1964 Wildcat body progress

BamaWildcat

As some of you that follow my website know, I started fixing up my 1964 Wildcat in 2004. The biggest expense has been the body work, and I save up and usually make it down to a body shop once a year.

Here is where I started:

before_driver_side.jpg

And here is where it was 2 years ago:

fender_at_mbtlarge_2.jpg

I'd had the roof and rear door fixed at one body shop I ended the relationship with over lack of work after 9 months, and found a new body shop to fix the rear fender.

It took a long time for me to find a blaster. I had two good leads, but one was completely mobile and didn't have access to a shop. I would have to pay for travel time, and be responsible for clean up. The other lead did blasting but also ran a body shop, and wanted to do the bodywork as well as blast them. Since I have aligned with a shop, I needed the parts to be in bare metal. I hit a car show during the summer and found a person who did blasting about an hour away, so I loaded everything up and went to see him.

betterhood.JPG

blasting%20fenders.JPG

fenderblasting.JPG

hoodfendersbytruck.JPG

Not as much swiss cheese as expected:

little%20swiss%20cheese.JPG

Below are the driver's side fender. All went as expected getting these refinished. The unique color is PPG primer.

fendershop2.jpg

fendershop1.jpg

Undercoating sprayed:

buick5.JPG

Here is the driver's side primed and with a black guide coat. It is ready to be hung back on the car until paint prep.

buick6.JPG

Passenger side fender getting worked on:

fendershop4.jpg

Here it is in primer. The guide coat and undercoating is all it lacks at this stage.

buick4.JPG

Sadly, my hood ended up warped beyond repair. If you look closely below toward the middle of the hood, you can see where it is wavy. I'm not really sure how this happened as I helped the media blaster load it into the car and it was fine then. The next day? All wavy. My original hood for the car was no good, which is why the hood below had come off a parts car.

warped.jpg

I found a hood about an hour away from a v8buick.com member for replacement. $100 later, I was back in business:

buickhood1.JPG

Rust much?

buickhood2.JPG

I decided that while I was at it, I might as well pull off the inner fenders and do a bunch of detailing. I started by dropping the bumper. Those bars that reinforce the bumper are a pain to get off.

bumperdropped.jpg

I had to get the lower support bar that ties both inner fender together off. I got all the fasteners pulled off on the passenger side, but the driver's side was so rusted getting the fasteners out while it was all put together on the car was impossible. See below how I got everything out of the way to take the driver's side inner fender out with the bar attached. I ended up having the cut the metal around the body mount on that side to get the rest of the nine yards off.

innerfendersalute.jpg

Inner fenders gone:

innersoff.jpg

Back when the fenders had come off, I had discovered I had some holes in each side of the cowl directly above each fresh air vent on the sides of the car. Here they are after sanding:

cowl1.jpgcowl2.jpg

My goal of working on the car is restoration. However, finances are are constant factor. I want to do everything right the first time, but when finances do not prevail I take the route of preservation. Here I have put rust converter on the affected areas:

cowl3.jpgcowl4.jpg

Next, where there were actual non-factory holes, I covered them in metal tape and then shot primer on top of them. Once again, my goal is to preserve the areas until I have finances later to fix them properly. When I paint the firewall, I will probably hit this area with the semi-gloss paint I have just for extra protection.

cowl8.jpgcowl7.jpg

I'll be using the original passenger inner fender, and the driver's side inner fender from my parts car. Here is a before picture of the happy couple:

happycouple.jpg

This is why I won't be using my original-to-the-car inner fender. See if you can spot what is wrong with the battery tray:

rustedtray.jpg

(It doesn't exist!)

It's great to see some new progress shots of your project! Keep at it...

What media did the blaster use on the hood? If he used sand, then that's why the hood was warped.

Where are you located?

I do not think that the hood warped because sand was used as a blasting media. I believe it was the 90 degree angle that the guy used to hit the hood with (as seen in the posted photo). You should NEVER hit a panel perpendicular to the metal with a blaster. A 15 degree angle or less would prevent the force of the sand or other media from warping the parts.

Since I don't own a welder, what I did to hold make a perma-temp repair to the battery tray is below.I used some sheet steel I had, made a brake out of two pieces of wood, and 6 stainless screws later, we're good until I get to a welder.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42268&stc=1&d=1259367852

Some aluminum tape and primer, and it doesn't look half bad. I know this is still half baked, but the name of the game is preservation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42269&stc=1&d=1259367856

I'll get it back in paint again once I sand and prime the bottom.

post-31437-143138139125_thumb.jpg

post-31437-143138139128_thumb.jpg

Edited by BamaWildcat (see edit history)

Can anyone with another full size 64 tell me if this is the correct hardware setup for the battery retaining hardware? This hardware was loose in the back of my parts car, so I don't know. I figured the front rod would actually fit into something. :confused:

attachment.php?attachmentid=42270&stc=1&d=1259368300

I seemed to have answered my own question with a picture from one of the many eBay auctions I saved:

attachment.php?attachmentid=42342&stc=1&d=1259474155

post-31437-143138139629_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My 69 electra had the same issue on the cowl your's has. I might suggest checking the inner cowl piece for more repairs needed. This is right over the foot wells in the front and any damage here will drop water onto your carpets and feet.

It has been too cold to paint, so I replaced the sway bar end links. A good little project for $16.

This is one of those things that is a H-U-G-E pain to do with the fenders and inner fenders on, hence why I am doing it now.

I did have some hesitations as the new kits had longer bolts and spacers, but everything fit together at the end. I'm assuming the previous non-OEM replacement was shorter than it should have been.

Bolt comparison:

longbolt.jpg

Spacer comparison:

longsleeve.jpg

Passenger side before:

lbefore.jpg

I had to get the jack to give me some help:

lduring.jpg

Shiny new made-in-the-USA Moog!

lafter.jpg

Driver's side before:

rbefore.jpg

After:

rafter.jpg

The wide view:

complete.jpg

I think it was time to replace them:

wornout.jpg

Progress is progress. It was about 29° F outside when I did these, and with my portable propane heater strapped to my gas grill tank, it was doable.

I'm hoping someone buys me some brake lines for my Birthday. It is wrong to constantly drop hints of the URL of who sells them to the spouse and let her know they have our shipping address on file?

• 1 month later...

It's amazing the difference from 1964 Wildcat to 1965. Looks like a great project. I want to slowly rebuild mine but problem is money so that and a few other projects get put on hold.

• 1 month later...

4 months later from the meat of the project, we are finally getting weather back in the 60s. I took the opportunity to repaint portions of the firewall, and also paint the cowl. I'm pretty sure this area was body color, but since mine was rust, it got the semi-gloss treatment until the car gets final color in 10 years.

Masking with the amateur's favorite, newspaper:

attachment.php?attachmentid=52396&stc=1&d=1269918769

post-31437-14313819226_thumb.jpg

After:

attachment.php?attachmentid=52397&stc=1&d=1269918824

When I got the roof primed many years ago at the first shop I ever went to, I paid extra to have white paint cut in around the windshield so I wouldn't have to pull it. I found out painting the cowl at the bottom they painted over old windshield sealant.

I hate paying extra for lazy.

post-31437-143138192263_thumb.jpg

Last surprise for the evening: My wipers moved a little slow, so I figured I would take the "motor cover" off the wiper motor to spray some lube.

Joe got a lesson in electric motors because it was the wiper motor case that I pulled off. A brush popped out I couldn't get back in and another brush showed a crack, which may have been why they were slow.

I'll stick the parts car wiper motor on and save the factory for a rebuild when the time comes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52400&stc=1&d=1269919241

post-31437-14313819227_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...