37 studebaker president

Guest 42studebaker

Guest 42studebaker

I am restoring a 1937 Studebaker President #7115354. I have a parts car #7118129. I intend to make one out of the two. The later model 37 has an aluminum head. Which would be better the cast iron or aluminum? The transmission on one is a T85-1B (7/24/36) and has, I assume an overdrive that has the numbers R5-1 and an oval lable that is no longer readable but looks like a borg warner plate. The trans. from the parts car is a T85-1 (12/8/36) with a R1-1F Overdrive. If all of the above is serviceable, what would be the best to use?

Glenn Shull

The aluminum head may have casting number 186189. If so, it's 6.5:1 compression; the iron head may be 5.5 or 6:1. The aluminum head weighs 17 lbs versus the 54 lbs of the iron head. You just need to find the 184631 gasket for the head. Be sure to check the head for cracks before using it.

Other things being equal, I'd chose the transmission with the latest build date, if it fits. B/W may have improved some things with time, but I have no details of the differences.

Your first order is to obtain the parts book.

Master catalog of chassis parts.

All eights 1929-40.

Available from Studebaker International for $40.00 1-317-462 3124

their part number 801282.

On page 187 you will see the differences in The R1 and R5.

I need an instrument cluster and glovebox door for that car.

Let me know what you have left over.

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com

• 8 years later...

42 Studebaker posted back in 2010 that he had a parts car 37 president.  I really need to find part for my president, such as the dash speedometer and gauges.   I also need some other things such as the front window divider and outside door handles.  Does anyone have Glenn Shull's phone number or a way to connect with him to see if he still has anything left on his parts car?   Or of course anyone else... my email is docwiese7@yahoo.com or my phone is 541 414 5190.

Presidents used two transmissions in 1937. One is referred to as an automatic overdrive, shifting into overdrive happened when a certain speed was attained, and there was no lockout, so it was in OD until the driver was able to slow the car to that speed. This had obvious disadvantages when it came to braking (no compression). The second trans. was optional, and I believe a late arrival in 1937, and had a manual lockout. Look for a silver mushroom pullout to the left of the steering wheel. I would use the trans. with the lockout if you have a choice.

The 1937 automatic overdrive transmission is big and heavy.  Ask me how I know, LOL!  Without the lockout cable, the only way to get it to drop out of overdrive was to step on the gas pedal - not a good concept in my book.  There was a third transmission in 1937 (and was available in 1936): a simple three-speed without overdrive, but the overdrives were standard on Presidents that year.

1937 Pres OD trans T85-1.jpg

transmission_rebuilt.jpg

You should try making sense of the parts book for 1939 Commander & President and L5 transmissions. There was standard shift same as '38, then new for '39, then new for '39 with column shift. Then go through that lot again with the OD fitted. 2nd speed sliding gear is quite different in '39 and the way it is held on is quite different too, so the main shaft is different. And so on. It isa bit of a chore to unravel the parts list sometimes.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Jerry Kurtz rebuilds transmissions and adds overdrive from later model trans.  I would suggest contacting Jerry and I'll bet he will be able to provide you with a transmission that you'll be very happy with. PM me and I'll get you his contact information.

Edited by Cowtown Commander
Corrections (see edit history)

• 10 months later...
On 2/8/2010 at 12:02 PM, 42studebaker said:

I am restoring a 1937 Studebaker President #7115354. I have a parts car #7118129. I intend to make one out of the two. The later model 37 has an aluminum head. Which would be better the cast iron or aluminum? The transmission on one is a T85-1B (7/24/36) and has, I assume an overdrive that has the numbers R5-1 and an oval lable that is no longer readable but looks like a borg warner plate. The trans. from the parts car is a T85-1 (12/8/36) with a R1-1F Overdrive. If all of the above is serviceable, what would be the best to use?

Glenn Shull

I have a 37 Studebaker President to sell.Needs restoration but have all parts.  I  also have most of a 37 Sedan without  frame or engine. I also have a 38 coupe frame.  My phone is 530-517-2405.  If I had your email, I will email you pictures.

• Like 1