My first "Old" car

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

Greetings fellow members. I recently purchased a 1937 Pontiac 4-door sedan off of Ebay, and am presently trying to find a way to bring my baby home (see shipping/transport/trailer section). I have already bought some things for the car, as well as the service manual. I believe I got a pretty good deal, but was interested in what the members here think of it. I have included the Ebay link, so you can see the listing (photos included) as well as the price.

I would appreciate hearing from you as to your opinions on what you think. It was a huge stroke of good luck on me finding this site, and believe I will becoming a very active member. Here's the link:

Pontiac : 4 door : eBay Motors (item 260542504633 end time Jan-26-10 21:11:40 PST)

Thank you for any and all feedback

Jim (AKA bofusmosby)

Welcome Jim,

That is a good looking car and I think you got a very good deal. Does it actually run and drive? The first thing you should do is join AACA and the second thing is to join the Pontiac Oakland Club, it helps to have a good support network when you are working with old cars. Hope you get it home OK and keep us posted as you sort it out.

Guest bofusmosby

To answer your question, yes, the car drives fine! However, it has been driven very little over the past 10 years, and from where I live, it would be over a2500 mile drive. I wouldn't want to risk it. The funny thing is, this same car was on ebay the week before, and no one bid on it! I talked the guy into selling it at a "buy it now" price. The car actually belongs to the guys father, who is in his 80's. If you noticed, the nose piece is missing some pieces, so the grill pieces are not mounted. I was able to locate a good nose piece on line, and just received it the other day. I even have the bill-of-sale, as well as the title, everything BUT the car. The seller is wanting me to have it picked up as soon as possible.

There is still work to be done, but it appears that the most expensive parts are already completed. This is a good thing, because I am living on a shoe-string budget.:D

I do have a question though. Since I have the title and bill-of-sale, should I go ahead and get the title changed over, and get insurance on the car now, or should I wait until the car comes home?

I suppose insurance is a good idea, after all, if you have paid for it, it is your loss if something happens to it.

Shipping: The fastest I know of is Uship.com. It is set up like a reverse auction. You join, just like ebay. Every member has feedback like ebay. You list the what needs moving, from where to where, and then shippers will bid on the job.

There are many owner operators as well as large shipping brokers that get your job then farm it out.

I use owner operators, period! I want to deal with the guy behind the wheel. You can stipulate that right in the job specs. I never go lowest bidder unless it's a owner operator with good feedback.

The reason it is fast and sometimes priced great, is that a hauler might be headed your way empty, and needs a job QUICK. So he gives a super price rather than run empty to his next pickup point.

I guess I would be somewhat adventursome and consider driving it home. Go out and put a new set of tires, have all the fluids changed, wheel bearings packed, etc and go for it. :) It will give you a great couple of weeks vacation driving the non expressway roads of the US. :D Think of what is the worst thing that can happen. You have it break down somewhere between Montana and Fl and you need to hire a shipper from there to get it home.:(

Guest billybird

I think you got the proverbial "deal of the century". Somehow I am never able to run across such deals but I am happy for those who do; such as yourself. I hope you enjoy the car and the hobby and look forward to you becoming a member of AACA. Hope to see the car, and you, at a future meet.

Yup, looks like a real find to me, congratulations. TexRiv suggested joining car clubs and I wholeheartedly agree. You should join the AACA (the organization that runs this site) and click on their list of chapters. There is now a special new chapter for pre-1958 Pontiacs that is operated by a group of Pontiac club old timers--your 1937 will fit right in with them. Look for a local chapter in your area too and go enjoy that car! Todd C

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys, and yes, I do plan on becoming a member of AACA. As far as driving the car over 2500 miles, well.....I gues I am not adverturesome. It might make it, but it probably wouldn't be good for the car. It needs to be broke in gradually. I DO plan on driving though, just not so far so soon. It looks to be a good deal, but seeing that this is my first "old" car of this age, well, my opinion is really qualified like those of you that have been into this hobby for many years. I always wanted a truely old car, but I kept saying to myself "one of these days when I can afford it". I figured that if I didn't just "do it", that day would never come, and I would die an old man (not that old yet LOL) wondering what it would have been like.

You can bet that I'll be asking a gazillion questions in the future, and some of them might actually be intelligent ones! You guys have really made me feel at home here, and I really do appreciate that!

Jim

Dear bofusmosby,

Congrats on the new car! Quite a "looker". My favorite photo of it is the under-the-hood shot of the flathead engine with the big old horns bolted on top. Looks like you could clear pedestrians out of the way pretty fast with those! I see the car is up in Deer Lodge, MT. If by some chance you go there to trailer or drive it back, remember there's a great antique car museum {Montana Antique Auto Museum} in Deer Lodge.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Jim (AKA bofusmosby)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Welcome to the old car guy community.

We're a really big group of people who love to do exactly what you are just beginning to discover. Finding this site is a good start. Joining this and a National Club for your Marque are good idea's too.

The next step is to find a local antique car club for sources & local referrals

to get you going on the learning part of being an old car owner & operator.

The Tampa Bay area is loaded with people who share your passion. Some of us like Trophy Shows, some like Touring in their antique cars and others get their kick working and perfecting their cars. Seek them out and join a local club and pick their brains and join the funnist hobby around.

This Saturday (March 6) the Tampa Model A Club and the Pinellas Model A Restorers (PinMAR) are displaying their cars in the Hyde Park section of Tampa

during the Hisrorical Home Tour. (Model A's and other antique cars) Many of the antique car people will be in period outfits, so they'll be easy to find. Come out and say hello.