1949 Olds ?

Restorer32

Was a manual trans available for the Series 88 V-8 in 1949? If so, would it be the same trans as used in the Series 76 6 cylinder? If not, is a manual trans (+ bell housing, flywheel etc) for an 88 Series more than usually difficult to find? Thanks!

They certainly were available. I have seen Oldsmobile V8s up to 1957 with 3 speed manual trans. Don't know if it is the same as the 6 cylinder cars, I believe the V8s used the same trans as the Cad-LaSalle used up to 1950. Warner T85 or T86?

I saw them in junkyards but this was many, many years ago. You should still be able to find one. I would think a significant percentage of 49s had manual trans, the percentage shrinking as the 50s wore on.

Your best luck would be to find one in a junkyard so you can get trans, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch pedal and linkage, steering column, gearshift mechanism etc.

Or, even better, buy a car that has a manual trans to begin with.

Guest Bob Call

The 49 - 59 Olds and 41 - 54 Cadillac clutch and trans assemblies were similar. The Olds has the clutch housing (bellhousing) cast into the block, similar to 51 - 53 Chrysler V8s. The Olds and Cads use the same clutch assembly. The driven plate my differ on various years due to different splines on the trans mainshaft. The throwout bearing and the stamped steel sleeve on which it rides are the same. The 57 - 59 Olds engines are different than the prior V8s as they have the usual separate bellhousing and may have a different bolt pattern on the trans mount. The standard clutches are 10.5 inch Long type and the heavy duty are 11 inch Long type. In my Hollander the 76 series clutch and trans are different. I'm guessing they were not as heavy duty as the 88 98 series. If you don't have an Olds or Cad trans, you best avenue if you want a manual is to use a modern trans and go to someone like Wilcap for an adapter to your Olds engine. As for the flywheel, finding a NOS would probably be very difficult but you might find a used one. Some mid 50s GMC trucks used the Olds V8 (careful, they also used Pontiac and Buick) so that might be a source for a used flywheel and throwout sleeve. There are a number of hot rod suppliers that have new flywheels and clutches.

Guest Bob Call

Hot rodders pretty well used up all of the junkyard Cad-Lasalle manual trans in the 50s and 60s. If you can find one they are very expensive.

Olds V-8 DID NOT get a stick trans until 1950....Six cylinder DID have a stick available. The 50-only trans for the V8 is based on the Cad-LaSalle, but modified for Olds use with a very short tailshaft and housing. Olds did not have a trans that would hold up to the 303 torque, and had to resort to using Cadillac parts for 1950. So, the word rare applies, as the 50 V8 trans, bellhousing are specific to the 50 Olds, and no other GM.

For 51, Olds finally made their own stick trans which was called a Selector type. The 51 up uses a totally different bellhousing as well.

A stick setup will fit the 49 if you get all the matching pieces; meaning the correct bell, TOB snout, etc. These parts need to be matched for either the 50 only or the 51 and newer.

It is very difficult to piece a setup together, as even the driveshaft yoke differs from the 50 to the 51 up. However, the clutch and flywheel are the same.

I should have pics somewhere if you need them.

Spoke to the folks at Ross Racing Engines. Turns our Mr Ross is an Olds aficionado and very familiar with the '49 setup and is in fact restoring a '49 Coupe for himself. They make new flywheels and cast new bell housings and assure me they can supply everything necessary to do the deed. This will be a restoration for show so I may have to resist Ross's attempts to sell me speed equipment for the engine. We will be restoring one of the Woodys for a client from Europe. He wants the manual, fearing that finding anyone to repair a HydraMatic in France might be difficult if problems ever arise. Thanks everyone for the help!

Good lord. We're talking about the country that made Citroens, and he's worried about finding someone to fix a HydraMatic?

In all honesty I expect he'd do better finding parts for an early Hydro than an early Olds stick, as HydraMatic was much more common. Oldsmobile was kinda proud of their HydraMatic and pushed it.

RRE can also modify a modern Turbo HydraMatic for use with the early Rocket, and I'm considering having that done for the blue Starfire. DK if that would be an option for your French client.

• 2 weeks later...
They certainly were available. I have seen Oldsmobile V8s up to 1957 with 3 speed manual trans.
They certainly were available. I have seen Oldsmobile V8s up to 1957 with 3 speed manual trans.

I can tell you that back in the day I owned a 1960 Olds Super 88 with a factory 3 speed manual tranny.

In fact, the car was purchased from an Olds dealership that was subsequently purchased by AACA's own Steve Moskowitz. I do not know how long after '60 the manual transmission remained an available option on the full-sized Olds?

If the owner is not a purist you could put in a T5 5 speed. Bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch are all available new from aftermarket suppliers.

You need to get one out of a van or pickup. The Camaro and Mustangs have the gearshift too far back.

This would make a great match for an Olds V8 and would allow high speed cruising down those long straight Routes Nationale.

Guest Bob Call

If this person is a restoration purist, then why would they want a manual transmission in a model that did not offer a manual transmission? The GM Hydramatic was one of the most widely used automatics. There should be capable service technicians in France.

Glad to hear it. Thought about it a little later- contemporary Rolls Royce used HydraMatic, and I think Rolls would have been common enough in France that there would be mechaniques versed in how to fix them.

Of course, it's probably the same there as here- all the HydraMatic guys are dead or retired. But parts and a service manual should enable any competent mechanic to repair one. As said- a mechanic that can fix a tsk-ing Citroen should have no problems with a HydraMatic.

• 8 months later...

I had a 50 olds way back when. It had a LaSalle trans when I got it, a side shifter with an early floor shift conversion, worked like ****. Swapped the trans for a 37 Buick Roadmaster floor shifter. It worked great and bolted right on. The current gears in the 50s still fit in the old '37 box.

We offered that option as well as providing him with 2 rebuilt Hydras, one in the car and one for a spare but he still prefers manual.

French people are strange...They would like to drive a US car with a large V8 engine, but should be economical...They even convert their cars to LPG.

By the way, I know a very talented young man in France repairing all kind of transmissions; early Hydramatics are no problem for him!

French people are strange...They would like to drive a US car with a large V8 engine, but should be economical...They even convert their cars to LPG.

By the way, I know a very talented young man in France repairing all kind of transmissions; early Hydramatics are no problem for him!

They aren't the only ones. When I read magazines from the fifties and sixties it is common to read complaints of poor mileage, and demands for better economy from buyers of V8 cars. One man admitted feeling a little ashamed of himself for complaining about the mileage of his 1960 Mercury, after buying one of the heaviest most powerful cars on the market.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)