Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Roger,

Thanks for asking.

Stude8,

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering the same thing and now I have learned something new. I presumed it was to match the original, but I had no idea why it was that way originally.

Hi Roger and everyone, thanks for the responses. I also asked Greg as to his reasoning for the loop. So he responded and sent along some original pictures of the Stoddard Dayton engine. It is all very interesting. One of the pics is of the mechanical regulator.

From Greg: "Sorry for the delay in replying. The answer to your question is "I don't know". I'm enclosing pictures of the SD oiling system for 1911. Mine is a little different.

They used an unusual method. The gear pump picks up oil from the pan and feeds a manifold which directs the oil to pockets over the mains and cam bearings. The oil then gravity feeds into the bearings. Runoff from the main bearings is caught by slingers on the crank throws which then feed the rod journals by centrifugal force. There is enough pressure to then feed tubing that lubricates the wrist pins.

You can see in the picture another pipe from the pump that stays on that side of the case. That is the line to an external pressure regulator. Prior to this, the regulator was threaded into that manifold making it necessary to drop the pan to adjust. I think you can see that hole on the manifold has been plugged. The 1911 external regulator installs outside the case, the line exiting ahead of the pump and the regulator behind, which is where the open check valve will dump the excess back into the case.

On mine, the line exits behind the pump, the forward hole plugged. The return hole is over the right rear cam bearing. A picture of my check valve is included.

As for why the loop. 1. Vibration issues? The tight circle in the 3/8" is really rigid. Both ends of the pipe are close together and mounted to the same case. Can't imagine vibration an issue. The loop may even cause vibration.

2. Possibly an installation aid. If the pipes were made up on the fifth floor (?) of the plant by someone who would never see the installation downstairs, someone may need to make an adjustment when fitting it up.

3. It has been suggested that the loop shown on the '11 picture may be to prevent drain back of the oil. That might work on that horizontal pipe, but I tried it with this one that has its outlet higher than the inlet end. As long as you have your finger over the upper end, it doesn't drain (of course), but break the vacuum and it does.

As for my use of copper tubing. I've always been taught to use brass tubing. I've always found brass tubing on unrestored cars. For some reason Stoddard used copper. Might be because the soft copper allows you to thread the pipe through some of the many holes inside the case and pull it through and bend it for the next hairpin turn. Unrestored cars I've examined also used copper throughout.

I didn't see any need to try to outdo the manufacturer. I do, however, like on the tightly bent looped line, will anneal the pipe before I install it. The only pic I have at hand of any original tubing is enclosed."

post-48480-143138433042_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138433046_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138433051_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138433055_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday PM, Feb 6th. The weather was quite nice today. A bit of sun and 40 degrees or so. I managed to shovel the snow from the Avanti garage so I could sneak in. So jumped in the Avanti and started her up. I guess I am getting anxious for a run.

Here is Greg's report. "Weekend damage assessment. Not quite as winterlike, the weather allowed me to spend some time with the Avanti.

I've wanted to install the fuel tank access panel and back seat. Pulled the seat backrest and cushion out of storage. Scrubbed the cushion and realized it has issues. Vinyl aged and brittle. Scrubbed it with bleach and a toothbrush and noticed that some of the stitching has failed, some of the reinforcements torn from their hogrings. I began stripping the covering from the springs and decided to let someone more familiar with the process should take over.

On to the backrest. Although just as brittle, looked ok enough to reuse. Scrubbed it, wiped it down and used vinly aerosol to recolor it. Looked pretty good.

While it dried, I reinstalled the tank compartment cover. That called for relocating some screws, a few oversized ones too.

The the fun part. The backrest has shrunk enough to hamper installation. Especially the top center area. So while wrestling with it to get it in place, it tore. Like I said, brittle. Of course it might have worked on a hot summer day. I so miss everyone complaining about how hot it is.

