Early 6 Cylinder Cars

Dave B.

As you can see from my post count, I'm a lurker! However, I've got a question that I've been trying to research on the Web without much luck.

What 6-cylinder cars were available before 1908-1909? I'm primarily interested in U.S. built vehicles, but if any of the foreign makes were building 'production' sixes back then, I wouldn't mind knowing about those, too.

The only one I've come up with is Marmon, and those were apparently V-6s, but I haven't found any hard data on when the earliest ones were produced.

Sorry that this is such a pie-in-the-sky question, but it's really been bugging me!

Thanks in advance!

Dave B.

Guest Bill K.

According to Anthony Harding's Car Facts & Feats book, the very first six-cylinder in-line car was the Spyker (Holland) of 1903, but it was a racing car and only a couple were made. The first production six-cylinder car was the Napier of England, and it went on sale in early 1904. I haven't found anything U.S.-specific yet, but am looking.

Dave...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

Please see the procedure to research "your" AACA Library holdings of original & factual automotive materials of which I just posted in Bill K's "Military Vehicles" thread.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Also looks like Pierce made a six at least as early as 1908.

Having this list of makes both narrows the scope of my search, and also gives me new areas to look into (I would have never guessed that Ford made a production six that early!)

Thanks again for the help!!

Dave B.

The English Standard Co made a 6 cylinder of about 4 litres back then. I had an engine for yeaers which originally powered an emergency generater in the Natioal Theatre when it used to be a picture theatre very many decades ago. It went to someone who is probably able to put together an authentic car . Lancia built the Di Alpha 6 in 1908, with an eye to the American market. The first RR Silver Ghosts were 1907, but there was a "30hp"6 before that. (one still exists in UK, ex South Australia). Ford made not only the big K with the funny crankshaft configuration, but also, probably only as prototype, the J which was closely derived from the N but with 6 cylinders. I saw this before restoration, and helped the owner with some aspects. This car was discussed in controversy on a different forum several years ago by people without firsthand knowledge of it: I can assure you that is genuine Ford as it still is without trickery. I posted two current photos of it several days ago on the Photo Forum here, to a thread quaintly labelled "Have At It'. Pierce was pretty early with a six, but I cannot lay hand on the reference I need. And don't forget Matheson, Lozier, and Chadwick.

Pierce Great Arrow had a six in 1907, Stearns had one in 1908, Kissel 1907. American Napier may be the earliest with the Model L 30HP listed as a 1904-07 production item. Ticher 1908, Thomas 1908, Oldsmobile 1908, and more if you have the time to go page by page in The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942

Guest cben09

Early 6,,,1905 [French] Clement Bayard,,enterd in early Vanderbilt race by son of factory owner,,another early Clement was Henry Wing jr car at Peterborough Nh meet,1951,,Panhard built a gigantic 6 cyl in early 1905,,the car that should have taken Rolls place,,,,but I think it was too expensive,,,haha,,Herbert Buffum made a 12 cyl in 1907 and I think Franklin made a straight 8 around 04 or 05 and enterd it in the Vanderbilt,,,,Now remember these were all before reliable magneto ignition,, The Great Arrow at the Princeton Museum was very early too,,,a 65 hp car bore/stroke,,,5x5,5",,and someone forgot the windshield when it got moved,,,That American Napier,,,the BIG one,,that belonged to part of the family that was responsible for standardizing screw threads,,,Wentworth and Eickson,,of Swampscott I think,,,These were the cars i MISSEd back in high school days,,,,,Memories,,The chase goes on,,,,,Ben

). Ford made not only the big K with the funny crankshaft configuration, but also, probably only as prototype, the J which was closely derived from the N but with 6 cylinders. I saw this before restoration, and helped the owner with some aspects. This car was discussed in controversy on a different forum several years ago by people without firsthand knowledge of it: I can assure you that is genuine Ford as it still is without trickery. I posted two current photos of it several days ago on the Photo Forum here, to a thread quaintly labelled "Have At It'. Pierce was

I had never heard of a Model "J" Ford as described in Ivan Saxton's post, you learn something every day. I would love to see that picture,which I missed, or any other information, Ivan.