Cool old cars in a movie...

keiser31

Saw a movie Monday night on the tube that had some VERY cool old cars in it. It was called "The Murder Of Mary Phagan" and took place in about 1915. There was a Dodge Brothers touring, a load of Model T Fords, a Rolls-Royce, a Buick touring and many others. Most of the cars actually looked to be the right years for the movie...what a concept! If you like the era, check out that movie.

Keiser I saw that movie a few years back, and yes, it did have some good cars in it.

Two other movies with some good cars were Benjamin Button and The Road to Perdition. I think the Road to Perdition was much better than B. Button.. Maybe you can watch them some time... I'm sure you'll enjoy them....take care, B

Loved "Road To Perdition"! Great car scenes. Years ago, I saw a movie "Tarzan", maybe, where they skidded a 1936 Chrysler sideways toward the camera and rolled it into a ditch. It was a very rare convertible sedan. OUCH!

hello everyone

years back i believe the late 70s or early 80s i was at the pomona swapmeet here in so caif, i found what i believed was a custom lincoln zephyr,it was in need of restoration at that time and i believed it was priced at 1200.00,this vehicle was supposedly used in the movie boston blackie, a t v series in the 50s about a private eye,a year later i saw it advertised i believe in hemmings,it was in colorado at that time,does any body know if this car survived has it been restored

thanks everyone for your help

dave

1931 devaux

1932 devaux

1927 moon roadster

A fellow Kanawha Valley Region - Charleston, W. Va. member Dean Harper, who has since passed away, let a movie comany use his antique car (sorry can't remember what make or model it was) in this movie The Movie Matewan

After promising in writing that it would only be driven carefully on dry roads they fished-tailed it up a muddy road. :mad: Let's just say Dean was less than pleased and vowed to never let one of his cars be used unless he was driving it himself.

New Orleans has become "Hollywood South". Louisiana offers tax incentives to Movie Production companies, and for many years has relied on members of local car clubs to provide, maintain, and drive vintage vehicles in those productions. We are sometimes also called upon to provide vehicle appraisals to the insurance companies who cover the production company. MY personal consulting to the many production companies goes back to the late 1970s.

I've had the pleasure of meeting many acting legends, including Lillian Gish, Brook Shields, Sharon Gless, Jack Warden, Richard (John-Boy Walton) Thomas, Charles Durning, Richard Dreyfus, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta, Jude Law, Patricia Clarkson, Sean Penn, Kate Winslet, Jamie Foxx, and many, many other somewhat lesser-known actors. My daughter drove, and lunched with James Gandolfini for 2 solid weeks, and danced her way with Charles Durning up Oak Street in New Orleans' Carrollton District. During a filming break with Durning she told him that one of her favorite films was "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". Durning played the Governor of Texas and sang and danced his way through a tune called "Oooh, I love to do a Little Side-Step" where he avoids answering reporters' questions about Dolly Parton's Enterprise - the Chicken Ranch, and the Sheriff (Burt Reynolds) involvement. They re-played that scene in front of the crew shooting a totally different film, and both had a ball, and for an older, heavy gentleman, he is quite a dancer.

Whenever a local car is used by a production company, and I'm able to coordinate, I insist that the vintage car owner also serve as the driver (if available), that the company provides written proof of insurance to cover that specific vehicle - and for a specific amount. The daily rental is documented, the driver is paid as an"extra" plus additional pay for "Costuming", and for overtime where required. I also assure that the "PICTURE CAR DRIVERS" eat with the production company staff -- NOT with the movie extras -- there is a HUGE difference ! For all practical purposes the old car guys and gals are treated like royalty, and literally eat like kings: Chef-prepared buffets, and not the meat balls and spaghetti that the extras get.

Because t it is the owner who gets to drive or park the cars which are considered "Background", the cars are well cared for. When a car is used as a "Hero" car, meaning that the stars drive, ride in, or are seen in them, the rentals are much more significant, and usually the owner works with the star to determine how to drive, and how the car is used.

For the most part, our experiences have been very positive. In my observation, if damage occurs, it it repaired and/or compensated, generally without question.

I am fortunate enough that I recently purchased an Amphicar from the movie "Pontiac Moon" with Ted Dansen. Its the last of 4 used in the movie and was the car used in close-ups. Not a great movie, but I love the car. I also have an Amphicar the Beatles rode in while in Cleveland in 1966.

My Pontiac Moon Amphi will get a nut/bolt resto as will the Beatles car. Here is a pic from my collection.

post-31565-143138156459_thumb.jpg