It's too cold...

Guest simplyconnected

Actually a lot of northern people retire to the south but after a couple of years they move back up north and we have no mosquitoes or fly's this time of year. And hot buttered rums taste better in the cold.

Ice boats have no brakes, you just turn them into the wind and they stop in a short distance, the skill is timing your stop so you don't have to push very far. It is interesting to read about the first person to go 60 mph or 100 mph in the 1900's when actually ice boaters in the

1800's were going that fast. Some of the new Skeeter ice boats have been clocked at 150 mph. My boats are antiques and I like to sail them at a slower speed, 50 to 60 mph. If you want more info on ice boats go to Ice Boats on the web, our group is the Four Lakes Ice Yacht Club. Stay warm. RHL

Shop Rat,

I think there is a picture of the Miss Madison on the Four Lakes Ice Yacht Club web site.

I don't know how to post pictures or I would put them on. The Miss Madison was built in 1927, is 38 feet long, weighs about 1500 lbs. and carries 375 feet of sail. I completely restored it 15 years ago with the original wood blocks, hemp lines and brass hardware. My other ice boats are a 1935 two passenger bow steer and a 1950 skeeter. All fun to sail, the skeeter being the fastest.

RHL

Shop Rat,

I think there is a picture of the Miss Madison on the Four Lakes Ice Yacht Club web site.

I don't know how to post pictures or I would put them on. The Miss Madison was built in 1927, is 38 feet long, weighs about 1500 lbs. and carries 375 feet of sail. I completely restored it 15 years ago with the original wood blocks, hemp lines and brass hardware. My other ice boats are a 1935 two passenger bow steer and a 1950 skeeter. All fun to sail, the skeeter being the fastest.

RHL

TGD, Is this the photo you wanted to post?

By the way, if your initials are RHL....so are my step-son's. :)

post-36313-143138146922_thumb.jpg

That is an original photo of it. How do I post pictures? I will put on a colored picture of the Miss Madison and Crawfish. The Crawfish would interest car people. The body is made like an aeroplane cockpit with side by side leather seats. You steer it with a large wooden steering wheel and on the dash is a 1927 Lincoln speedometer that runs off a studded wheel on the ice.

RHL Richard H. Lichtfeld

That is an original photo of it. How do I post pictures? I will put on a colored picture of the Miss Madison and Crawfish. The Crawfish would interest car people. The body is made like an aeroplane cockpit with side by side leather seats. You steer it with a large wooden steering wheel and on the dash is a 1927 Lincoln speedometer that runs off a studded wheel on the ice.

RHL Richard H. Lichtfeld

Here are the instructions from the FAQ page.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

By the way, the "attachment icon" is the paper clip beside of the smiley face on the top row the tool bar above the posts.

Guest simplyconnected

HEY! HEY!... This is MY thread, and I will tell him how...

First, you follow Shop Rat's instructions... (Well? Do you want the 'man in charge' or the 'woman who knows what's going on'?)

The little blue world with a chain is a LINK. You can link anything, by highlighting a word or phrase, and clicking on that blue link. Since we're doing COLD,

<--I highlighted 'click on this' and another screen popped up. Then I copied a URL address in the box provided. Go ahead and watch the ice fishing movie.

The yellow box is a POSTCARD. (I just found that out last week.)

If you already have your picture in your photo album, you can use this postcard to point to it.

OR, if your picture is on your personal web pages (from your internet provider), same thing, use the postcard to point to it, and it will appear right here:

DSCN4576.jpg

The important thing is to upload your picture somewhere first, then use the icons to point to it. (But if you move your picture, it won't show here any more because this program pointer won't know where it is.)

My picture is part of my web space. Click HERE to see the site (and my wife, Robin's, '59 Galaxie).

I hope this helps. If you want further instructions, go to the 'help' on this site.

(Thank You, Susan) - Dave

HEY! HEY!... This is MY thread, and I will tell him how...

First, you follow Shop Rat's instructions... (Well? Do you want the 'man in charge' or the 'woman who knows what's going on'?)

Who me?!?!? :eek: Know what is going on?!?!?! :rolleyes: Not me. :P I just copied and pasted the instructions from the FAQ for him. :D

I hope this helps. If you want further instructions, go to the 'help' on this site.

(Thank You, Susan) - Dave

You are welcome Dave. :)

Guest Skyking
IT'S TOO COLD

Noontime today it was only 55 degrees, and with the wind-chill factor, it felt like 51.

I'll trade you for what we're getting...........especially tomorrow.:(

We're finally getting some sunshine --

Very welcome after all that rain

Five inches in five hours,

seven inches in the next twelve hours

one day of only light rain,

another day of heavy rains - always the day & night of the grandson's Xmas concert,

Today started off drizzley, but we have a cold front and sunny skies. 55 with a chill factor made it feel like 51 degrees -- I'll take it any time, especially when I talk with friends in Colorado, Wyoming (Hi Howard), Northern Illinois, and Central Pennsylvania/Johnstown Area.