So, today I've been telling myself ...."It's a driver". For a seldom if ever used back seat, it will be serviceable. I've always got the option to have it recovered at a later date."

post-48480-143138435968_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138435972_thumb.jpg

Hey, it's Tuesday, February Feb 8th. Alice dragged me from the farm yesterday, and we drove into Washington DC. Went to the new Newseum Newseum | Newseum Home near the mall. Interesting stuff. They had several major exhibits. A great way to spend the day. The only odd thing is that I have lived through all their major exhibits, now what does that tell me.

But here is Greg's report for Monday night. "You'll be glad to know the air compressor is working again.

Got back to work on the babbitting jig for the Peerless throwout bearings. Pictured is the prototype stage. It might work.

I've been asked why work on these instead of the Matheson engine. Well, I've had these longer than the Matheson, and I'm trying to stay ahead of when they need these bearings. I've already lost the race on the engine.

post-48480-143138437378_thumb.jpg

OK, so you've seen Greg's back seat backrest. We were talking, he was wondering what to do with the back seat cushion, as some a seam had let go on one of the recessed details of the seat. He's trying to "conserve" the rear seat, so I offered to help. I only owe him about 100 favors.....

Old vinyl is not as flexible as one would like, but I managed to remove all the hog rings and remove the cover from the seat. Sounds simple, that's about 2 hours work, when you try to do no harm. Foam is decent, springs have surface rust, and some of the supporting steel needs some work.

So, apart, Greg came by and picked up spring assembly, he'll work on that this week while I'm enjoying Sacramento weather....

post-31482-14313844581_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143138445868_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143138445923_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143138445977_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143138446031_thumb.jpg

This is all simply incredible. I've never seen someone do such an extensive restoration of an Avanti before. I'm in awe, and perhaps a bit jealous! :D Very nice car, I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures!

P.S. My grandfather's real big into Avantis. Primarily the '63s. If you need some parts, we've got rooms full of NOS and OEM parts over at the shop. All Avanti. I'll have to check with him before I sell anything, but if you need anything in particular, send me a PM.

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

I'd laid out the foam, as shown, to ask Greg what he wanted to do with the foam.

He had the same question. Usually, at this stage, 50 year old foam starts to turn to dust, like a pile of cornmeal, if you touch it. As you say, it hardens and then disintegrates.

This foam is in very good condition, not brittle at all.....and we've decided to use it.

For an option, I have three chair bottoms in foam that is just about identical in density, I don't normally have foam (as I do the older seats with horsehair and cotton), but these were used to pack something at work so I saved them. I've formed foam before, using an electric knife.

But, as stated, we're going with the original......

Dave, thanks for the rear seat update. Glad that you are able to help.

It is Sunday PM, February 13th. Here is Greg's weekend report. We finally hit 50 today so it was almost like spring. Still lots of snow around in patches.

Ok, some action on a couple fronts.

Avanti: The pile of miscellaneous bits and pieces is growing smaller. Gathered some of the hood and door hardware, bolts and washers and hood dovetail assemblies for cleaning and some (non) Pebble Beach Judging Standard aerosol simulated cad plate.

Picked up the rear seat cushion springs from Dave, and began stripping the burlap/jute and some of the wiring. These springs really need to be chemically derusted, but it looks like the EPA must have done in Redi-strip? These are too fragile to sandblast, and don't know how well soda would work. Looking for suggestions. (I told Greg to spray Eastwood's rust treatment products rather than trying to take the springs apart for treatment.)

And on the Peerless engine: I set up and poured the first Peerless bearing . It went pretty well except when some dummy forgot to plug the lubrication hole. I saved the day by jamming a wooden file handle over the molten babbitt spewing hole until it froze. I'd let him go, but he's the only one here today. It looks like the mold will be successful."

post-48480-143138447344_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138447349_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138447356_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313844736_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138447368_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138447372_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138447377_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138447382_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138447386_thumb.jpg

Guest Backyardmechanic

hello,

One can get new seat springs Made from Snyders Model A parts in New Springfield Ohio

Phone 888-2625712 fax 332-549-221 They will make any seat springs you have to ship your orginial to them.

Vern

David, have passed the info on Safest Rust Remover to Greg.

It is Tuesday, February 13th. Cool here this morning, just above freezing. Got to 71 degrees, but the wind was whipping and the trees howling for most the the day, some gusts up to 50 mph.

Alice and I decided to get off the farm for the day so went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum near the Dulles Airport. Lots to see and was not crowded. We have been there a few times, but they always have more to see. The last time we were there they had just moved the space shuttle Enterprise into the hanger complex from outside where it had been in storage. You could not get close to it as they were cleaning and repairing. Now you can walk all around it. What a beast! Great looking machine. I took a few pics for this blog, and they are attached. A very nice day indeed.

And Greg was busy last night too. Here is his report.

"Started the evening by milling some reliefs in the Peerless engine castings. Some didn't have them and while pouring that first one I realized that they are a good thing. They help gate the molten babbitt through the channels. The first one didn't have them and it called for some fancy ladle maneuvering.

Avanti work consisted of spending some time picking and filing a wazoo in one of the door trim stainless pieces. Now better, but not best. I've got to balance out the difference between really nice, good enough and just a driver.

Otherwise, yesterday was friend Brit's birthday. The old war horse turned 88. I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but one of the best days I ever had was when he took me out in a Piper Cub to teach me chandelles. How appropriate. That was one of the tools of his trade in P-40's and '51's while carrying out ground attack missions in the Pacific."

post-48480-143138449497_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138449502_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138449506_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313844951_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138449524_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313844954_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138449554_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138449569_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138449584_thumb.jpg

post-48480-1431384496_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Thank you for the planes pictures!

About repairing moldings: usually people are afraid to be rude with stainless steel. According to the picture of that molding, the procedure was not the right one; such a nice dent can be easely repaired. There is however one condition: the moulding has to be polished after hammering on it.

It is Tuesday, PM. Greg told me this morning that the seat springs have been sent off to Ohio to a rust converter facility. He did not want to invest in a vat of chemicals. I am sure that he will give us a report when they get back.

Oh, and I did work on my Avanti today. Washed it, checked all the fluids and pronounced her fit for the road. Now if all the old snow and ice will melt from the driveway I will get her back on the road. She does sound great!

And here is Greg's report for this evening.

"The UPS truck came today and really shot my evening work plans.

I am really enjoying getting back to my Avanti days. Except for the problems presented by drastically overpriced materials, motor oil that kills engines, and reproduction parts that don't fit, the getting reacquainted with my favorite modern car, and establishing contact with old and new friends in the search for information is total enjoyment.

Although I'm a dinosaur where modern technology is concerned, I find that this computer does enhance the search for information, the R-5 project included.

Where that's concerned, I'm especially fortunate to have made some contact with the Granatellis themselves. I've never been able to do that before. Once while stationed in Germany, I even hopped a train to Bavaria when I heard they were in country to see about an Indy car chassis. I missed them, that forty years ago.

I now have contact, though being careful not to wear out my welcome. Then in today's mail comes this, a gift from the Granatelli family. Can you believe a NOS Team shirt from 1963.

I then open the Youtube "Bonneville Record Breaker" video. The crew has them on. I haven't opened the sealed plastic. Malcolm Collum, formerly of the Henry Ford and currently Chief Conservator for Nat'l Air and Space, has already been consulted. A good friend to have on your side.

The R-5 project has been languishing lately, and I am ready to release a photograph that I've been sitting on for those forty years. But not tonight. I've copied it first to the Granatellis tonight in a gesture to try to show them how flattered I am with this gift. You'll get it tomorrow night, promise.

Meanwhile, here is a look into the Bonneville Team time capsule. 1963, a wonderful time for the Granatellis and for Studebaker.

So, I'm too charged up to work. Goodnight.

post-48480-143138449886_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313844989_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138449894_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday AM, February 17th. Well, here is the big reveal. Greg's R5 engine is almost done. I know that he has been working on it for over a year. According to Greg it has all the original major components of the speed record setting Avanti engine. You can see in the pic that it is missing its oil pan. A new high capacity pan is being fabricated by the Paxton employee who build the original.

Great job Greg! Thanks for keeping this important part of Avanti history alive.

Here is Greg's post.

"OK, you won't believe what I've gone through to bring these pictures to you tonight. Giant snafu on this computer which was finally resolved by calling Logan, my youngest son who was in bed asleep for some long distance email file repair and talking me through....I know. You don't want to hear it, you just want to see pictures. But Logan saved my bacon.

We've gone over the fact that there's only two known images of the R-5. Half-tone magazine shots . The original pics had been pilfered before I tried to find them in the sixties.

When I bought the pile of R-5 parts from Joe Granatelli, it came without instructions, but he did include a snapshot. Unless the Granatellis have some pics stored away, this might be the only existing photograph, safely tucked away for forty years.

Also enclosed find a picture of the engine real time. Unfinished and unpainted, but major parts hung together.

As they say in the movies....."Ladies and Gentlemen, we bring you Kong...."

=

post-48480-143138451135_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138451171_thumb.jpg

Still Thursday. Asked Greg what his general plans are for the R5 engine. I think in the short term Greg will assemble all the original pieces he has, and then see if he can procure a few original parts from a couple of other sources. I know that the engine does not have pistons as he does not have the originals. Do they exist? Greg says that they do and know the owner of them. He believes that they are in a running engine on the east coast.

I did ask him if his goal is to run the engine and perhaps put it back in an Avanti. He said, not at this time. It is just too valuable to risk making it a running engine. He is building it as a display with as many original parts as possible. Also, there is no choke mechanism and very limited throttle control as the fuel delivery system was built for an airplane engine. As you know, Greg is very passionate about originality so he is willing to just about make any sacrifice for this engine. After all, it is the only one.

Here is what Greg said.

"So now that the cat is out of the bag. I'd like to have the braided stainless Aeroquip fuel lines in place as they are important in the understanding of the system. I don't know if I can find them (if I even got them). I've priced components to remake them and for the four short hoses I need are about four hundred dollars. Right now money better spent on the maroon Avanti car.

I did take some measurements to make some supports for the R5 engine stand, I've got a stick jammed under the front of it for now.

Haven't heard anything from the pan guy, but there's no hurry.

I'll be gathering the hundred head bolts, pan screws, water outlet, junk like that to clean and install as I find it.

And later on when I get the black Avanti car out for refresh, I'll change out the real cylinder heads, etc. It needs to be painted.

This engine project is far enough along that I can use it as fill in with other work and when I have the time. It's a thing now, not just a bunch of parts in boxes and on a bench. Most importantly, not lost to history in the back of my pole barn. A New Year's Resolution achieved."

It is Friday, February 18th. Yesterday was beautiful, 73 degrees. Today we may make it to 76 degrees. Going to drag out the 23 and take her for a run.

But for your morning's coffee, here is Greg's report.

"It's been a busy day. A couple events caught on film.

1. Aviation artifact Weldon Britton working on an aviation artifact. He's lathe turning a hub for a Langley Aerodrome flywheel.

2. Machine from the stone age. Back in the days of points and condensers, distributors were dialed in on a machine like this."

post-48480-14313845257_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138452575_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, February 22nd. Seems like a long time between posts. Cold again, ice and snow last night.

What have I been doing? Repairing fence lines, 10 acres worth. The pastures are surrounded with trees and a lot of branches and little trees were toppled during the big wind storm of a couple of days ago. Took almost two days to get everything secure again.

On the mechanical side I have decided to keep my little Kubota tractor. So I bought a power steering kit versus buying a new tractor. The instructions are pretty straight forward. About 30 some steps from start to finish. Well, the first step was remove the steering wheel. After a day I am still on step one. Could not get the wheel off even with my trusty puller. I also heated it, but stopped as the plastic for the hub started smoking. I have it soaking in Kroil now and will give it another go when I get new bolts for the puller. You will see why.

Pic of bent and broken bolts for the puller; steering wheel and tractor. More on this later.

Greg has been bouncing between projects too. Here is his report.

"Seems like there hasn't been a minute to spare lately but not a lot to report.

1. I did get the oil line ready to try on the Stoddard.

2. Three more Peerless throwout bearings have been stripped and readied for tinning.

3. The weather was warm enough for me to get in a little time on the Avanti. Pulled the distributor, tweaked the point dwell on Rob's Sun machine , reinstalled and started the car. Then without a seat to sit on, drove the car from the storage bldg to our maintenance hangar where it promptly ran out of gas. With the rest of that five gallon can poured in the hole, it restarted and I drove it back. So the reincarnated car now has 1/4 mile on it.

The R-5 project: I had gotten word from the pan guy that he needed to know what type temperature probe it was supposed to have. He said there were four different types. Then, before I could reply "I don't know", some pictures appeared on the Studebaker Driver's Club forum. One , a beautiful view of the oil pan and fitting. Just in time as they say.

In my search for these newfound (to me) pictures I now find that they most likely came from a printed history of Studebaker, so they too are half-tones. My old associate Dick Bennett informs me that his search for the original photographs have also been a dead end search.

We'll keep looking.

I will forward to you copies of these new images soon."

post-48480-143138459544_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138459561_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138459578_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138459593_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138459608_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138459612_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138459616_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, Feb. 23rd. Turned very cold again so all the outside projects are on the back burner for a couple of days. But Greg continues to work in his shop. Here is his report.

"Old Man Winter persists.

Tonight's exercise: Cleaning and tinning Peerless parts a practice in patience.

Seldom seen the Studebaker since Saturday."

post-48480-143138460882_thumb.jpg

FyI. There is a Studebaker Drivers Club forum discussion on Greg's Avanti R-5 engine. Lots of new pictures as of last night as Greg took a couple of folks out to see the engine. Thought some of you might have an interest. Here is the link to page 2 with the pics. You can key in page 1 to the link address if you want to start at the beginning.

Shades of Bonneville....

It is Monday, February 28th. Spring is a coming! We have had a couple of nice days into the 60s, so we have been able to get out to do farm chores. Had another huge wind storm, gusts over 60 mph and one or more at 74 mph. All is well.

I did have some time to work on the Kubota tractor to get it ready for power steering. I finally managed to get off the steering wheel after soaking it with Kroil for four days. I got some grade 5 bolts and used three on the puller versus two. Still would not budge, so while it was under tension I slammed the head of the puller several times with a very large hammer and the wheel popped off. Then I turned to the roll pin for the throttle. I worked on it for a couple of hours and the rust finally gave up and got the pin removed. So when I get a couple of days of nice weather I am ready to proceed to page 2 of the instruction book. Here are a couple of pics.

I finally received a report from Greg. He has been really busy with work work, and that has not left him with a lot of time for his after hours work. Also the work on the R5 Avanti engine and the Stoddard Dayton requires travel to MD from VA, about four hours round trip. But he has a few things done. So here is his report and pics.

"Not much Avanti news to report. On the maroon Avanti, I did start it to bring up the coolant temp for a short run.

On the R-5 engine, I also have made a deal on a set of unused R-3 pistons that I hope can be altered into the low compression R-5 ones that I need. Remains to be seen if they are thick enough on top to allow some milling.

On the Stoddard Dayton, the oil gauge line is done and test fitted. I also have dropped the oil pan to allow tightening of a fitting inside the case. Photos enclosed showing the oiling system. The many oil lines from the manifold, one shot shows the line, fitting and elbow that feeds the oil through the case wall and then to the regulator line. That's the reason for dropping the pan. Other points of interest in there are: oil pump, the circular slinger on the crank arm for making the oil pressure for the rod. Also you can see the line inside the connecting rod beam that feeds the wrist pin.

Next project will be the fabrication of new gaskets before the pan is put back."

post-48480-143138465872_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138465886_thumb.jpg

post-48480-1431384659_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138465914_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138465928_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138465932_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138465936_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313846594_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138465944_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, March 1st. Greg did some work last night. Here is his report.

"Slaving over a hot stove.

Spent this evening pouring babbitt. Stayed with the three remaining Peerless throwout bearings. I may have to go back and touch up some of them. One especially. It sprung a leak while cooling. I might be able to flow a little babbitt into the voids. Or not. I can always repour them. One thing about babbitt work. If you aren't satisfied, back into the pot.

No Avanti work tonight. I did call about the seat spring being derusted. It is in the tank, maybe done by weekend."

post-48480-143138466998_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, March 2nd. A very nice day indeed with a temp of 64 degrees.

So I was able to finally spend a few hours with the 1923 McLaughlin Buick. She started right up as usual and backed her out into the sun. Boy, feels good.

Decided I would install the kick plates I purchased on Ebay during the dark winter. Three were NOS and one was a new cast aluminum plate of one of the NOS ones. The new one looked too new and was not finished so spent a couple of hours with the Dremel tool and a small grinding wheel to clean it up. When that was done it still looked new so decided to use my polishing wheel and a bit of polish to buff it to a darker patina. That took about 30 minutes. Then I installed them all. For placement I used a McLaughlin Buick advertisement from 1923, and that advertisement is attached.

Here are a couple of before and after pictures. These kick plates were a standard item for the McLaughlins.

post-48480-143138468821_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138468835_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138468838_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, March 3rd. Frost on the pumpkin this morning, err well if there were any left. A cold front moved into the area from Canada. Thanks Canada. It was in the teens this morning.

There is a lot of action at Greg's place. Here is his evenings report.

"OK, busy day, busy evening.

Peerless engine: Set up and faced both sides of the bearings. Next to do the layout of the oil grooving and make a fixture for the CNC guy to hold them in his mill to do all eight sides.

Stoddard engine: Was able to remove the tray from the oil pan so that I can clean everything.

Avanti. Yesterday evening I drove it around the place maybe two miles total. Power steering pump still leaking so tonight I removed it. Think I'll take it with me to York. I'm to pick up a rebuilt spare, so might as well drop this one off for a rebuild.

R-5 Avanti engine: The set of R-3 pistons arrived today thanks to Brad Bez. He did a great job of packing and they got here in good shape and good time. I've had a couple minutes to compare an R-3 and an R-4 piston."

post-48480-143138469287_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138469291_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138469295_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138469299_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138469303_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138469307_thumb.jpg

Roger, great question. I did not know, so asked Greg. Here is his response.

John, The one with the hump is the high compression (12:1 compression R-4, the two four barrel carbureted engine).

The flat top piston is for the R-3 (9:6:1 supercharged single four barrel engine).

The R-5 used 8.75:1 ratio which by verbal description is the R-3 flat top piston with material removed from the deck by angle milling on one side on center with the pin. Still doing the math on that.

GREG.

It is Monday, March 7th. It was a gusher yesterday, we received a bit over two inches of rain in about twelve hours. Pastures are sure to be a mess for a couple of days.

Greg went to York, PA on Friday for the annual flea/swap meet for Studebaker fans in this area. He said he did not get much, but wanted to pick up a rebuilt power steering pump for the Avanti. Well, the pump was not ready so he came home empty handed.

But he presssed on as usual. Here is his report.

"Sunday show and tell.

First pic. Removed the Avanti power steering pump. To check for the leak I connected the output and the return line with hose, spun it up in the lathe and varied the flow by pinching the hose. No leak to be found.

Put it back on the car and tried it. Hosed the place down with red fluid. With the engine running I was able to see fluid getting by the shaft seal. Removed the pump from the car again, replaced the front seal and then rereinsalled the pump. Tried it, seems to be holding. Raining too hard to go try it outside.

Next pic: The Stoddard Dayton engine oil pan and strainer. All clean and now with the strainer reinstalled (I seem to do a lot of re... lately), it's ready to be replaced under the car.

Next pic: As I glanced out the machine shop window towards the lake, I saw one of the neighbors (a Bald Eagle) strolling along the boss' lake, about to poach a fish. Using this old Sony digital floppy disc camera, I was able to zoom in on it just as the boss went running and flapping his arms in it's direction. Boss wants the fish for himself.

Next pic: Theton called and wanted to borrow the slip roll. He's working on making new fenders for my Stoddard car. Here he's rolling the contour.

Last pic: Here he has persuaded the fender "flat" into the approximate shape. He'll complete the shaping by hand to fit the wooden buck. Note our newly painted shop floor. Casting is a leftover from our 1903 Flyer project.

post-48480-14313847351_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138473514_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138473518_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138473521_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138473526_thumb.jpg

Since Greg is including more work on his Stoddard Dayton race car I thought I would post a few pics.

Greg has done almost all of the work to bring the car back from a pile of rusted metal to including all of the mechanicals, engine, transmission, and body. He has hand formed the cowling, front fenders, hood and gas tank. He has made the seats too, but the Amish did the upholstery work. He is a true, multi-talented, restorer.

He told me that the gentleman working on the rear fenders wanted to do it as a learning project. So Greg made the buck and let him have a go.

The pics are as follows:

A pic of the car as it exists today at his place of work.

A pic of a similar car early in the last century.

A pic of a similar restored car at a racetrack. I think in Ohio.

A pic of his front fender and buck.

post-48480-143138473799_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138473804_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138473807_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138473809_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, March 8th. Off to see Greg today in the Avanti. Going to give him my old digital camera to hopefully replace the old monster that he has. Remember floppy discs? That is is digital storage media for the camera. Now that is old.

Here is his report from last night. "A quick note tonight.

Fetched the hood for the Avanti. Unimogjohn is to come by tomorrow and I'll get him to help me put the hinges and screws in.

Got word from Thetan about further adventures in fender land. The boy might be on a roll. Pic included."

post-48480-143138474972_thumb.jpg

It is still Tuesday. Went up and saw Greg. Helped him put on the hood of the Avanti. I did take our Avanti. Started just fine and we cruised down the country lanes. A very good ride. Here are a couple of pics of Greg's Avanti in the barn.

Also stopped by a farm down the road. Got a call from the owner that he just bought a 2009 Kubota tractor with loader and back-hoe. He is a great guy so just had to stop by. Here are a few pics of his $50,000 tractor. That is one "hot" tractor.

post-48480-143138475372_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138475388_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138475403_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138475418_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138475434_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138475449_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138475464_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, March 9th. Heading up on the ladders this morning. Checking the gutters for any blockages on the house as we are going to get over three inches of rain in 24 hours. Yikes! Expect major flooding in the low areas and streams. Glad that we are on top of a ridge line at 640 feet.

Greg did a couple of things after I left. Oh and I did stop at another auto paint place. I guess he is high end. He wants $10,000 to bring it in the door of his shop, a year, and then it will be probably closer to $15,000 when done. Needless to say I listen, turned and ran out the door. Maaco is looking better.

Here is Greg's report.

"three pics for tonight.

Theton is pushing on Stoddard steel. Shot of forming the fender edging.

John came by and held the hood in place for me to put the screws to it. It's on with enough adjustment to allow it to close without barking paint.

