65 Riviera Package Tray Trim - Need Pics

Ron Luchene

I am working on the installation of the rear package tray and surrounding trim and am having a hard time getting the trim to fit properly. Before I begin forcing anything into place I thought it would be helpful to see some close up pics of the trim where it meets the sail panels and then the piece between the seat and rear door panel. I know the back seat will cover the view of most of the side piece but I would like to insure these are spaced correctly before screwing anything in place. Can anyone provide a few close up pictures of this area especially between the seat and side panel. It will likely be easier to see the detail on a light colored interior. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks - Ron

I know that Clark's is made from Fiberglass and will last the life of the car. Without having the OPG catalog to look at, I would imagine that for the price difference OPG's is probably the pressed cardboard as were the originals.

Clark's is also padded and covered in the correct vinyl when you receive it. You might want to check with your upholsterer before putting to much emphasis on the price alone.

Sorry Ron, I can't help you with your original question. Hopefully someone will chime in soon and answer it for you.

Ed

The only down side I can see to the Clarks piece if you have a rear defroster it won't work without modification. It's making me debate on buying one honestly. If I could find a place that would do OEM quality grid defrosters I'd happily ditch the blower based unit.

I can see if I have any pictures but my trim is out right now and the package tray is badly warped.

Talk to the after market guy at one of your local showrooms. They might have a line on an installer somewhere. The kits you can install yourself aren't that good, and it takes practice to get them on so they look half way decent, let alone work. BUT, there is (was) a company out of Connecticut that was training the aftermarket guys how to install grids that looked OEM. Each side piece and each line of the grid were installed indivually - custome fit to your car. They even had an OE looking switch to go with it. You won't be able to do it on your own, the cost of the application equipment would be cost prohibitive.

• 2 months later...
OK Ron: I noticed that in the Original Parts Group Catalog the package tray is listed for about $50. Clarks has it for $300. Quite a difference.

Anybody want to comment on this? Mitch

I know that Clark's price is $328.00. It's fiberglass and covered with vinyl. It also comes with padding under the tray.

Although the Original Parts Group is made of cardboard similar to the factory, you can still cover in vinyl and it also comes with padding as an option. Total price with padding, without vinyl, about $70.00. Covering in vinyl cannot be that expensive.

Therefore, since both units would be vinyl covered, what would be the justification to pay the much higher price? Durability, sure with the Clark's unit, but how long would the factory unit last, five, ten years?

Thoughts.............

Thank you,

Marty

I know that Clark's price is $328.00. It's fiberglass and covered with vinyl. It also comes with padding under the tray.

Although the Original Parts Group is made of cardboard similar to the factory, you can still cover in vinyl and it also comes with padding as an option. Total price with padding, without vinyl, about $70.00. Covering in vinyl cannot be that expensive.

Therefore, since both units would be vinyl covered, what would be the justification to pay the much higher price? Durability, sure with the Clark's unit, but how long would the factory unit last, five, ten years?

Thoughts.............

Thank you,

Marty

IMO there is no justification.

I had a nice original package tray which I had covered in vinyl. I don't know the cost; however, the total price for my interior install including putting on a vinyl top was about $2100. This price included labor only for rebuilding the seat, seat cover install, covering the armrest bases, installing the carpet, redoing the door panels with new wood (excludes wood cost), fuzzies (excludes fuzzy cost), headliner/visor install, sill plate install.

OK Riviera People: I got my 65 Saddle standard done for $1000. This included a headliner with visors, covering the package tray (which wasn't that bad in the first place) installing the Clark's seat cover kit with Clark's foam, rear center armrest, front door armrests, full carpet kit with door panel carpet and kick panels.

It's not perfect but it looks great and clearly looks o e m rather than aftermarket. I guess I could have spent much more and it would have been better, but maybe I''ll save that for the next Riv I do. In the meantime it looks nice and the family isn't trippin' by riding in car with a crunchy, roto-tilled, smelly interior!

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Someone on this forum has bought an OPGI package tray. Here's that thread. You'll be glad to spend the extra money and buy one from Clark's according to that guy. According to him, it's nothing but a flat piece of cardboard.

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/opgi-314325.html

Here's another one.

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/opgi-package-tray-315956.html

Look in the classified section of your Riview. There's a guy in Las Vegas who builds fiberglass ones - custom ordered. You want a hole for a defogger, you got it. You want holes for 6x9 speakers, you got it. You buy the base fiberglass tray and have your upholstery guy recover it.

He "claims" that Clarks got one of his and made their mold from it. Just what he told me on the phone.

Are you going to do it right or are you going to do it cheap? There's no correlatioin.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

i bought an opg -the earlier guy is right-its flat-and towards back glass its creased to make a 90 degree bend not curved.i gave mine away.went with the fiberglass one ed mentioned-it was nice for vinyl cover but i wanted to paint mine so i beefed it up on back with more fiberglass-bondod top painted interior color and clearcoat-looks great.t.nugent roa 12969.

OK Riviera People: I'm the guy who got suckered in with that BOGUS package tray from the opgi. I am a cheep *&^$%@#$%%^ so for me to spend $300+++ forget it! I would think that someone could re-pop one for reasonable. I'll assume that if there were a nice product out there for about a hundred bucks it would sell like hot cakes. Remember, there's shipping costs, covering, insulation and defroster issues on top of that.

Oh, I find it ironic that cherry rear speaker grilles seem to grow on trees. Mitch

Guest REX STALLION
What Im going to do is buy the package tray from OPGI then laminate over with fiberglass, make it alot stronger.

Save your money,learn from my mistake. OPGI`s is not a good product!:eek: