When were Emergency flashers mandated?

In the early days of 4-ways, it was illegal in Colorado to use them if you were moving. It was on the chauffeur license test. I always blamed the PA. turnpike for starting the slow moving,  or “I’m just scared”  4-way flashing phenomenon.

7 hours ago, Jubilee said:

In the early days of 4-ways, it was illegal in Colorado to use them if you were moving. It was on the chauffeur license test. I always blamed the PA. turnpike for starting the slow moving,  or “I’m just scared”  4-way flashing phenomenon.

I have seen and behind cars driving down the freeway with the 4 ways on. The problem is some cars still use the same light filament as the brake lights.

You northerners have no idea what a Florida frog strangler is like, when you cannot see over 50 feet and proceeding at 20 mph trying to find a place without guard rails to pull over you really want maximum visibility to the idiiot going 60.

On 6/10/2016 at 11:34 PM, padgett said:

Every time I drive to south Florida in the wet season there is a frog strangler or two & traffic goes to 20 from 70+. As mentioned the human eye sees a flashing light before a steady one.

My GM cars of the last millennia have it on the passenger side of the steering column, my Chryslers from this have it in the center of the dash (so a passenger can reach it ?)

In fact, hazard lights worsen the danger of driving in a downpour. Driving with your hazard lights on is also illiegal in Florida — and in most states —punishable by a $129 fine. The only time you can use them when in motion is if the vehicle is in a funeral procession.

14 hours ago, John348 said:

I do know that they were available as a factory authorized in as early as 1959 in Chevrolet's both passenger and truck. I have them in my 60 Impala as well. 

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

John, since Chevy offered it in 59 do you thing this would be a GM wide option? I have a extensive ( and thought complete ) option catalogue for the 59 Pontiac and I cannot find that option. Thoughts?

On 8/27/2019 at 10:53 AM, Pfeil said:

John, since Chevy offered it in 59 do you thing this would be a GM wide option? I have a extensive ( and thought complete ) option catalogue for the 59 Pontiac and I cannot find that option. Thoughts?

I just checked and did NOT find any GM literature that the the Hazard Flasher was available in 1959 in Chevrolet's, so I would presume the same for Pontiac. Many of these type accessories were offered in the Chevrolets truck line that spilled over to the passenger cars. You got me thinking now, it might have been a late 1959 addition. Many dealers would cut corners and save a few dollars back then and install a non-GM accessory instead of the factory authorized part, like Motorola radios is a great example. I had seen many cars back in my junk yard picking days that had 'FlareStat' flashers installed.