Oxnard Montalvo

When were Emergency flashers mandated?

I've had two un-restored pick-ups from Pennsylvania with factory turn-signals that also were equipped with Flare-Stat emergency flashers: an under-dash unit with a tranparent red pull-out knob that flashed with the four-ways. It used the regular turn-signal / stop lights.

These were on both my '64 Chevy C-10 short-step (absolutely stock), and my '61 Willys 6-266 4WD pick-up. Also on my '55 Chevy first-series model 4400 dump-truck. Don't know if this was special order, or a PennDOT requirement for trucks in the early 1960's...

I have NOT seen a pre-1966 Pennsylvania passenger car with the under-dash Flare-Stat, and that includes cars put-out to pasture and languishing in junk-yards.

I remember the Fords having the flasher switch inside the glove box, but can't remember what year; my Dad's '65 Falcon did NOT have four-ways.

De Soto Frank

My 64 Thunderbird has them, but it was an option on them. I've never seen them on 64 Ford Galaxies or anything though. Probably just an option on Lincolns and upper end models in 64.

Option under dash on 66 Corvair. In steering column of 67 Camaro.

None of the several 1966 Olds Toronados I have owned OR my 1966 Pontiac Bonneville had them factory. It must have still been an option, even for these higher end vehicles.

I have added the FlareStat Emergency Flashers and yes, they do plug right into the factory wiring harness.

post-65664-143138250265_thumb.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2010 at 0:28 PM, Oxnard Montalvo said:

Does anyone (Dave@Moon?) know exactly when the Feds required the automobile manufacturers to include emergency flashers as standard equipment?

The only information I've been able to find gives a February 1966 date to the mandate, but I can't figure out if that was an immediate order or if the government gave the manufacturers some time to implement the order.

Thanks.

MC forever.

In my 67 Skylark there were standard. They were an accessory in my 66 Skylark. Les

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2010 at 4:37 PM, Skyking said:

They were an option on my '66 Skylark. I think they were mandatory in 1968 along with side marker lights.

I remember reading about this was a federal requirement due for 1968 production. I think it was in the 1968 Chevrolet owners manual (I know I have one somewhere around here and I will try to find it)  Many of the manufacturers might have included these updates earlier, as to incorporate them into regular production knowing that the change was coming and it could already be incorporated into engineering for the upcoming model years. There was also a requirement that some items had to be offered as an option by certain years prior. Seat belts are an example I remember reading about that were offered as standard equipment (1964-1965) but could be deleted for a credit (I believe it was $15 on Chevrolets). I have come across a few dealer invoices where I had seen "Seat belt delete CREDIT" which raised this question a few years ago

Getting back to the four way's I agree with skyking it tied into the 1968 federal mandate, also shoulder restraints were part of that. 1968 was a huge year for highway safety.

Now only if they can deactivate the cell phone texting feature when the vehicle is in operation......... as a federal safety mandate

FYI: I don't know about 1958 and earlier, but in 1959 the fourway's were offered as a dealer installed option in 1959

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

In 1966 Cadillac offered them as an option, not standard. 1967 They became standard equip. I just installed a GM NOS 4-way on mine.

Looks like SAE came out with the standards in 1966 (J910). Having trouble finding free copies of federal code to see when it was implemented, but I'd be shocked to see it before 1967. Several folks noted earlier versions had switches in various locations, while SAE designated locations, so if a '66 doesn't meant the standard established in '66 then we can assume it would have to be later by law.

On 7/9/2010 at 11:37 PM, mrspeedyt said:

my '67 t-bird has 4ways (broken) by the turn signal switch (broken).... right by the (broken) shift lever....

......just above the non-working power window switches. :lol:

• Like 1

I have owned a 66 Mustang, 66 Falcon and a 66 Ranchero, all had 4-way switch in glovebox. Always thought it was in a pretty inconvenient spot if you had a real emergency. Sounds like Ford was one of the leaders on this one.

