn't sell back when. Parts for popular cars that have survived in large numbers would be snapped up by buyers, while ones for cars that no one wants to restore will just sit and gather dust. Consider trying to buy the cream of the lot. Make your offer accordingly. If you must take it all, after the good stuff is gone, You could always sell off the 'residue" as a lot for a cheap price. Seems there is always a buyer if the price is right.