Two pics of the Avanti in the setting sun. Starting to look like a car. Needs lots of adjustments. The trim and interior won't hold up a trip to the painter when he calls. He'll do some touch-up. Afterward I can hang the remaining emblems, wipers, and other exterior gadgets. I estimate the car will be roadworthy at about four dollars a gallon."

post-48480-143138475665_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138475691_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138475695_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, March 10th. Rained hard last night and more coming today. 3/4 of an inch so far.

A movie production is coming to our little VA town of Warrenton. Clint Eastwood is filming "J Edgar". They are using our old town main street and Court House as a scene in the movie. They have put out a call for some local vintage cars. I have offered both of mine. The this part of the film is set in 1932. It will be an all day deal for a 30 second shot. So we will see.

Greg is working hard at work and his projects. Here is his report.

"I've had the lathe tied up for my day job, and tonight I was able to sneak in a quick job for the Peerless Engine Department. A quick and dirty fixture for locating the throwout bearings in the mill when cutting the oil grooving. Eight sides to do.

Also, back in '05 I bought a set of 1964 Virginia plates . This state allows the use of tags the year of manufacture. Since the Avanti was built in January of the '63 model year, I intended to use the black on white tag of that year. But, this car had been recalled (make that repossessed) to the dealer who turned a wrecked gold 63 into a new maroon '64. There's no convincing the DMV that it isn't a sixty-four. So anyway, now I can't find the plates. A phone call to the plate collector verified that he had more sets, so I made the drive.

As soon as I have insurance verification, I can get the car licensed."

post-48480-143138476198_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138476447_thumb.jpg

It is Friday, March 11th. Another big rain storm hit us again last night. In 24 hours we received 3.25 inches of rain. Needless to say we just hunkered down yesterday and did not do much.

But Greg was busy. Here is his report.

"Tonight's story.

Enclosed is Thetan's latest in the Stoddard Dayton fender saga. The inner aprons for the rear fenders. The boy's got talent.

And speaking of boys with talent, my tonight's agenda was detoured by a call from Mitch. His lathe had fallen ill, a worn bushing giving him motor trouble. Vital to his needs, I took the order over the phone and turned him a replacement.

Mitch Sine is "one of us", although he is a bit younger than most who are interested in learning about the old ways. He got it honestly, from his Dad. Mitch spends his nights and weekends doing such things as engine repair, mostly antique, and the pursuit of the babbitting profession among other things.

Having been involved with the repair of old iron for so many, he's quite an asset. And I still can't believe that the kid with the Model T speedster has just turned fifty. Happy Birthday Mitch. Keep your babbitt pot hot and your boring bar too.

Your bushing is ready for pickup."

post-48480-143138477108_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138477133_thumb.jpg

It is Monday, March 14th. No car stuff for me. It is almost spring so Alice has be out with my favorite pruning tool, a chainsaw. We had some huge Juniper bushes, maybe 20 foot diameter spread, that needed to go as they had been crushed by the snow two years ago.

But Greg presses on. He has no farm work to do. Here is his report.

"Looks like Thetan and I both got in some Stoddard Dayton time.

Enclosed pics of progress on the rear fender skirts. Sure looks good from here! Saturday found me laying under the car getting the gaskets in place, not the next trip should find the pan in place, oil and fittings too.

The Studebaker Avanti got some attention today. I found and installed that green jumper wire that runs from the starter solenoid to the ignition. Also , the left headlamp and parking light wiring was secured, the horn too. The right parking light bulbsocket is shaky, so I'm not sure how to repair that situation.

Otherwise, Friday saw my trying to get the car licensed. Major problems thrown at me by the VA DMV and related insurance. I was actually turned down by one insurance carrier because...get this...they won't insure Studebaker car or trucks...

I really need to look into this. And find out what other cars are on their No-No list. It really is a good example of how older cars could easily be legislated off the road.

But, daffodils, spring peepers, longer days... that will add up to Springtime."

post-48480-143138479847_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138479872_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138479896_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313847992_thumb.jpg