35 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

......just above the non-working power window switches. :lol:

Oh lord does that crack bring back memories of my Uncle Gene's 68 Landau Sedan...

Window would quit, he'd have the dealer repair it. Sometimes he'd get home before it quit working again. He bought that car 2 yrs old and always swore it had been struck by lightning, as many electrical issues as it had. But he had wanted a T-Bird since 1955, and when he finally no longer needed the practicality of a station wagon as a primary car, he bought that 68 and after three years swore off Thunderbirds, though he did like the 77 I had a lot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Frantz said:

Looks like SAE came out with the standards in 1966 (J910). Having trouble finding free copies of federal code to see when it was implemented, but I'd be shocked to see it before 1967. Several folks noted earlier versions had switches in various locations, while SAE designated locations, so if a '66 doesn't meant the standard established in '66 then we can assume it would have to be later by law.

1966 would be the correct year when it was an option on all vehicles, and standard from 1967, on.    It was definitely an SAE-mandated thing, as many import cars had the actual number moulded, or etched right into the switch itself; usually on the side.

True some cars had it as optional before that, such as 1960 Imperials, but it was only commercial vehicles, which were mainly trucks that had them. 

Craig

I have a 66 Chevy impala without them and 67 Chevy Camaro with them on the steering column.

Tom Muth

Was the federal mandate also dictating a standard location? Seems to be that the steering column mount became universal around 1968

I always figured that mounting them on the column was because they needed to be near the turn signal switch.

I remember the Fords in the glove box too.

True for US cars, but a lot of foreign cars have the switch dead-center on the dash, usually near the top.

Craig

Mandated about 40 years ago. That could very well be the last time I turned any on except for a mandated inspection.

Can anyone remember the last time they NEEDED to use them?

Bernie

Bernie, I use my 4-ways frequently on the vehicles that have them, for getting other drivers' attention, including..

* when backing into my driveway on a fairly busy street (headlights on too)

* when towing whenever the rig is stopped on the road/street other than in a regular parking space.

* on a highway, when there's a rapid slowdown of traffic--under the belief that the flashing lights get more attention than just stoplights from daydreaming drivers behind me

* (occasionally on a highway) to ward off tailgaters; they usually get the message

* on a busy street, if I'm going to be loading a truck especially on the street side

* and probably 50 more.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Mandated about 40 years ago. That could very well be the last time I turned any on except for a mandated inspection.

Bernie

Last week driving home form Williamsport in a driving rainstorm

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Bernie

This week, a fire truck was trying to get through traffic. Flipped on the emergency's and pulled over.

The time I was happiest to have 4-way flashers was in July 2010, towing a 24' enclosed car trailer eastbound at I-80's highest point, 40 miles west of Cheyenne, when we experienced a summer hail squall.  CB radio said that there was a spun-out big rig and several 4-wheelers in the median and in the ditch near an exit two miles ahead.  So I dropped to 20-25 with the flashers going, even though that part of the road was still dry and clear.  A big rig and I occupied both eastbound lanes doing the same thing.  Sure enough, there was a quarter-mile patch of I-80 wet, with an inch of hail on the grass, and the aforementioned vehicles spun out.  Without those flashers, some of those 4-wheelers behind us which had been doing 80 would have created a huge pile-up.

Every time I drive to south Florida in the wet season there is a frog strangler or two & traffic goes to 20 from 70+. As mentioned the human eye sees a flashing light before a steady one.

My GM cars of the last millennia have it on the passenger side of the steering column, my Chryslers from this have it in the center of the dash (so a passenger can reach it ?)

12 hours ago, padgett said:

Every time I drive to south Florida in the wet season there is a frog strangler .......

Mr. P

you got me again, please tell me what is a frog strangler?

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:15 AM, John348 said:

Was the federal mandate also dictating a standard location? Seems to be that the steering column mount became universal around 1968

No John.

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Mr. P

you got me again, please tell me what is a frog strangler?

Word play John, you know the drill. A ask me moment.