Filling rust pits in a manifold?

Dwight Romberger

This may be crazy and I am no expert, but what about lead or solder. Once blasted they will have a nice clean surface for solder to stick and I'm thinking 60/40 solder melts around 400 degrees, hopefully it would not remelt.

I am not aware of any high temp filler, especially on the exhaust manifolds. You might try one of the various products that they make to repair mufflers with that you can find at your local auto parts store. These products don't work very well for that but you may be able to find that they may fill somepits ok. Brazing them might also work. Solder might work on the intake but the exhaust would be too hot.

You can grind and sand the surfaces to remove minor pitting. After grinding, sandblast the surface with very coarse sand to get a a cast appearance back on the manifolds. I then soak the castings in Muriatic acid to thoroughly clean the surfaces. I finished my cast exhaust parts with VHT paint and baked it to get the correct cure. Remember, original castings had many pits and oclusions and flash due to the sand cast process; so perfection isn't needed to get to original condition.

Good Porcelain coatings can build up and fill pits. It is an expensive operation to get it done right. They tend to look artifical with the smooth shiney finish.

Bob

There are some high temp fillers that would probably work on the intake. The exhaust is tougher. Don't bother with the POR 15 restoration kit. Didn't work for me, although they did give me my money back. Filling the pits with braze then filing smooth would work for the areas you could get at but would be a Herculean task. Any coating will telegraph the pits. Rust and pits are generally accepted as just being the nature of the beast.................Bob

My earlier post suggested ceramic coatings. Coincidentally, our local BCA chapter had a short presentation on this at our meeting on Sunday afternoon. I learned that ceramic coatings significantly reduce engine compartment temperature and are available in several finishes to mimic original grey iron. It eliminates rust potential and will not come off or discolor.