This past week has been unusual, and what we had in rain is now going up the Shenandoah and Appalaichains to the East Coast as a potential blizzard. As much as I enjoyed growing up there, I'm just as happy not to have to shovel snow (I remember a forecast of "partly cloudy" - we shoveled 14 inches of partly cloudy! I delivered morning newspapers with my Rollfast Springer through the snow and cold of Northern New Jersey winters - 2 morning routes, and another after school. When it got really bad I had a set of snow tires on rims with chains already mounted for Dad's '51 Pontiac "Tin-Woodie" wagon with the flat-head "6-cylinder" and Hydra-Matic. we could get through most of the big drifts. Sometimes I would get home very late after my band played a Saturday night dance, and I would spend the next couple of hours folding and stuffing the back sections into the front of the "Newark Star Ledger", and then out without any sleep to get 365 ++ papers delivered.

Shucks, Marty, you live in sunny Nawlins. Winchester gets 12 to 16 inches of snow, starting at midnight. If'n ya wanta come dig us out, feel free! I was going to paint the fins on the radiator of the Hupp tomorrow (sign of the times, went to paint shop and asked, hey, ya got any radiator paint? Huh?! he said, no such thing, just spray some black enamel on it...uh, no, and then wonder why the cooling system doesn't work...wonder how many cars there are out there with nice pretty black enamel on the radiator, but don"t cool worth a darn). I digress again, doubt if I'll do any painting tomorrow, unless I want snow flake designs imbedded (OK, so, to some of you asking the question, yes, I paint some stuff outside, just like the old days).

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good Knight (sleeve valve engine, that is).

OK, back to the topic. Never had one of the old cars out in the snow, but so, so tempting, what great pictures I've seen.

G'night. dc

Winchester area, I don't wonder about getting that kind of snow, but we're forecast for the same thing here in the Southside!

I've heard anywhere from 6 to 20 inches forecast for this area depending on how far east the system moves.

I count myself lucky and blessed that I no longer HAVE to go to the plant in this stuff. 25 years in plant operations as "essential staff" meant even if it was 2 feet on the ground, I had to go. I missed two snowstorms in all that time, but I never EVER missed an ice storm- if there was ice forecast, I was scheduled to work, usually night shift.

And most of those 25 years was in a full size GM wagon with studded snowtires, until I bought the AWD Bravada. A 4x4 by Ford does that task now.

It was beautiful this afternoon while the roads were still pretty clear. I hate to think about tomorrow morning. Guess I'll hibernate and watch movies. The Oldsmobiles will hibernate as well, though the Toronado used to love snow. Truly an excellent snow car- and then I restored it.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

It appears that for the most part, Interstate 95 is an Impenetrable barrier for Snow in North Carolina. I am very happy to be on the rain side of that barrier. I have always been convinced that snow is God's way of telling you that an area is uninhabitable.

We did have the snow of 1989 here, but that is the last time we had any significant amount of snow in Wilmington NC. Sorry, but I will just sit here an complain about the rain like Marty.

Hi,,David / dc,,,,,Old cars in snow/ice,,,,when ya spin,,and get stuck,,,usually uphill,,,,aaaghh,,,w/4 wheel brakes,,ya have 2 wheels to go AND 4 wheels to stop,,,nice,,,HOWEVER,,,on the earlier cars,,,if ya start spinnin,,and loose traction,,,DO NOT EXPECT TO STOP THE RIG,,,,,youre gonna slip an slide right back down,,,so you should be practiced in BACKING AT SPEED,,, while using all pedals and wheel,,,hahah,, It took me 14 tries to max speed around corner and go up 2 hills in series w/a 1916 White 3/4 ton truck,,,nice 4 speed tranny[the overdrive one]] The good part was it was a dirt road,,w/ wheel tracks well iced over,,, On the P-I Rolls,,,the power brakes only wind up on the front from power deliverd by the turning axle,,,HOHOHO,,,,When ya lock er up,,yes the front wheels will not skid,,,,,HOWEVER,,,if it does not stop moving the technique is to let out the clutch w/power on and wind up the front brakes,,and hold on,,,,now you are stopped,,,,BUT now what,,,if ya use the hand brake you will only have 2 wheels holding,,if you take foot off pedal,,,same,,,Somehow I miss why this hasnt happened more recently,,,,more sand and ,,,we still only have hand[ [parking]] brakes on the rear,,, Perhaps I need to explain???,,,The Rolls has a power WINCH,,that pulls up the brake cables,,and assiststs the rear,,,BUT is the total power for the front,,,so if the rear locks up,,no additional power is applied to the front brakes,,and the front DOES NOT SKID,,I LOVE THAT,,,,Oh yeh,,babbitt bearings,,,,when did you hear of a Rolls having a rod failure,,,,Rolls was a 7p enclosed limo,,the one I drove Boston to Detroit,,,ccca tour to Packard 1955 Grand classic,,Sept '55 I think, It was my daily driver,,,,,,,Cheers,,Ben

