1924 Buick Convertible For Sale

Guest superior187

Guest superior187

I am the proud owner of a 1924 Buick Convertible in MINT condition... can someone assist me in determining a value of this vehicle without the need for obtaining an appraisal? :D

With all due respect. as you indicate in the other posting an indicated value of $100,000, and a purchase price about half that, in my opinion, you need a professional apprasial.

You might try posting some photos, including interior, engine, undercarriage and you may get some input here.

John

The problem here is that no one knows what you really have as they did not make a convertible in 1924. We are not sure if you have a roadster or a touring car but either way it is a desireable car especially since it is in "mint" condition.

I was at a sale this past weekend where a 24 Buick touring was sold and it brought a sold price over 20K despite it needed a lot of work.

Slight correction Steve.... The '24 Buick Touring brought $18,000.00, but you're correct that it needed a lot of work. It was the one you wanted that sold for over $20,000.00. :)

Superior187, I hope you can post some pictures of your '24 Buick on here as suggested, as I for one would enjoy seeing it. I'm sure somebody on here can help you with a honest price range, but I agree that you should hire a professional apprasier.

Steve or Rick, can you tell me what model 24 Buick was sold? I am curious as that is a nice price for one that needs work. I had a 24-45 and it's a great car but I sold it when I got a 25-45 with 9,200 miles on it. I like to keep track of what they sell for.

thanks,

bubba

It was a model 45. Complete car with a very old re-paint, but done correctly in black with gold stripes. The starter generator wasn't working, but I was told they had it running before the auction for a short time. The only concerns I had with it, was that the engine had a few items different than on my 24-45. If the new owner can perform his own work, he might do well with the car for what he paid. (Maybe?)

Rick , thanks for the quick response. Just curious as to what were the few things that were different on the engine? Is your car restored? The car in question on this thread would have to be a 55 or 49 to bring higher dollar figures but I would bet that it's a 45 or better yet a 35.

bubba

Bubba,

One of the items, was that it had a motor oil levelling check petcock on the right side of the motor. Never seen that before on a '24. Yet, the oil dipstick and fill tube were on the left like should be. Another item was that the pushrod side covers had a horizonal slotted vent across the top of the covers. Both items looked factory. Have you seen these before? There was another item that caught my eye there, but I'm forgetting what it was right now.

My '24 was restored some 35 years ago. I'll use the word restored lightly, as it was painted in a model 55 paint scheme unlike the all black as it should be. Not counting the cosmetic changes, it's correct otherwise. We just have it to drive and have fun.

Rick, are you talking about the oil drain petcock with the rod going up the side of the engine that lets you drain the oil without going under the car? This is normal on a 24 but gone in 25

The vent openings in the side covers, that I have never seen.

Most of the pre Duco laquer cars got repainted because the brushed on paint job didn't last too long. My car is an early 1925 painted in the 1924 black and was never repainted. The body has faded while the hood, aprons and fenders were done in enamel and look great which gives a two tone effect.

The only 24-45 that I saw sell for a lot of money was one on Ebay that was restored all wrong and painted candy apple red with black fenders. It looked great but was a compilation of a few years parts. My favorite thing on this car was the 1929 Buick dash light cover. Somebody who didn't know any better bid it up to just over $40,000.

bubba

Bubba, I owe you a thanks because you taught me something today. After reading your last reply, I thought I better pull out my '24 Buick books and take a look. Sure enough, they all show the oil drain rod in every picture. Heck, I must have a newer oil pan on mine then? And pay no mind to my calling it a levelling check rod, because I'm working on something right now that has one and I guess I was thinking that is what it was when I saw it on that Buick. Another funny thing, in most every engine picture of the right side, the books also show the vents in the side covers. So who knows what's up with that? The other week on this forum I was told I had the wrong tail pipe, as mine goes out the back and should go out the side in front of the left rear tire. Looks like I need to start studying these books more and also have a talk with my good ol' buddy that sold me this car. The way my luck is going, under the Buick emblems, it might say Oldsmobile! (That was for you Steve) :D

And Steve, the distracting was intensional as always! ;)

Bubba,

Thanks for the offer of sending pictures of your '25 and looking forward to seeing them. E-mail address is rahoover1@verizon.net

Doug,

That had to be the first time I saw our old Purple antique plates being auctioned off to be re-used. Amazing the prices some of them brought and I can't help but wonder why the citizens of PA don't like the new "Oldsmobile" plate we're now being forced to use. ;)

Hey fellows-- What were the Pa. purple plates bringing? There was a thread a while back about how difficult they were to find, to add to a collection. Just wondering, I don't have any, but if I run across one I would put it in someones collection. Thanks --Bob

• 5 months later...
Guest tom pre

hi rick.i think im the guy that bought that 24. tom in eville. yes spent 18000 & another 4-5 thousand. i try to do most of my work but i aint that bright. should be able to start her in 2 more weeks. thanks for the tires & wheels on the t. lots of work but it keeps me out of the bars. i appreciate your help. tom

Hey Tom,

You're cutting yourself too short. After meeting you, I now know the Buick went to the right guy. Does my heart good to see somebody wanting to learn and do most of his own work like you are. That's what it's all about! I can't wait to see your car back on the road again. Please keep me posted.

I was looking for you to stop by on Saturday at the show. I was amazed how many people stopped and said they were in the middle of restoring their '24 and '25 Buick touring's. Maybe some day we'll have a group of them show up at Hershey. That would be great!