Guest simplyconnected

As a young'in I lived in Chicago. Both older brothers and an older sister delivered the morning paper REALLY EARLY in the morining. Dad bought a '54 Ford Country Sedan Wagon, his first car in 17 years of marriage.

One zero-cold morning in '55, Dad set-out for work. He went to the garage, stuck his key in that straight-six Ford, and it started immediately. Hmmmmmmm..... He got out, opened the hood, stuck his finger in the radiator; it felt luke warm. Hmmmmmmmmmm........

My brothers fessed-up. They'd been delivering papers from the wagon for months! None of them had licenses, and this car was a stick. Dad was sore for a while, but he got over it. We just lost Dad last year, he was 98. All of us miss him REAL BAD.

I understand Matt. Just today we watched as an idiot guy almost hit car as he came through an intersection while texting and driving his 4-wheel drive pick-up. There was no doubt what he was doing because he had his phone held out in front of him so that he could read it. :mad:

I went through driver's ed at my high school my senior year in the winter of 68-69. "Defensive Driving" was new then. Now if you don't drive that way someone like the guy we saw today will kill you and then whine how they never talk on their cellphone or text while driving.

Susan, I'll try to pass through St. Albans on my next trip to the Johnstown area - at least make time to but y'all a cup of hot chocolate and compare Dalmatian rescue stories. Always sorry to hear of the loss of parents - I'm sure you have some wonderful memories, and with time they outweigh the sadder moments. Dale lost her Dad to cancer 22 years ago, and her Mom just a year ago at nearly 95 years young - mine were married only 62 years since May, 1941 - lost Dad 9/10/03 and Mom 9/11/06 - many great memories of both - someday we'll sit out a rain shower and swap memories -- thanks again for all that Telco Pioneers do.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Susan, I'll try to pass through St. Albans on my next trip to the Johnstown area - at least make time to but y'all a cup of hot chocolate and compare Dalmatian rescue stories. Always sorry to hear of the loss of parents - I'm sure you have some wonderful memories, and with time they outweigh the sadder moments. Dale lost her Dad to cancer 22 years ago, and her Mom just a year ago at nearly 95 years young - mine were married only 62 years since May, 1941 - lost Dad 9/10/03 and Mom 9/11/06 - many great memories of both - someday we'll sit out a rain shower and swap memories -- thanks again for all that Telco Pioneers do.

A visit would be great. And thanks for the comment about the loss of my mom and dad. And for the nice nod to the Pioneers. :)

I would like to encourage any of you that are 50 or older, if you have not had a baseline/follow-up colonoscopy done, call your doctor Monday and set one up. Colon cancer can be prevented when it is just in the polyp stage. My mom's doctor never sent her for one. It is why she is no longer with me. Bill will have his second one in early January. I had my second one last year. Please do this for yourself and those that love you and would miss you terribly.

Back to cold weather driving - - - My wife needed sunflower seeds for the bird feeder, so this morning I cranked up the '13 Ford roadster and drove the 4 miles to the Audubon Society to get a couple of 25-pound bags. Got a lot of thumbs-ups and waves. And a few open-mouthed stares. Temperature 22. In deference to the chilliness I didn't keep the windshield folded down. We're supposed to get up to a foot starting this afternoon.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I think I'd have been in the :eek: category.

Then again, I have to remember people drove them in any weather back when they were contemporary. That's why all-weather vehicles came about.

4WD and a good heater notwithstanding, short of an emergency here or at the other house I think I'm gonna stay in the house today and possibly tomorrow! I don't HAVE to go anywhere, and there's food, heat, books and movies, so I ought to be in good shape.

Matt, at least you don't live in an area that 40 miles west gets snow, 40 miles east gets rain, and it gets ICE. I'm not too thrilled about heavy snowstorms but I'll take a foot of snow over a 1/4 inch of ice any day.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

The mercury dipped to -37 F here in Fairbanks on Saturday, so we thought it was appropriate to write a blog entry about "Winter Driving-Then and Now" in Alaska. If you're interested, here's the link: Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum: Cold Weather Driving - Then & Now. Or, you can just go to the website link below and click on our Visit Our Blog. There's a fun write up on the bizarre Fordson Snow Motor on the blog too.